Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Colts are thrilled.

rohirrim665 and James Hasty like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You don’t trade all of those picks for a RB.

Vida, Br4d, xxedge72x and 1 other person like this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

They should be; it’s a great trade for them as much as it is for the Jets.

Vida, Br4d, Walt White and 2 others like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yep, I posted that a week ago. Toilet Bowl will play McNown all 2018 if healthy (he already promised McNown the start) and Bridgewater will get ALL backup reps. Jets QB that they draft at #3 this year will run the scout team, and probably be inactive on game day. That is why it was so stupid to sign McNown AND Teddy.

2018 will be just like 2017 with McNown taking us to 5-11 or 6-10. The QB we reached for in 2018 will have gained NO experience in 2018 except running the scout team. Dumb dips. And now we have no 2nd round pick in 2019. This team with their GM and coach keep making sure the jets continue their stay in the basement of the AFC East.

JetBlue likes this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Well for one the Patriots generally agree with me in their draft moves.....they do it to a fault IMO but in general I would rather have more chances instead of throwing it all in on a young 20 something kid who we have no idea how they will react when handed over millions

In this specific draft there are more than just 3 very good QB prospects, and that's the general consensus

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I have a wedding on the 27th. Good thing I won't be distracted that night for updates lmao.

7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Nelson would be the move, he's the best player in the draft. But we need a qb. Love the trade up.

James Hasty likes this.
  8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

This is definitely a risky move by Mac because of the timing. Maybe he couldn't have waited till Draft Day (and that makes sense), but the element of certainty is priceless.

Say that the Jets love Darnold, and like Rosen and Barkley. They also like Mayfield and Chubb. At 6, it's conceivable that none would have been available. At 3, at least three will be available. If it goes that Darnold is available at 3, then holy fucking shit, Mac would have won the Draft.

Still, this is a go-for-it-on-fourth-down, Riverboat Ron play by Mac. He must get a sense that ownership and the fan base have had it. Maybe it'll translate to big changes in the offensive play calling.

The off-chance Bridgewater breakthrough scenario remains interesting. Assuming the pick isn't Barkley (certainly not as bad as going with Nelson, Fitzpatrick, or Chubb), the Rook changes the situation.

Playing like McCown last year (or even Fitz two years ago) won't be enough for him to get a second contract with the Jets. Moral victories won't be enough. In order for this to be an issue for the Jets (and for him to have leverage in any salary negotiation), Bridgewater has to beat out the Rook and take the offense deep into the playoffs. There's a lot of if's and but's to work out before then. But, as fans, this is going to be fun to watch.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

you really think all 4 QB's would be gone in 5 picks?
    i just didn't see that happening, although Barkley as a consolation prize would've been just fine with me.

At this point I can only hope it's not for Rosen.
    I'd feel better if Mayfield or Allen ends up the pick. It's a lot of capital to give up not knowing who the selection will be.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous ..he played 75 per cent of the Season and helped get them to 13-3

Vida, macbk, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

People are actually complaining about this trade? I really hate this fan base.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The trade up means the Jets have identified at least two QB's that they believe are worth the deal. It means they have eliminated at least one QB from the group of four that people like at the top of the draft.

This is a very positive sign. The Jets are going to make a commitment to a guy they strongly believe in. They just have to follow through and make sure that enough pieces are in place that he is well supported when he steps on the field at the beginning of the 2019 season. If he beats out the competition in camp this year they really need to make sure that he doesn't get the Geno treatment and get the snot beaten out of him in the first half dozen games.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I posted the same argument on another thread. Nevertheless, I'm okay with this move. For one, the Jets and Giants don't make trades for whatever reason, so moving to #2 was out of the question. I imagine the asking price to move up to #1 was probably outrageously expensive considering the Jets are now guaranteed a pick of either Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield. Thirdly, they will probably have a choice of 2 of those top 3 because either the Browns or the Giants will very likely take Barkley. Finally, it would probably cost more for the Jets to move up on draft day because of the time critical factor giving the other party additional leverage.

14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He obviously loves 3 qb. Trading up for Barkley would be the worst move ever.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It's sad really and I'm a well known Darksider. I guess the fanbase has been downtrodden too long.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes. I think the Browns, Giants, Broncos, and Bills would have each taken a QB ahead of us. Speaking of the Broncos and Bills, they can't be happy now. If the Bills trade up to 4, the Broncos might get shut out. Though Barkley would be a great consolation prize. Meanwhile the Bills' only options are the Giants and Browns, and neither team may be willing to trade (the Browns may want Barkley and a QB).

BacktoQueens and boozer32 like this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Aw somebody's taint is all bunch up again. Listen doucebag tell us what's gonna happened. We knew what Sheldon could do or not do. What's the pick @3. So now all of sudden you are saying Macc and Bowles have vision? They just gambled just like every clown that goes to Vegas or you using a glory hole. Positive will be when they win more than 5 games. How bout we start there. Oh and whoever this QB that will be drafted won't even start. So another year wasted till we see our future. Got it cupcake?

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Wish we had a bunch of "Mangini Men" to trade up again.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was the best kind of dumb though: proactively early to avoid getting into the feeding frenzy that would have happened if Barkley or Nelson or Chubb went in the top two.

The 3 pick might have brought a couple of future 1sts alongside a 1st and a 2nd this year in that frenzy. Hell, if Darnold and Rosen go 1-2 it still might. :)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

My guess is that Bates was with Macc at all these pro days and has had significant input.

westiedog1 and Will-I-Am-Not like this.