Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If we draft a qb and an Olineman or two it won't be that, right? :)

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s All About the Benjamin
    The Steelers also spend big on offense, with a league-high $92.1 million currently dedicated to helping Ben Roethlisberger (and his $24 million cap hit) score a lot of points. Antonio Brown ($12.4 million) is one of the most impossible players to defend in the sport, and his cap hit reflects the value in that. The offensive line (headlined by Maurkice Pouncey’s $10.6 million cap hit, guard David DeCastro’s $8.1 million, and tackle Marcus Gilbert’s $6.5 million) is the fifth-most expensive leaguewide, which demonstrates Pittsburgh’s desire to keep Roethlisberger upright long enough to chuck it deep to Brown.

The Steelers are consistently explosive on offense as a result of their targeted spending. No team had more pass plays of 40-plus yards in 2015 than the Steelers.

It's amazing how few teams take a blueprint from one of the most stable franchises in the NFL, the above information shows how they stay consistent, they spend huge money on offense and offensive playmakers.

I hope this draft is all about the offense, it's the only way the jets will ever get to the next level.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Walt,,it will be that he aint drafting O lineman,,,,we could use 2 more lineman easily and unless this year turns into the back to back lineman alla the safeties it aint happening,,,,

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Did you NOT mention Leveon Bell in that?

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I hope they also gave him a fucking rule book and marked the chapter about late hits on the QB o_O

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Market inefficiency exploited. The Steelers better hope their secrets aren't revealed in a book like the A's Moneyball strategy was. :D

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Walt White

He drafted two lineman, Shell a starter; and Harrison, who is on the roster, we'll find out about him this year. He also, brought in Carpenter if I remember correctly. And he signed the guy from Washington yesterday.
    He's addressed all parts of the roster pretty much, but obviously it has a long way to go. That I'm not arguing.

With the signings so far if he drafted a QB and another Olineman or two things would look a little more promising. We'll see.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's a given that Laveon Bell is successful behind a line that has 3 all pro offensive linemen. Every time Matt forte slowed down to look for a hole he was dropped 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Every time Laveon bell slows down to choose a hole to run through, his oline has the defense 3 yards off the line of scrimmage.

It's no surprise the team that are consistently in playoffs have a good oline.

The jets with MS at the helm were one game away from the SB because they had a dominant oline.

It's not a secret, jets have to select or sign good olinemen if they want to stop being average or below average.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If he keeps Macc & Bowles from drafting another DB with the first pick he'll be well worth it.:p

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He didn’t really address all parts of the roster. Between Williamson and Johnson they command around $23ish million per year on the defensive side of the ball.

He then threw a bandaid at runningback and signed a backup offensive lineman. I don’t consider Bridgewater a big move because it was cheap and obviously the last quarterback of the serviceable ones that anyone wanted. Not to mention we still need to draft a quarterback.

We need to go QB, Frank Ragnow type of offensive lineman and another offensive lineman with the first three picks. And then you still have a patchwork offensive line with two young players you hope can handle the big boys the Pats and Bills throw at teams.

11. Walt White

I meant generally over his tenure, and that he doesn't address specific units is a little untrue. That was the point. Not saying he did it well. Blanket statements like that are mostly untrue and reactionary, at least.

If he can get his hands on Baker or Rosen and draft a couple of Olineman fans will feel better and have more hope. I will be excited. At that point the team will have a much better look after what's done so far.

I really don't spend too much time rehashing the past stuff or wallowing in it. I don't need to have evaluations of players and moves explained to me. I see them for myself. I know what's good and bad.
    I know what Tedy is. The only thing I can do is wait to see what happens and root for him to succeed. Even if they draft the # 1 QB on every board out there.

I'm really tired of feeling shitty over it and have little pity for people that do. I have watched this shit for 35 years, very very closely.

Attackett likes this.
  12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

give any team a HOF QB and they will look great - show me a team that consistently succeeds without that and then there is maybe something you can learn

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

was hoping for a reunion with Sheldon - surprised the best he could get was a 1yr deal :(

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The NFL is seeing an all time low on quality OLineman. That is leaguewide and not only a Jets thing, even though you mopes want to believe it is. It is the reason a very average C becomes the highest paid C in the league and an oft injured one gets a crazy contract as well. Teams throughout the league are desperate for even average offensive lineman.

FJF and Walt White like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think this is going to lead to rule changes to help OL or hold back the "D".

Attackett likes this.
  16. Attackett

Only when Tom Brady starts to get hit too much.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Sign Curry and Mathieu. Go all in on offense in the Draft.

18. Attackett

Jets are really blowing a golden opportunity if the don’t sign Matthieu. It’s not every day that a stud player in his prime becomes available and having Todd Bowles as your HC just may be an advantage. In fact this might be the only time ever that having Todd Bowles as your HC is an advantage.

K'OB and Nesquik like this.
  19. Attackett

And with that said, Homey Badger signs with Texans on a 1 year deal, ridiculous.

20. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Im pissed i gotta agree this was the one thing that really had us at an advantage, Bowles being pretty close to him coaching him and his ties to his stepdaughter. Mathieu should have been our borderline ridiculous that this didnt happen. The only thing they had over us was the QB position. Damnit man Skrine should have been cut we have too much money not to just go for it at this point