Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

If the giants don't trade out for a boat load of picks then they will be taking a qb.

Anyone to move ahead of us has to give up a lot more now than what we did.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

xxedge72x likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Nothing worst case about this. It is a quality outcome that makes this team better for the short and long term.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Fro
    I haven't said that the trade is dumb. I just think the Jets gave up too much and this trade doesn't jive with other off-season moves. If you look at the chart (and I realize it's not law :)) the Eagles actually didn't pay all that much to move up in 2016. If you discount the future draft picks by a round for each year in the future (at least that is what I have heard is the equivalent) the Eagles gave up less in additional picks to make up for the 1200 point difference to move up from No. 8 to No. 2. Even if you discount the picks by only 1/2 round per year, per pick then the trade evens itself out. So the Eagles fared out very well - whether or not Wentz actually produced.

Also, the people who love this trade up haven't addressed the reason why the Jets would have to acquire two additional QB's as well as the trade-up. If we love a QB so much why did they have to sign up two veterans? Why was Josh signed for $10M dollars? Why not just sign Bridgewater to at least a one year deal with a one-year option? That way you are not wasting money on Josh and actually might get value if Bridgewater is completely healthy and proves his worth. The Jets moves this year at QB just seem contradictory to me. There was no reason to make all three of the moves.

tomdeb likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's my problem with a Chubb pick: the Jets could hit on the pick and all it would do for them is make them 8-8 instead of 5-11, dropping their 1st rounder next year into the mid-to-late teens where they can't expect to hit a franchise QB unless they get really lucky.

The Jets defense is the thing that keeps them from drafting in the top 3 naturally year after year. It's decent enough, given all the 1st round investment in it, that the Jets will rarely be out of a game unless they are facing a strong team.

The downside is the offense stinks and with a few exceptions has stunk since the Jets went to the all defense all the time 1st round mode. So the team oscillates back and forth from 4-12/5-11 to 8-8/9-7 and is never a bonafide contender.

Since a mediocre result this year will lead to a low probability of a franchise QB next year the Jets better use the #3 pick to either get their FQB or acquire enough ammunition to get their guy naturally next year, via acquiring another 1st+ next year that has the potential to be in FQB range in the 2019 draft.

The Jets need to find their guy at QB. It's been 30 years now since they had the last guy they could look at and project to be in the lineup year after year for them at QB.

5. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

They reportedly like darnold > Allen > Rosen > baker

6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The reason the Browns approach didn’t work is because they chose the wrong players

Trading up for a QB guarantees you nothing...you have to actually select and develop the right guy

If they chose Watson last year they’d be fine...if they didn’t choose Manziel they would have been better off etc

7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yep. We set the market.

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

There's nothing dopey about it. The pick is worth more on draft day. Purely an insurance policy move and I'm all about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I thought Mac was building through the draft? That's a lot of capital to give up for a GM who is trying to build through the draft, guess that philosophy went straight out of the window when he realized he has been poor at drafting.

He better hope his pick at QB turns out to be a FQB, because he just helped the colts build a better team for Andrew Luck, the colts have 3 picks in the second round, with a total of 9 for the draft.

We have Charlie casserly 2.0, Mac sucks as a GM!

#350 Red Menace, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    James Hasty and King Koopa like this.
  11. xxedge72x

In what sense could the Jets have waited to 6 to "easily" get Mayfield? This suggests to me you don't realize how good / talented he is.

Charlie Weis was on SiriusXM and said it best; people are looking at the 3 QBs this year in a vacuum, but the way to really look at them is how they would fare in other drafts. If you put them into a weaker draft, all three of the top QBs in this draft could be the 1st overall pick. It just so happens they are all in the same draft together.

If you can get a guy that is that talented at this position, you take him and don't look back.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. xxedge72x

I agree with the making poor choices part. But that plays into the bigger picture of their flawed philosophy in general. It isn't one pick, it is years of poor choices that led them to this.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If Bates was truly on his game we wouldn't be in this mess. He got nothing out of Hackenberg and Petty. Now he is magically going to transform and make this offense fly.

14. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I don't think the Giants or Browns want to move that far down in the draft.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

If they don't draft a QB - this board will erupt like never before - and with good reason.

16. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Bill Walsh couldn't get anything out of Petty and Hack. They just aren't NFL caliber quarterbacks.

NoodleArm and boozer32 like this.
  17. xxedge72x

Allen would be a total disaster on the Jets. His best bet is to get picked by a team where he can get the Hackenberg red shirt treatment. He's NOT a day 1 or even year 1 starter, on any team.

18. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Maybe I shouldn’t have said easily. But I just think there’s would’ve been a great chance either Rosen or Mayfield are there at 6. If we were at 6 I would’ve guessed the Browns take Saquon, Giants Darnold, Would the Colts go QB even with luck still there or would they go OL or even Chubb? Browns again at 4 maybe be a QB and then Denver just gave money to a QB. Why not go Chubb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He didn't make this trade to select a guard, Chubb, or even Barkley...this is for a franchise QB.....

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Bill Walsh would not have drafted them in the first place.

NoodleArm likes this.