Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

As a proponent of trading up to 3, I really can't complain here. Would've preferred to keep a 2nd rounder this year, but it won't matter much if we get the FQB we haven't had since forever. Need to take risks sometimes to improve the team. There's a non zero chance that the top QB prospects would all be taken by the 6th pick. Now, the Jets are guaranteed to get one of the top 3 and possible top 2 QB prospects. Let's see if Mac gets it right.

#321 CotcheryFan, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Darnold. We redsirt him and watch people lose their minds

J/K

CotcheryFan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  3. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

You forgot Arizona they are one of the teams trying to trade up.

HomeoftheJets and Jets_Grinch like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Darnold and Rosen go 1-2 I expect the Jets to get offers for the #3. There will still be a QB out there that some teams see as franchise value. Barkley will still be out there.

I expect the Jets will put feelers out there before the draft with some teams, like the Cardinals, about what a trade up to #3 would look like for them if the right guy was out there. That's just due diligence. They probably also try to identify people who are looking hard at Barkley and the best defensive players available on the chance that one of those teams fall in love with their guy and makes a big trade up to get him.

I think odds are pretty good that the Jets have a couple of guys in mind on that #3, one of whom may not even be the guys I mentioned, and that they're prepared to maximize the value of the pick if both guys are gone - either by taking their 3rd QB or by trading out of the slot to recoup the value of the initial trade up.

5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If we get Rosen,Darnold, or Mayfield perhaps trade Teddy after some team loses their starter during the season.

forevercursed likes this.
  6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Hey that's cool. Can you present evidence supporting your opinion?

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. xxedge72x

I don't think the Jets should "redshirt" the 3rd pick the way they did with Hackenberg, because the Jets shouldn't be using the 3rd pick on a QB who needs that much development. If you pick a player that high, they need to be a starter sooner than later.

That said, I do like the approach of not anointing him the starter the second the pick is turned in. Force them in camp and the preseason to outplay their competitors and earn the respect of their teammates rather than treating them like the anointed one. If for some reason, they are unable to do so, you've protected them in the sense that you can wait a few weeks into the season before transitioning them. Much less peril going this route, and can potentially be beneficial to their development to be in competition the minute they get in the building.

8. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is all about positioning for what we want.

I'm more comfortable if the front office are acting with conviction.

It's not about who we want, as whoever we take now especially that we have a choice of who we take will split this board for at least a year.

But if the FO want a guy or are happy with one of 2. I'm much happier that they go get it rather than sit and hope they fall because a 30 year old trade chart said it was too much.

We had 100 million in cap space. Spend it and build something special (or try too)

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't like the movie Draft Day and we trade away 3 second round picks for a running back - nothing would surprise me with this team

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If the Colts were fielding lots of calls for their spot and we assume the Giants are taking a QB (otherwise they would have traded with us) and the Bills and others are trying to get ahead of us and the Broncos I guess it is a move they had to make because there is a good chance 4 QBs could have gone before we picked.

Just makes those pointless wins from last year even more painful to see what it has cost us

11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Getting the pick just to try to flip it again later for a profit is a dopey real estate type move.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. xxedge72x

Disagree. This was necessary. I wanted the team to go to 1, but if 1 and 2 weren't available, then this is the next best thing.

Let's see if anyone is able to move up to 2. The Bills are the concern here, but the Giants would be crazy not to think about just taking one of the QBs themselves while the opportunity is here.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Only way they fuck this up is if they take Allen.

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Actually given the Bills move (trade with the Bengals) I think it could well be that the Giants are waiting to strike a deal with them and the Bills are going to move up to #2 and were in talks with the Colts which is what led the Jets to panic and trade with the Colts.

15. xxedge72x

I understand why people would think this and support this approach. My personal opinion is look at what the Browns have been doing for years. There is a reason that despite the draft capital they've accumulated over the past several years, they still ended up with an 0-16 season.

QB is a force multiplier. The offensive line is a force multiplier too, but that requires 5 people rather than 1. That is where, a GOOD QB, is worth significantly more to a team than several good players. The only downside here is if the Jets pick the wrong QB. If they do that, then this franchise is back in the toilet for the next several years and we begin looking forward to the next group of scrubs the Jets hire to run this team.

16. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I think its a good move, they made the move before the Bills. Now the Bills will give up more to trade with the Giants

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I suppose the worst-case is Darnold-Rosen at 1-2 leaving us Mayfield at 3? They have to like Mayfield enough to risk that.

18. xxedge72x

If Darnold Rosen go 1-2 then we take Mayfield at 3 and don't look back.

19. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

The Jets social media has been in love with Baker all offseason. This doesn’t make sense to me. At 6 we could have easily gotten Baker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Agree here.

xxedge72x likes this.