What QB do we draft now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Who do we draft at QB?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2018.
  1. Allen

10.6%
  2. Mayfield

33.3%
  3. Darnold

13.6%
  4. Rosen

28.8%
  5. Jackson

3.0%
  6. Rudolph (after round 1)

3.0%
  7. Falk (after round 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (after round 1)

6.1%
  9. No one

1.5%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Giants take a QB or if the Cardinals somehow trade up for one, it throws this out the window no?

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If things shake out where we have to take Jackson I'll be excited for this kid. I like him. There's something about him that I like. He projects a similar thing that Mayfield does with me, an inner strength, but also that he's a likable guy...to me.
    The league is changing and we don't have to pigeon hole him into a prototypical pocket passer. Teams are coaching to QB's strength more. If we take take him I hope we do that with him. It could be a good ride. The board will prolly meltdown but I would be excited. Maybe 00012000 will implode too. Can you imagine the pseudo psycho babble nonsense? Hahahahahah

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get it, and for now, yeah agree to disagree. But let me say that while I don't see it your way, I actually hope you're right. We sure do need SOME kind of spark! And it's not really for me to dampen your enthusiasm...if you're right, we all win; if you're wrong its not costing me anything, so why not look on the bright side? Me? After 55 years of disappointment maybe I'm just terminally pessimistic. Anyway, we all hope for them to finally get it.

4. 101GangGreen101

He's a fighter, and plays every down like it's his last. He might not show it like Mayfield, but he has a silent confidence about himself that I like. You are right, this league has changed and you can't have this pigeon-hold mindset. O'Brien learned from it, maybe Mac will too.

This board would go insane. Right now, I don't think it will happen, but I think he's QB4 on the Jets draft board. I prefer him over Mayfield to be honest, but the Jets definitely would select Mayfield over Jackson.

Walt White likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

It's that "pigeonhole mindset" that is the big issue, not Lamar himself. I hope that SOMEONE can figure out a way to utilize his gifts because he certainly has them, and if the Jets take him I hope they don't just try to fit him into their "round hole".

6. 101GangGreen101

when you say someone do you mean the Bills, Dolphins or Patriots?

7. ColoradoContrails

This could also go in the Josh Rosen thread, but since Rosen is the guy I hope the Jets pick, here's a very good analysis of why:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rosen-jets-giants-fit-drafts-most-proready-qb

There is no doubt from anyone that based upon pure ability, both physical and mental, that Rosen is the best QB in the draft. The ONLY knocks on him are based upon claims that he's difficult to coach and doesn't get along with teammates, but these have never been substantiated. But even if these have some truth to them, let me ask: would these traits be harder to change than bad footwork or accuracy? Or does anyone think that someone who is 21 isn't going to mature and learn how to get along with people and his bosses? If you listened to his Combine interview he made it clear that he would do whatever it takes to support his team, and even sit on the bench and learn if he has to. Does that sound like a prima donna?

Part of me actually wants the negative reports to continue, and for the teams drafting ahead of us to believe them. Rosen will transform this team, or even better, return it to its roots of the days of Namath.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well WE could all call for his head but the Johnson bros might think MM gets an "e" for "effort".,..the Owners are so dumb they must have said when McGown was signed "oh look bro ..there's a familiar face"

Fans suffer the consequences

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yeah, they’re so dumb they probably spelled Josh’s last name wrong on the contract.

10. ColoradoContrails

All three have shown an ability to take risks, so they could be the right fit, but if they are, I hope you're wrong about him.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To answer your question in bold, yes, definitely yes, it can be. With very smart, wealthy people, arrogance is often a problem that doesn't go away, and it isn't a matter just of immaturity. He could have just been saying what he was advised to say or what he knew people would want to hear. I do think he will make an effort to fit in and have a better attitude, and I'm not worried about that as much with him as I am his thin frame and concussions. If we draft him, I sure hope you're right, that he can change his attitude (if it does indeed need changing), and that he can stay healthy. I don't think he will stay healthy, however. He is pretty immobile in the pocket, holds the ball too long, and I think someone like Suh could crush him and put him on the IR pretty easily. I think whoever drafts him will start him fairly early, he will play well, but fear he will stay banged up either hampering his play, will be on the sidelines as much as he's on the field or will suffer a concussion or two and will retire within 3-5 years in the NFL if not sooner.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. Walt White

Not really. The concerns about him being able to sustain hits are legit. Also his ability to avoid them and move around in the pocket. He's almost frail.
    He's not perfect by any means.

They're all gonna say the right thing. It goes beyond a single statement at the combine, and deeper than that. I was looking all day for more closeup at his pro day but never saw anything with the Saints Owner stuff on all day. Hopefully an interview pops up soon. It's up to the teams to do their interviews when he visits them to try and gauge what he really is when they spend a day or two with him. The evaluations have a way to go.

13. ColoradoContrails

According to the linked article one of Rosen's strengths is his ability to move around the pocket and avoid hits. Yes, he did get hit, and the two concussions prove that, but he played behind a pretty poor OL. His durability is a concern, but what he can do to transform this team is worth that risk IMO.

And of course it goes deeper than some short interviews where he knows he's being scrutinized, but the things that are being attributed to him were also just anecdotal. I agree, the teams that are interested - hopefully the Jets - will need to do their homework on him, and yes, there's a ways to go before D-Day.

14. Walt White

I'm just sayin. They all have pro's and cons. The physical part of it with him is a legit concern tho.The moving around part has to do with it translating to the NFL. If he falls and we take him I'm on board. It's not automatic tho

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Am I the only one that thinks Sam Darnold looks like an angry garden Gnome?

NoodleArm and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He's a bit of a statue in the pocket, takes a lot of hits, and has concussion and shoulder injury history.
    Those are definitely cons, especially when he doesn't need the money. Could equal a short career.

The attitude has me even more concerned though.
    Coachability and likeability are not questions I want on a QB I'm drafting in the top 6.
    Jay Cutler is a prime example of that. Tremendous arm and athleticism, but just never fit on any team he was on.
    If the Jets are considering him, they better really research thoroughly and find out for themselves.

Personally I'd much rather any of the other 3.
    He may work out well, but I don't like the risks.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

6 weeks out, my prediction is the Mac is in love with Josh Rosen and will do everything he can to trade up to pick him.

He’s been all over his games all year and brought Bates to his pro day. Rosen fits everything we know about Mac’s preferred QBs.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If the Jets trade their #6 overall pick, 1 of their 2nd Round picks, and a 4th round pick, how far would that move them up?

I would be cool with that, as you would get your QB in the 1st Round, 2nd Round Pick, 3rd Round pick, 5th, 6th and 7th.

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I believe that would get them to the #3.

20. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Outside chance at 3, more likely 4. The value chart is outdated, & values are completely skewed when it involves QBs at the top.

I'd offer a king's ransom to get to #1 or #2. 1sts this year & next year plus #49. That still may not be enough.

The Dark Knight likes this.