Poll: Was the move to #3 the right thing to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Mar 17, 2018.

?

How do you feel about the move to trade up to #3?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2018.
  1. Gave up way too much! Stupid move...

24.2%
  2. Very excited! Let’s get that Franchise QB!

75.8%
  1. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

No question it was the correct move.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I don't like the move because I don't think any of these QBs are going to be franchise QBs anywhere and aren't worth a top 3 pick. I'd rather have traded down and stacked our offensive line and built a team that can thrive with a good young QB. As unlikely as it is I hope we trade down for two 1s, failing that I hope we take Barkley.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A Yes-No poll does not work on this question. You need the third option of: Depends on who the Jets pick or what else they choose to do with the pick.

At the moment I'd be on that choice as the most likely to be correct.

If the Jets wind up taking Barkley, Nelson or any defensive player the trade up was a disaster.

If they get their guy at QB or recoup all the value lost in the trade up by trading out it was break-even or a bit better.

If they get the best QB in the draft it was a brilliant move given the talent in this year's draft.

NYJetsO12, xxedge72x and Royal Tee like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You don't avoid picking the player, but trading the farm for him maybe isn't the best idea. But I've been debating with myself and I've decided I support the move. We need a QB and if we stayed at 6 we would have been shut out.

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

The only knock on the trade is that It's not for the 2nd pick. I would greatly prefer Rosen or Darnold, but I'll be content with Mayfield. I think Cleveland and NYG go QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The ignorance in these threads is mind boggling and astounding! I can't read any more. I'm losing IQ points by reading some of this clueless garbage.

BomberJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sounds bad. Do you have any left?

BomberJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Remember that the GMs that do THEIR research and are drafting at the top of the draft are GMs that generally suck. Guys who have had little or no success finding talent. Thus picking at the top of the draft. Getting back to the tv experts, newspaper experts, etc.. I agree, I trust none of the so called experts.. MY point here is that there is no clear cut #1 franchise QB out there. There is no Luck, or Manning. A can't miss, franchise QB. Again the last time we moved up to get one his name was Sanchez.

I base my opinion on what they did in their college career. How they preformed under pressure. Any character issues. Combine preformance, and press reports on pro days. Most of these SNY, ESPN experts drive me crazy with there inside info. Last year I wanted Mahomes, but I heard so much BS on Mahomes it was crazy. People on tv were talking about him and I know they never saw him play. With the trade up by KC it was a moot point anyway. Plus Mahomes isn't proven yet.

Will there be a franchise QB or two in the top five QB prospects? I think so. Who will it be? We have probably a 40 percent chance of getting it right and 60 percent chance of landing another Sanchez. Selecting that FQB is so hard because there are so many intangibles that define success for these kids.. Its not always the best arm, the most prolific passer, the smartest QB, or the kid with the best leadership traits. We have all seen kids with these traits that failed. Its a gamble. I really hope I am wrong and we hit a home run with this move but ....

9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

While I hate that we gave up so much with a CHANCE of us still getting the player we want @ 6 (whoever that may be).

3 years from today we find out that the QB that was drafted @#3 is the Next great NFL QB, we would probably slit our wrists..
    ...and think If he was playing in Buffalo because we refused to trade up...lol

meh, I'm good with it if we get the guy, If we don't then I'll be pissed! so Option 3.

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I read that we tried to get the #1 & #2 picks but they were to costly.

11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

True, but you will never get a FQB if you don't try. You have to gamble, and sometimes get lucky. Nothing is clear cut, that is what makes the sport interesting. Knowing how every pick was going to turn out would be like watching a football game when you know who won.

#91 BudJet, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Cleveland won't trade #1

Their not playing Moneyball anymore and years of trading out and missing players. It won't happen again with #1. They won't get cute and try and get a #qb with 4. Dorsey is there to build a team and he'll do it quickly.

Giants - everyone says they should take a qb with this draft class. But I don't see them putting that much pressure on eli rather than support him. Hope they don't trade out of the position and they get the guard or Barkley.

The bills - have started to move up and are going after a qb. They've shown their hand early and probably have to trade up to 4/5 now to go get their qb. This actually has probably really pissed the bills off.

Broncos- anyone who thinks that a 18mil a year keenum stops them chasing a qb is foolish. Don't know why elway gets this big pass after his mess up with qbs. He got manning in and every single thing after it has been a shitshow. Paxton lynch was a much more foolish move than hack was

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

dogg likes this.
  13. BLottZ

BLottZ Member

IMO Rosen will be there at 3, I really doubt the Giants are trading and I really cant see them taking a QB when they feel like they have a roster that can win now. The trade is definitely worth it. Look at what the Skins gave up to move up 2 spots for RG3. We can't sit back any longer and wait, this is the year where I and others believe there are 3 FQBs available so having the #3 pick guarantees one of them.

NYJetsO12 and dogg like this.
  14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Some of these media people talk like experts n have never seen these kids play a full game. This is a lot like playing poweball. U can’t win if u don’t buy a ticket. Mac just bought 3 powerballs. Now comes the hard part

njjets93 likes this.
  15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

If they picked a rb I would become a giant fan

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

starting to feel quite antsy about the move up to #3 - feel like someone is going to move up to #2 and so with the Browns almost certainly taking a QB at #1 and whomever is at #2 also taking a QB we are probably going to get the consensus third best QB after giving up an awful lot of trade capital - would be feeling a lot happier if we had moved to #2 (which is in trade value terms pretty much what we gave up)

Also - again shows the pointless nature of those few wins we managed to squeeze out last year - if you are going to suck then go big!

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I mean there is a really good chance the top 3 picks are locked at this point.

I know the Giants are smokescreening the hell out of not wanting a QB, but at the end of the day, Eli is 38, and who knows the next time the Giants are drafting this high.

If that is the case, 1 and 2 aren't for sale. If both teams think they have a QB they obviously aren't trading out.

If this is how it's played out, than I think Mac made an excellent move. He's now controlling his own destiny by getting as high a pick as possible. I have my Mayfield jersey on pre-order.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

No clue what #2 would've cost, but I was thinking we should have offered 2 1s and a 2. I like that we preserved next year's 1, but it Rosen/Darnold or bust in my opinion. Trading 3 2s left the cupboard relatively empty with respect to our ability to move up another spot or 2.

19. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The risk of the trade is that there's still very much the possibility that Mac's guy won't be on the board when we get to pick. My feeling would be, that if you're going to pay the kind of king's ransom we paid to simply move up a few spots, then you've got to move up to a position where you know that you can get the guy that you want. If the Browns and Giants go Darnold-Rosen to start off the draft, we'll have given up a lot of draft picks to be left standing there picking from what's left over of the 1st round QB class. I definitely don't think that Mayfield or Allen are worth the trade that we just made, yet there's still the risk that they'll be the ones remaining when we go on the clock.

njjets93 likes this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This exactly.

There are several facets to how this turns out:

1) Is our draft pick a QB? If not, trading up was retarded.

2) Is our QB a bust? If yes, trading up was a waste.

3) Is our QB a good fit in our system and able to thrive in it? If yes, this is a good sign.

4) If Bowles and Mac end up getting fired anyway, will the QB work well with the next coaching staff's scheme? If yes, this pick probably works out overall, and likely means that Mac and Bowles were fired for other reasons.

5) Is our QB consistently a top 12 performer? If yes, this is a good pick. Anything more than this, and we'll all remember this trade fondly.

NYJetsO12, HomeoftheJets and Br4d like this.