Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

I read Quite the opposite they are matching these Qbs evenly. now they are saying Allen is the best QBs have the Browns taking him #1.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Barf lmao. No shot thought. Rosen or Mayfield are going to be on this team. What we all should be praying for is Macc not drafting Allen as he is a huge project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Is there any chance Barkley is the pick??

It’s got to be for a FQB right?

4. WayneG99

WayneG99 New Member

The Jets absolutely had to trade up. With 5 spots ahead of them for 4 QBs, there were potentially (and likely) 4 teams that would have taken a QB before them. Cleveland for sure. The Giants very possible. Indy was looking to trade out with Buffalo looking to move up as well as potentially Arizona and Miami. Denver was another logical spot. That's a potential disaster situation that the Jets could not afford to risk.

A few days ago, I wanted the Jets to trade up to 3, but I thought 2 seconds would do it (this year and one next year). I thought the trade was an over-payment, but considering the risk of Buffalo (and perhaps even Miami) willing to move ahead of them, it's a payment they had to make to assure themselves of one of 3 possible QBs. Will they get the guy of their choice? Maybe/probably not. However, the top 3 QBs are light years ahead of whatever they have on the roster.

I would have preferred keeping one of those second round picks, but so be it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only way I can see BArkley being taken by Macc - and I really don't think will happen - is if he only likes 2 of the QBs and they're both gone by his pick. He traded up to get a FQB.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

My thoughts too.

I think he likes Rosen and Mayfield personally. As much I want Allen I think he likes Rosen and Mayfield

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Allen could develop, but with his accuracy issues, slowness to read Ds and make decisions, it's more likely that he's a bust. He has two years of collegiate starting experience and actually regressed his 2nd year.

Mayfield has the best accuracy of any QB in the draft, has the 2nd strongest arm, is the best at creating and sustaining plays, is a fiery leader and competitor, is mobile, has a high football IQ, is a hard worker, and a leader. He has 4 years of collegiate starting experience and has gotten better with each year.

Rosen is the best natural passer in the draft. He has a very strong arm, is smart, with a high football IQ. He has 2 1/2 years of collegiate starting experience.

The odds against Allen being better than either Mayfield or Rosen are probably astronomical.

Yes, FQBs can be found in later rounds, but the chances are much greater high in the 1st round. The Jets have never been that lucky to find FQB in a mid or lower round. Few teams are.

The league is not full of FQBs. There are few of them. That's why so many teams want one.

#707 NCJetsfan, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  8. NCJetsfan

Yes it is when your team hasn't had a franchise QB since Chad Pennington and before that it was Ken O'Brien, and you bypass taking a potential FQB for a RB or damn OG. That's nuts. If you can't understand why, then I can't help you, but you certainly don't understand how the NFL works.

9. ColoradoContrails

I hope they do!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I wanted them to draft a RB in the 2nd round, but knew they weren't after they signed Crowell. Mac could still draft one if there's one they really like in the 3rd round or lower. As long as they're working to upgrade the offense and add some playmakers for Baker and Teddy instead of D players, I would be perfectly happy.

11. NCJetsfan

Dude, you are so ignorant it's sad. You obviously know nothing about the QBs, specifically Mayfield. You're judging him solely on the fact that he played in a spread offense and isn't 6'4".

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One small advantage of making this trade so early is it tells the league (and FAs) the Jets are no longer rudderless. It's not easy attracting top FAs when we don't even have a QB. Players like to have a sense of how good a team is that they are considering. The assumption going forward is the Jets will have a top, young QB and this could make a difference to some FAs Macc is talking to.

13. ColoradoContrails

Good point!

egelband likes this.
  14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Yup, truth is Crowell could be just as good as any running back we got in the second anyway, it's a crap shoot. Me and lots of other people said after Cousins went to Minnesota we HAD to trade up. Staying put wasn't an option if we were going QB.

NYJetsO12, MJK, egelband and 2 others like this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's getting some traction now. I don't know much about him tho. Wish I had seen more of him. I think he might be being stereotyped negatively. There's a couple of guys here making some excellent points about him and really pounding the table for him. There's a lot of people like Mike Mayock in the media that like him too. I wouldn't be the least surprised if he's taken in the top three, top two even. Or that we want him.
    There's a lot more to be gleaned in the next six weeks for the fans that are interested. These rankings change every year the closer you get to draft day, often drastically, and can be much different than the early stuff put out in the media that fans see initially.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Exactly! Clearly, the guy has no clue what he's talking about. He's probably never seen one minute of any of them playing. He ruled out Mayfield because he isn't 6'4" and played in a spread offense. He fell in love with Allen's big arm and athleticism. Never mind that Allen is a project, and quite likely a big project, and the most likely bust of the top 4 QBs. Never mind also that Allen isn't a fit at all for the Jets' offense.

17. NCJetsfan

No, it doesn't. That's just dumb. Mac is NOT gonna take Barkley at #3. You don't burn all that draft capital to take a freaking RB, especially when there are a lot of other great RB prospects in the draft that aren't that far behind Barkley.

NYJetsO12 and egelband like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

And we could always trade down in the 1st round and recoup the 2nd round pick!

NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  19. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Without reading 36 pages, what if we take Chubb or Barkley due to faith in Teddy?

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

No way. Hopefully Tedy balls anyway