Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In other news the Jets have traded their third round selection to a Nigerian prince for future considerations.

CBG likes this.
  2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I've only determined that Teddy was a better prospect coming out of college than any of these rookies, and has already proven himself in the NFL even if in the limited fashion that Zimms offense would allow.

Health being the only factor. Against a completely unknown commodity in a very pricey QB. That or a much more sure thing insane metric/prospect RB, or an edge guy this team hasn't had in 15 years.

Both of those prospects sound better to me at #3 over the 3 QBs already on the roster.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course 2nd round picks are valuable, but getting a FQB prospect is MORE valuable, as is keeping next year's #1 (although I'd rather have given than up and kept the higher of our two 2nd round picks this year hoping we could get an edge rusher or top OL prospect.

4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

actually '6.08" , :p

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is an interesting opinion.

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, picking the right QB is crucial. If they do, it will be worth it! Even if the Jets had struck gold on all 3 second round picks (which is extremely doubtful with the Jets or any team for that matter), having a FQB prospect is more valuable.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think it was 6’ 3/8”

8. NCJetsfan

No, but you have to trust your scouting process and take risks if you want to become a top tier team.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but when it is so far removed from every other opinion on the matter in the entire universe one can only assume you are simply being contrary or you don’t know what you are evaluating.

Attackett likes this.
  10. BomberJet

Not to disagree with you and If that is the case and Mac is thinking the same thing, he better hope Barkley is there a 3 - quite a gamble. It should be interesting if he's there at 3 and Rosen & Darnold are gone. Not crazy about Baker or Allen at 3 - Jets could have had either of them at 6, imo.

11. NCJetsfan

Even forgetting the Jets' draft history with 2nd round picks, do you really think that the Jets would have taken 3 high impact players with those picks? Even if the Jets had one of the best records with 2nd round picks, the odds would have been highly against the Jets striking gold with each of those picks. With the Jets' draft record with 2nd rounders, the odds are that one (or possibly two) would have been a complete bust, one would have been a so-so starter or project, and the other would have been pretty good.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Dream scenario for me would be Cleveland falling in love with Allen..Giants drafting Barkley and Darnold dropping to the Jets.

13. NCJetsfan

Your first sentence is true. Your second sentence totally ignores or negates the first. When you're desperate, you can't "wait and hope," you have to be decisive and go after a QB. Those building blocks wouldn't have meant shit if the right QB didn't fall to the Jets. That would have been an unnecessary and reckless gamble. I see no way that Rosen or Mayfield would have fallen to #6. The QB there would have been Allen.

14. BomberJet

I thought the combine stat was '6.08 - which makes it 6' 8/12"

Yankjetfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I have to believe that there are still FA OL that could help this team. Hopefully, Mac is waiting for their prices to come down.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dude we probably would still take Baker over Darnold. No more USC quarterbacks please

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

The Jets could still re-sign him. They'd have his backup sewn up for the next 4 seasons and have real security at QB. They could then possibly trade the QB they drafted in a year or two for a #1 pick. If the rookie had shown that he was the right move, they could also try to do a sign and trade with Teddy or let him walk and get a 3rd round compensatory pick.

ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Utter nonsense. I'm not denying that there was talent in round 2 that could have helped the team, but getting a FQB prospect is MORE important, and if he's the right QB would help the team more than those 3 players combined.

19. NCJetsfan

That was last century.

20. NCJetsfan

Total nonsense. I can't believe some of the ridiculous comments I'm seeing in this thread. We ALL know how much the Jets need a QB. Mac makes a great move to secure us one that they want/like, and you guys are whining and complaining. Unreal. The only way I'll be unhappy with this move is if Mac takes Allen, Nelson or Barkley. Even then, I'd wait and see if Allen developed. With Nelson or Barkley, however, I'd want Mac's head on a pike at Met Life Stadium.

#500 NCJetsfan, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    mrjet80, NYJetsO12 and Attackett like this.