Poll: Was the move to #3 the right thing to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Mar 17, 2018.

?

How do you feel about the move to trade up to #3?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2018.
  1. Gave up way too much! Stupid move...

24.2%
  2. Very excited! Let’s get that Franchise QB!

75.8%
  1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I’m aware it was 3 but I’m pointing out that the other 2 was from trading a player that no one thought had any value since it was known he’d be cut AND got a very productive #2 starting WR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

If we had a FQB already, Barkley would be nice, but we can't afford to trade up for a RB when we aren't ready to win.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Jimmy Johnson chart wildly overrates top picks. When you look at how well drafted players actually do in the NFL, you see that giving up multiple picks to trade up three spots rarely works out. This case is different though because a QB is involved.

4. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

TBD, if it's for Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield then yes. If it's for Allen or anyone else then no.

NYJetsO12, BudJet and Sam Hammer like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

This is of course assuming the player the Jets love is actually the right player. Which doesn't sound so good when you think about it.

6. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Yeah Penny remember the last time we traded up for the franchise QB.. Thats right Dirty Sanchez. I consider Barkley a sure thing the QBs who knows which one or two is gonna make it. Historically its a 60 % success rate with first round QBs .. Stats were posted maybe a month ago. Barkley would make Bridgewaters life much easier.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I do hear your argument, but like I said, Jets didn't make this move for a RB. It isn't even worth debating.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Not trading up is the decision you make if you are delighted to be the 6th seed in the playoffs every three years (and never be a legitimate Super Bowl contender). Trading up is the decision you make if you'd actually like to see the team win a Super Bowl in your lifetime.

Now that doesn't mean the person drafted will work out; he might suck (see Sanchez). But at least we tried.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m surprised it took 3 seconds, but two of the best teams in the NFC traded a lot to move up for a QB in the last three years and didn’t seem to be hindered by not having those picks.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

Because Goff and Wentz worked out. But before those two, the track record of teams trading up for QBs was awful.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

True, but you don’t draft a player unless you expect him to succeed. Players failing is simply an inherent factor in the draft that you try to minimize but you can’t eliminate it and certainly don’t avoid picking a player you believe has the ability to succeed simply because he may not.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

For this reason, I believe the rookie sits at first. The OL will have to get partially fixed with the rest of the draft, remember Mac loves mid round OL picks for value.

The rest of the line will have to get fixed next offseason.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think it is a lock to get Rosen or Mayfield because mac went to see them this week and he made the move to 3 without seeing darn old or allen. He must have liked what he saw:)
    This was a excellent move. It not only gets us a potential fqb but it keeps our pick from buffalo, miami, cardinals. I was for sure that buffalo with all their picks was going to jump to #3. EXCELLENT MOVE MAC.

14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Just because no one stands out doesn't mean they're not good. If buffalo made this move everyone would be calling mac out for not being aggressive.

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED WE JUST STUCK IT TO BUFFALO & BRONCOS....AND ANY OTHER QB NEEDY TEAM WILLING TO JUMP AHEAD OF US:)

#54 BudJet, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You don't trade up to #3 to get a QB with under 60% completion rate in college and questionable decision making. If they do draft Allen, that be very moronic.

#55 BomberJet, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It puts the pressure on Cleveland to take QB in pick 1 now for sure. Barkley may go to the Giants or he may fall in Clevelands lap at 4, that is what they have to hope for now

NYJetsO12 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't really see that - I think they always had to figure that Indianapolis was either going to pick a QB (if Luck was done) or they were going to trade out (if he wasn't). The Jets clearly think that they would be happy with any of three QBs (it doesn't matter who those three are), or they wouldn't have moved up to #3; if the Browns feel the same way they should definitely take Barkley at #1 and whoever is left (or their favorite of who is left if the Giants don't take a QB) at #4. Nothing has changed for them - if they have a clear preference at QB they were always going to pick QB at #1, and if they don't they shouldn't have before or now.

NYJetsO12 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think mac is sold on three of these qb and the move solidifies getting -1 of them. If he only liked 1 of them I don't think he would have made the move. That's why I feel he was impressed with Rosen & Mayfield at there pro day this past week.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I'm good with this. If Mac had waited until the draft the price would have been much, much, much, much higher. I'm glad he was able to make a deal now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I'm good with this. If Mac had waited until the draft the price would have been much, much, much, much higher. I'm glad he was able to make a deal now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.