Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Would you please? Names too if you could. Thanks

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Gimme a break man; I'm trying to enjoy my retirement and if I did that the phone wouldn't stop ringing from at least two dozen NFL teams that would be begging me to come replace all those football professionals who have never been able to make the system work.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

They're all project quarterbacks. None have all the tools and their head screwed on straight. The ones who look most ready to go now may never make it; the ones who look like they need the most help may wake up tomorrow as superheroes. It's all a roll of the dice or, in this case, four rolls of the dice.

4. MizzouJet

MizzouJet Well-Known Member

I'm sure Macc was kicking the tires with all those ahead of him, it takes time. The Colts only had #3 to offer so not sure I read much into the Jets contacted the Colts 4-5 days ago.

We do know however that the trade was finalized after Rosen's pro day...when Macc was confident he could in all likelihood get one of them both at #3.

Honestly, at #3, if Macc also thinks Darnold or Allen would be OK at #3, then he's probably sleeping a lot better tonight. Would he want his 1st choice? I'm sure he would...but if he was gonna draft one of these guys at #6 regardless, sitting at #6 and taking the chance all 4 were gone by then was unacceptable. With if CLE, NYG, a potential trade up, and DEN ahead of them in the draft at #6, it was a distinct possibility .

5. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Mac showed some balls and went for it. Good for him.

If both Darnold and Rosen are gone, I would like to see the Jets acquire Allen because you are going to need his arm in cold windy winter months.

Even Mayfield is a possible good choice.

No matter what happens, Mac deserves credit for having the balls to move up to the #3 spot!

God bless the Jets selection at #3 amen!

6. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with this trade. The Jets have no chance of winning a Super Bowl if they don't find a franchise QB. I think with this trade Mac is targeting either Rosen or Allen.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Yeah, not really that enthusiastic about the price here. This is where the Jets should have been picking all along if they'd have tanked properly instead of playing that stiff McCown all season. And they'd still have all those second round picks too.

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Based on what? Please elaborate.

9. legler82

If you trade up to the 3rd spot before the draft, you must have 3 targets unless you are a f*cking idiot.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. legler82

We don't have the 1st pick, Rosen can be gone by 3. Mac must be comfortable with at least 3 of the top QBs to make this move.

11. legler82

I think in the HISTORY of the draft only one QB under 6'2" was ever drafted in the 1st round; that was Johnny Manziel and he was drafted 22nd overall. Beyond that only a limited amount of QBs under that benchmark have found opportunity let alone success. Drafting Mayfield at 3 would mean, he is the best sub 6'2' "prospect" EVER!!! I find it hard to believe that a GM would make such an unprecedented move after already trading up; that would be the ultimate double whammy. Sell me on times have changed with regards to height and by that I mean suddenly this year it doesn't matter. However, don't try to sell me on Mayfield breaking the mold and being that much more of a better than short QB prospects of the past (e.g., Wilson, Brees, Daniels, Manziel...etc.). Put the pipes down Mayfield fans; the kid is good but he is not trading up to #3 or making history good.

#751 legler82, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What are this weeks lottery numbers mate ?

13. legler82

Why can't he start and what have you read?

14. legler82

Why is he a "huge project"?

Ralebird likes this.
  15. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Cheers for the link, Brad. Now to draft our FQB. Draft day will be exciting and hopefully the next 10-15 years too. :)

Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. legler82

"Project" followed by "raw" and "ready on Day 1" are the most laziest of box score scouting terms. Having perceived or actual accuracy issues does NOT make you a project. While it doesn't guarantee he will be any good, Allen is probably the most "Day 1" ready QBs in this draft not named Josh Rosen. He comes from a pro-style offense, has called plays in the huddle, experienced with taking snaps from under center, calling protection, doesn't have glaring footwork or mechanics issue, he's not a statue who can't escape pocket when need be ...etc...etc. All the stuff he needs to improve on (accuracy, touch, process speed) require reps, not more time sideline with a personal QB coach working on some sh*t like his throwing motion or footwork. He can come in and at least run a NFL offense right away. That can't be said about everyone.

Say he stinks or inaccurate but don't call him a project. We throw that word out so loosely that it has lost its meaning in the realm of football. A project is someone you draft with the intention of changing or teaching completely new concepts to not some you hope improves certain areas of his game. Petty was a project. I think Lamar Jackson is a project; IMO he need to be taught or re-taught footwork. I'll add Hack to that list ONLY because he keeps tinkering with his mechanics and footwork in the hopes of improving his accuracy. IMO Hack think he's just erratic thrower; no amount of tinkering is going to change that.

#756 legler82, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  17. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Because it's gonna happen?
    More likely than our GM taking one of these question mark QB's in this shitty class.
    But you being as you are, I knew you couldn't resist saying something negative toward my posts.
    Which QB would you pick? Let's hear the great GangGreen discussion board QB guru speak.....
    Watch and learn again little man.
    It's easy proving you a jack ass. I don't have to say much, just watch you go.
    You think that 3 QB's will go 1,2,3 in this draft? You are really dumb about football aren't you?
    You are a funny guy.
    I can't wait till the draft. I'll prove you and all your QB guru nonsense wrong once again.

18. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Trading up to get Barkley makes way more sense than drafting a QB "because we need a franchise QB."
    Which one of these QB's are a sure fire cornerstone to our team for the next decade?
    Also Mr. Bates is qualified to run an offense, which he has never done, with a rookie QB, if not this year or the next?
    Mac can't be so stupid to trade away our draft considering all the unknowns with the coaching staff, to grab a QB in a class that does not have an opening day starter in it.
    He is thinking Playmaker, not grooming another QB.
    There isn't a QB in this class worth a high 1st and two 2nds.
    Barkley is worth a high 1st and two 2nds.
    Barkley instantly makes our team better as long as he is on the field.
    So which QB is gonna be more valuable to their team than Barkley?
    If Mac doesn't draft Barkley, he is an idiot.
    The whole concept of "the world turns as we look for a FQB", is stupid.
    McCown put up better numbers last year, than this class will next year in the NFL.
    Barkley, welcome to the NY JETS!!!!

James Hasty likes this.
  19. Vida

Vida Active Member

So the Bills are gonna trade up ahead of us at 3 but they wouldn't have done that at 6? This must be what yoyre intimating if you think we would've drafted a top 3 QB at 6. Make no sense.

Other things in this thread that make no sense;
    - it's really only 2 2nds cos we lucked out on the Richardson pick
    - 2nds are worthless because we have a bad record with them

NCJetsfan and Ralebird like this.
  20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

2nds aren't worthless but not the sure fire starters that some would like you to believe they are and the fact is we have sucked at picking them for some time and that includes the guy picking them now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.