Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless they love Barkley that much. But I think you're right.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sigh, you know if people would read and comprehend, instead of just skipping over words because they want to make a snarky reply, the forum would be better

What i said was, prior to the chart being made, there was no STANDARD value of picks and making trades for them were never consistent. after people started using the chart, trades became a lot more consistent.

as far as those trades goes
    the skins completely fucked up, they spent way too much to move up and get RG just as we did. on top of that RG3 was a bust. you know who the rams drafted with those picks? jenkins, oldetree, and robinson. they got a pro bowl CB, a solid O-lineman, and a solid RB. and they were still able to draft goff shortly after and goff is a FQB. so how did selling the farm work out for the skins?

for the fins, that was a bad trade for oakland and the fins got over on them.

here is the worst part, i understand your point about taking the player available into account, that's why most of these trades are made during the draft when the team is on the clock with the player you want available. There is no player now becuase we don't know who mac wants or who will be picked. if he really loved darnold and the browns took barkely and the giants took rosen and the colts are there at 3 with darnold on the board, and we make this trade for him, I understand. but we didn't, we made the trade weeks before the draft and other teams could be calling the giants right now and both rosen and darnold could be gone when we pick, and allen, mayfield, and jackson IMO are not worth taking at 3 at all or even 6.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That makes even less sense than what you previously said. Yes, $5 is $5 but if you base your purchases on the value of an item from 20 years ago you can get ripped off. Go buy yourself a Nokia 6110 for $1000 today and someone will be smiling but it won't be you.

In your Sanchez trade example you say the 3 players were out of the NFL shortly after the trade? 2 of the 3 played for another 4 years (Ratliff another 2), the average length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. Between them they started 101 games, pretty good for back ups. Either you didn't think I would know who they traded or you didn't know they actually stuck around. You say they gave up much less for Sanchez but looking at the number of starts they got out of Sanchez, who got the better end of that.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd take Mayfield, but will be happy with either Mayfield or Rosen. I'll thank heaven that it isn't Darnold, Allen, or some other player.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Not true. Mac was at Mayfield's Pro Day the day before.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Good point. You would have to imagine we approached the Giants with the same offer and they denied us. So you're probably right that means the G Men are going QB. I don't like any of these guys (QBs) really but if one was forced on me I would want either Darnold or Rosen, if both are gone and Mac forces one of the other 2 on us..............

SOJ

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You are right! Why the hell resign McNown????????????????????? Toilet Bowl will play him every snap and Bridgewater, Mayfield, and probably Hackenberg will pick pines all year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

terrible grade based on his own cons of the trade

So the Jets paid more than the Giants did for Eli and we don’t even know who the Jets will be drafting since they don’t control the destiny of the 3rd pick. My biggest question for the Jets is, why now? Were they afraid of a bidding war if the Colts were on the clock? Are they really so comfortable with three different quarterbacks that it just isn’t that big a deal to them which one reaches the 3rd pick? Is there any precedent in the history of NFL personnel departments where a team agreed three top of the draft quarterbacks were completely equal?

Barnwell isn’t as high on the Jets’ side of this deal as I am, in part because he doesn’t like that the Jets have no control over who gets to them. He says their aggressive move may not have been aggressive enough and they should have catapulted higher up the board.

he then goes on to call teddy a bad signing. this guy writing the articled just doens't get it

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This makes sense, except that I think Macc rates Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold all pretty evenly, and one of them will still be there when he picks. However if he really does only like 2 and they're both gone by #3, I guess this would be an option.

NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

or they felt barkly being the best player in the draft was worth more to them then the extra picks?

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bowles didn't play Petty and Hack not because they're young, he didn't play them because they suck.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the guy the Jets picked hits the ground running and Bridgewater looks healthy in training camp I have little doubt that the Jets could get a draft pick or two in exchange for Bridgewater once the inevitable camp injuries happened. No idea if they could get a bidding war going and make the pick(s) involved significant but I'm pretty sure a healthy Teddy Bridgewater on a $5M deal with incentives is worth a day two draft pick in 2019,

13. GasedAndConfused

according to reports mac doens't think mayfield is worth a top 3 picks
    allen is also a "mac" like QB prospect and similar to what he loved about hack.

if anything his top 3 would be rosen,darnold, and allen.

personally i cringe at the thought of mayfield or allen being taken by us, especially with the 3rd pick

14. GasedAndConfused

but it doesn't change the fact 5 dollar is 5 dollars, regardless of how stupidly or good you use it. what happened here is mac had 5 dollars, but he was starving, and the colts had a 1 dollar cheeseburger and said you can have it but it'll cost you 5 dollars and if you don't buy it, you may not be able to find a cheesburger before you starve. so mac in desperation made the deal so he doesn't starve, but he beter hope he picked a dam good cheeseburger

I knew elam stuck aronud a little, but he was never good. coleman the same. I didn't even realize ratliff kept around though at all. still they had literally no value to the jets

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That's the BEST you can say about the McNown resign-- "done nothing to IMPAIR the future??????" Since Toilet Bowl loves vets, McNown WILL play every snap if healthy (he has already been promised the start). Bridgewater will get ALL backup reps. QB picked at #3 (Mayfield or Allen) will likely run scout team and probably be inactive every sunday. If you think the third pick in the draft should be inactive every sunday then McCagnnan has a job for you. I liked the Teddy signing, hated the McNown resign. I thought McNown was our one year bridge LAST year? Hello 5-11 AGAIN in 2018 with another possible bridge QB likely signed for 2019

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You’re right I did.

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Man... just got home and saw this headline. I guess we're all in our pick now.

I'm personally not happy with this as I valued all those 2nd round picks we now no longer have. But if we manage to end up with Darnold or whatever and he proves to be a home run I will fully agree its worth it.

But oh my god if whoever we take doesn't work out? Its going to be a long next three years or so. There is no security netting under the bridge we are working on now.... one slip and your drowning in the cold river down below.

I also agree with what a few people have brought up. I would assume this trade is proof that the Jets really don't want one of the 4 QBs. By this move I'm guessing there are 2 they really want, 1 they'd be OK with and 1 they felt they better avoid. My guess totally against most of this board is that the one guy they don't want is Mayfield but I guess we're going to find out in a few weeks.

18. NCJetsfan

He was also at Mayfield's Pro Day.

NYJetsO12 and Rockinz like this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And I suppose you probably think there will be an open QB competition in 2018 even thought McNown has already been promised the start, right?

20. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I find it interesting the fervor in which people exclaim it "must" or "has" to be X or Y.

The real truth is Mac has a storied history for going BPA. Period. And we all know who that is if available...