Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Last 2 times we picked at 3, we took a RB. Also, interesting.

K'OB likes this.
  2. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Rosen could start day 1. His only risk is injury. Nothing else. He’s an NFL ready QB.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I’ve spent like 10 minutes looking at Bills forums. They are all very mad haha.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes and for once this is a good move for us..people moaning that we did this too early, blah blah blah...you can bet the mortgage that if the jets hadn't done this now and indy was shopping the pick the bills or broncos would have made a deal. the only worry now is if the bills make a deal with the giants.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think we stay at 3. If the Giants were willing to deal, they would have done it. Now the bills could be offering a ransom that Mac couldn't or wouldn't Match.
    If the Browns go Barkley at 1 all bets are off. But I'd be beyond shocked if they did. That would allow Mac to actually trade the 3 for the Browns 4, get better picks than he gave up still get his guy and David "god damn". Putney.....

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i absolutely hate this move. not because we traded up, but because we did it way too early. we tipped out hat. i know buffalo was gearing to trade up to 3 or 4, now they can trade up to 2 and still pass us.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Somebody's setting themselves up for a huge disappointment.

So many great athletes over the years had that tag, in all sports, and proved it wrong.

A great player is great regardless of size.

K'OB likes this.
  8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Oh it might be witty, but they'll be singing a very different tune if Luck never comes back the same, which is eminently possible. The Colts have just said that he's their QB for sure when he hasn't even thrown a football in months. I'm surprised that they didn't wait until they had more information - I don't see the pick getting less valuable in the next six weeks.

GQMartin likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

I'd be in total agreement at 6, however giving up 3 , 2nd round picks for a player, that is not a QB who you could have drafted at 6 ,one of the 2 will be there, is guaranteed to get you fired.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

No offense, but I don't agree with people who say that McCown is a great investment. Who has he helped as a mentor to positive outcomes? Nobody that I can think of. He might be a great teammate, but results are what matters and none of McCowns "underlings" have really shined.

The Jets have Bridgewatee for one year so I don't know how he has potential future value unless they tag him somehow.

Personally, I would have signed only one veteran - not both. I would then have used some of that money as the difference maker on one of the better centers or signed Mathieu and dumped the human penalty flag.

11. TonyFtLaud

Plus 100
    The pick would have cost much more on draft day.

GQMartin likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

now we have to sit and hope that rosen and darnold don't go 1 and 2

13. GasedAndConfused

mccown will mentor whoever we draft. it's not his fault petty and hack suck

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That’s perfectly fine with me. That makes Mayfield a Jet. Unless Macc blows it.

NCJetsfan and GQMartin like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You guys better be quiet. You might get what you wish for and regret it. There's a greater chance of the Bills taking a QB and the QB we want than the Giants. The Giants might take Barkley. The Bills won't. I'd rather the Jets have their choice at #3. What if the Browns take Mayfield, the Bills trade up to #2 and take Rosen. We'd be stuck with Darnold when I'm pretty confident that Mac traded up to get one of Mayfield and Rosen.

16. GasedAndConfused

mayfield would go down as being a worse trade then sanchez. the only reason a jet fan should hope for mayfield is if they want mac fired and the jets to suck for the next 5 years. The good news is, reports state mac doens't feel mayfield is worth a top 3 pick and he is right. the mayfield love on here is insane. the guy isn't a good QB. shouldn't even go in the 1st round.

legler82 likes this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Only if he plays, which is why I really hope that the report that McCown was guaranteed the starting job is nonsense. Playing McCown accomplished nothing for the Jets in 2017, and it would accomplish even less in 2018 (unless he has to because Bridgewater is hurt or simply no longer NFL-capable). The right strategy is for the Jets to play Bridgewater and have their shiny new rookie QB mentored by McCown, who will be his QB coach in 2019 anyway. If Bridgewater ends up doing great that's not a bad problem to have.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

if barkely and chubb go 1 and 2, shit sure would be interesting. I'm esentally sitting here hoping cleveland does it's cleveland thing and passes on a QB 1st overall

19. TonyFtLaud

Would cost our 3rd and 4th this year and next year's third for starters.
    That's what it cost the bears to move up last year one spot with no other teams bidding. This year there will likely be a few teams bidding. Bills, Broncos, Cardinals...
    So 3 seconds , 2 thirds and a fourth plus. That's alot of capital.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Could the Jets miss out on the QB or one of the two QBs they want? Yes, but the chances are a lot less at #3 than they are at #6.

You could wind up being right, or you could wind up being wrong. I think the chances of Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold all becoming quality starters are very good. It's less likely imo, but even Allen or Jackson could become a decent or quality starter too.