Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think McCown will open training camp as the starter, and if the rookie or Bridgewater clearly outplay him in the preseason, the rookie/Bridgewater will start Week 1.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

New CBA. When the Giants traded for Eli they were screwing themselves not only in terms of pick value but also on the cap if he failed to produce.

I think the Jets trade up here is more on par with the Eagles trade up for Wentz. Neither team could know who they were getting at the time they made the trade and both paid about the eqiuvalent of the 3rd overall pick as a premium over the trade value of the pick to move up. The Eagles also effectively traded Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell in the deal.

For certainty the Rams paid significantly more than the Jets or the Eagles, giving up the value of the #1 overall pick according to the Stuart chart as a premium over the value of the #1 pick itself.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Mac takes Barkley instead of Mayfield he should be fired on the spot. You don't spend all that capital to move up to take a damn RB!

4. Br4d

I have no idea who Mac likes but I am pretty sure he has a 1a, 1b, 1c prioritization on them at this point.

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

"Sigh", what are you a 13 year old teenage girl? I read what you wrote and it made no sense, thus my reply. Do you really think it took Jimmy Johnson putting numbers to positions for GMs and coaches to know what they had? That has to be one of the stupidest things posted here, and we have NCjets.

I went on to disprove your 2nd point by posting recent examples, which you actually acknowledged were lopsided one way or the other. The fact that in one case the team giving up less value, according to your chart, got the bad end of the trade, and vice versa, the team receiving more got the bad end of the trade, further proves my point that the chart is not a good judge of trade value. It is more based upon the players available in the current draft.

You last point is also off the mark, if the team waits and the player they want is available but 3 other teams want that player at that pick, chances are the cost shoots up. It's a calculated play. Calling it "the worst part" without seeing how things play out is just the whining associated with too many Jets fans.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

C'mon man. Give it up already. We all know what's gonna happen, even you. Fuhgeddiboutit

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Br4d

Just to lighten things up a bit:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/ :)

Yes, you read that right, Mason Rudolph is the #1 QB in this draft and Lamar Jackson is #2 and neither of them make the top 10...

CBS likely outsourced their prospect rankings to Sashi Brown this year who in turn passed the contract to three Bangladeshis who started watching the NFL last season and have become experts.

"Man, that Bradley Chubb, he could kill a tiger with his bare hands! Like 7 Bangladeshi men would fit in his uniform!!!"

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I certainly hope they do.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes good point.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're way underestimating the difference that a true FQB makes in even getting to, let alone winning, a SB. Sure, a less-than-FQB can get you to the playoffs and maybe to the Conf. CG, but the teams that win the most are the ones who have that difference-maker at QB who can make his team rise above all the dubious ref calls and bad bounces, and all the things that go wrong to keep a team from winning. Sanchez was not a FQB, he was a slightly above average one who was carried by the talent around him. Eli Manning IS a FQB, and because he was the Giants won 2 SBs with him that with a guy like Sanchez they probably wouldn't have even gotten to the game.

You want to try and win with a mediocre QB you need to have almost every other single part of your team being All Pro to make up for his deficiency. It'll take years for the Jets to build a roster like that, if they even can do it, and based upon their drafting and FA signing history that's not going to happen any time soon.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Rockinz

True.

He at least has put himself in a position to draft his guy. That’s showing me some decisive action. Now he needs to deliver on his evaluation.

NYJetsO12, ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  12. Rockinz

No doubt. Everyone has overpaid for their FQB...

Look at Chicago last year for one spot... Philly and LA for Goff and Wentz.

If it works out and u get your gut for a decade + then it’s worth an extra 2nd rounder

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I keep seeing articles and posts saying the Jets must have this one guy they fell in love with and therefore moved up to get him. Really weird.

We have so many knowledgeable fans on this board. I'm not one of them, but those that actually know these QB's and watch a ton of college ball are completely divided about who is the best.

I'm assuming the Jets FO is circumspect and divided in the same way. Some probably prefer one guy to another, but on the whole they're looking at these guys the same way we are. "They" haven't fallen in love with one guy, because "they" aren't one guy anymore than we are. I believe that on the whole, the Jets are simply trying to make absolutely sure they get one of them. And now they have.

Could they have gotten one of these dudes at 6? Possibly. But possibly not.

I was really torn on this trade all day, but I think I'll sleep easier tonight knowing for sure that Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield will be a Jet in a few weeks. .

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

You know it’s draft season when the first thing I did after seeing this picture was compare the calf sizes of Rodgers and Rosen to see if I should be concerned about his build haha

Br4d likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

LMAO all good. we've all been there before :)

16. GasedAndConfused

eagles knew they were getting wentz or goff though

Br4d likes this.
  17. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Giants like Webb a lot and Eli has 2 more years left. It makes a lot of sense for them to draft Barkley. They signed Solder for their line and could add in later rounds.

Jets want Rosen. I am sure of it.

18. GasedAndConfused

so you weren't aware of how the draft or trades went down back in the 60s and 70s?

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised that you would make a response like this?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Br4d

I'm not sure on Rosen but you're right that Barkley is one of the logical choices for the Giants at #2. They have Eli + Webb at QB and OBJ at WR and they have no #1 RB to complement them. If the Giants really want to play Eli for another year there's a strong incentive to give him a chance to win the 3rd Super Bowl and Barkley probably does that better than any other player in the draft.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.