Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I guess people wanted to go with Bridgewater for 5 years, draft defense, and use our 2nd rounders on a handful of busts and maybe draft a franchise QB in 5 years.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The smart play is irrelevant to Mac. He wants the play that lets him keep his job. If he doesn't strike gold this offseason he's gone, so he doesn't care if a failed trade hamstrings the team a couple years down the road.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I like the trade, but a downside to it is we are out of the market for a top Center in round 2. No chance at Price or Daniels now and probably won't have a chance for Ragnow.

James Hasty likes this.
  4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Pleasure doing business with them too...fitting that it could be the same franchise that the Jets beat in Super Bowl 3, that helps the Jets get back to the top with a franchise quarterback with pick No. 3.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

well said...

James Hasty likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I commented on this in another thread.

The only way Mac goes to 3 is if he’s okay with Mayfield or Rosen. This is key because if the Jets only had 1 target you’d have to wait for the board to fall in line.

For me. It’s always been about Rosen and Mayfield. 1A and 1B.

I also believe both are NFL ready but will not start this season.

7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It's not wrong but I don't see why the other approach is so wrong either. Quantity doesn't always equal quality especially when it comes to the QB position. You may believe in the Wyoming kid and Lamar Jackson but I don't and I don't think the Jets do either. Not that I'm completely sold on any of the other three either but I'd put them higher than Allen or Jackson tbh. If Bridgewater was signed on a 2-3 year deal I'd be all for giving him a shot (even though I'm not a big fan of his either) and punting on QB in the draft, but on a one-year deal as a backup he doesn't really count as a long-term option.

Plus the Jets even with their own first rounder next year are probably not going to be drafting at 6. The options without selecting a QB in this draft are hoping for some mid-round gem to pan out (and that's what got us Hack/Petty in the first place), hoping we can overpay the next Cousins in FA or hoping a Garropolo falls into our lap in trade.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I hear you on this. I'd be a little bit worried about both QB's being gone also. I think the deal is a gamble for the Jets but it is a much cheaper gamble than I had feared.

Right now the Jets are paying about a 25% premium on the deal according to the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart. They're giving up a good bit more than that on the alternative chart, which I think might be a bit more accurate.

To put that in perspective, the Rams gave up 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds for a 1st, 4th and 6th in the Jared Goff trade. They traded the top 3 rounds in two consecutive drafts. That's a lot of early draft capital to give up. They gave up their 1st plus 2 2nds and a 3rd in the current draft and a 1st and a 3rd in the following year.

The Eagles gave up 2 1sts, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for a 1st and a 4th in the Carson Wentz deal.

Both teams had to give up the following year's 1st round pick to move up and get their guy. The Jets had to give up 3 2nds to move up but the bleeding is done after that. They still have their top pick next year and they still have 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th this year. They still have all but the 2nd round pick next year. That's cheap in terms of the market for FQB prospects based on recent results.

They do still have to get the FQB though.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for the Giants. They will now be under pressure from several teams to trade the pick. They also will take their guy, likely the BPA at #2, knowing that the Jets pick next. It's more of an issue for them now than it was when the picks were separated by 3 picks. Now they will be passing on whomever the Jets take. This is a tabloid heaven moment and will be for years afterwards.

Just editing to say: you're right about the quality depth issue. The Jets really need more talent across the board and this trade just dramatically increased the pressure on them to nail the draft. They already faced a ton of pressure to nail the 1st and 2nd rounders but this trade means they *have* to hit on the #3 and they need to get good value on the other picks.

If this trade doesn't work out we're probably looking at a new regime next year and nobody has any idea where that winds up. At least the new folk will have most of their picks moving forward instead of bleeding picks for several seasons.

9. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh will you please buy a freakin clue. This was the move, they finally did it !!!

10. namloc

namloc New Member

I just don't understand this fanbase. We've been crying out for a QB, our QB, since Joe Namath. The front office constantly gets criticised for being too passive, then finally makes a move to get the guy, and then just more moaning and complaining. Sad!

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Get Macc's meat out of your mouth. People are allowed to disagree and have a difference of opinion. Grow up

King Koopa and James Hasty like this.
  12. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Glad youre not the GM. None of the 4 QB’s were guaranteed to be there at 6. The Bills, or Denver, or any number of other teams looking for a QB would have leapfrogged us and at 6 we’d be left with our dick in our hand.

To move up to 3 and not give up next years #1 is huge. Good job by Mac.

13. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Mac finally shows massive balls moving up to the Colts number 3 overall pick and didn't give up a future first rd pick. Repeat that. Didn't give up a future first rd pick. Yet we still got mother fuckers complaining about 2nd rd picks...DILLY DILLY!

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I would have taken a QB at 6 if I liked any that fell, traded down, or taken one in the 2nd or 3rd...and still had 2 more second rounders and another next year

I mean at this point it's all on whether or not we draft a star....anything less and this move was terrible

I'd just rather not throw all my eggs in the basket of some young QB who we have no clue how they will react as a pro

Rather build a strong foundation which we can control

15. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Everybody knows making trades on draft day is very steep great move by Mac.

NCJetsfan, westiedog1, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is going to be a GREAT Trade!!! Keep your chin up guys

VERY PROACTIVE Move ..and as half a dozen other posters have pointed out TOO MANY VARIABLES with what other teams can do ahead or behind us

I think Champ69 could be happy with this move ahahahahah

Personally after 50 years of being a part of this crazy Fanbase we could actually draft 2 QBs with the MOXIE and SWAG of a Joe Namath: both Rosen and Mayfield have attitude...that's a GOOD SIGN

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words can never hurt me. Nah nah nah I can't hear you!!

boozer32 and playtowinthegame like this.
  18. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Shit that bugs me is, before today, there wasn't many people that were completely sold on 3 of these QBs. But because the trade up was made, now nobody has the right to be skeptical? Like Macc's evaluation of QB's has been A OK to where he's going to be right on multiple choices. Im not saying we're going to get the wrong guy, but FOH with this "if you don't think this was smart you're dumb" shit. It's a risky move. It's COMPLETELY justified to have criticism and skeptics. Grow the fuck up ppl

boozer32, Br4d and King Koopa like this.
  19. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

You’re damn right remember last season when some of the guys here were excited about beating the Jaguars ??? Not looking so good now.... that along with beating the browns and dolphins cost us draft position ...... also ask the eagles if they regrets moving up to get Carson W???? All said it’s a good move !! Don’t wait for the bills to make the first move

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Was more of a sarcastic comment than an actual analysis of the trade .

Mac gave up too much to not even guarantee getting his guy .

Franchize likes this.