I'm Happy With Day 1 of FA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 14, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with whether they can afford it. Being impressed by one good season in a bad career by a QB on the downslope if his career, and defending overpaying the player because of what was clearly a fluke season, is typical SOJF that can’t identify good play and how to value it.

Brook! likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not really any splash and still haven't address the offensive line and pass rush. Those CB and Safeties better be good because they will have no help from a pass rush. Getting another good CB will be the goal because team will just target Skrine all day long. Williamson is a replacement for Davis. If they were so happy with davis they should have kept him and paired him with Williamson. That way they could bench Lee or play him on 3rd downs. They could have been pretty stout at inside linebacker.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  3. JetBlue

Because he has a history of any of that translating to wins and success for the team’s he has been on. When you can’t point to tangible metrics of success just deflect to intangible concepts.

Brook! likes this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

so net net everything they have done through 2 days of free agency is wrong, and the sky is falling. did i miss anything?

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The Browns, Jaguars, Titans, and 49ers all look like playoff contenders this year. Our Jets, not so much.

Getting a couple more of the top free agents followed by a strong draft could have made a big difference.

Getting in on some of those trades (Peters, Talib, etc.) could have made a difference.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Nope. It comes from close observation of him and knowing that that is an important part of any team as far as a coach or manager is concerned, and any teams success
    I'm not arguing over the money tho. I really don't care about that. But I don't see it as being a critical issue at all considering the heap of garbage they have at the position other than him.
    If they draft a QB I'll be glad we have him tho.... More than any coach we have even.

If it's all an exercise in futility I don't care anymore. I just try to see a way that has a remote chance of working by some miracle. Yes I actually root for these guys. :)

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Honestly not impressed with the free agent group:

1) McCown: Understand it, expensive for what he is. That said, 1 year deal is ideal for him, no commitment.

2) Bridgewater: Actually warming up to this move but with a caveat: I understand why he also got a 1 year deal, because there's a chance he just isn't healthy enough to stick around... That said if he becomes the diamond in the rough the Jets are trying to extract, the 1 year may work against us.

3) T. Johnson: Too expensive for what he is. This guy isn't a true #1 CB and if he's replacing Claiborne we'll likely be let down by him. I hope Claiborne comes back.

4) A. Williamson: Younger than Davis. Good upside. Probably not a huge upgrade, but it makes sense. Ok with this move.

5) S. Long: He's an upgrade, in the same way the Browns have likely upgraded from being a 1 win team. Doesn't change the fact that our o line still sucks as a whole. Meh signing.

6) I. Crowell: I have a personal bias against him due to his Twitter post. I'll leave it there.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. JetBlue

And yet any leadership quality of a coach only has value if it translates to wins. So, again, when has McCown every impacted any team he has ever been on in a meaningful way, in regards to team success, that reflects his leadership has value?

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

guys...we are in year 2 of a rebuild. It's funny because fans have clammored for a true rebuild and now we are having one and fans are upset we aren't spending away putting ourselves in cap hell down the road, which is what has been the Jets cycle every 4 years for the last 18 years. and it's gotten us nowhere.

They are looking to build through the draft and spend wisely in free agency. it's a much better approach for sustainable success. When we are in a position to make a big push make no mistake the checkbook will be open at will. Doing that this year would have made NO sense.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. Walt White

Of course. But that doesn't change the fact that it's part of every teams make up win or lose. We had Ronnie Lott and it didn't matter.
    We'd be better off with him showing the way to our draft pick than any other QB that signed, prolly more than Bates too. Every team has that set up. The ones that win and the ones that lose. There's been some great players and coaches in that role that couldn't help the team win if the roster wasn't what was needed for the team to ultimately succeed.
    It's obvious that McCown would be an asset for any QB we hopefully draft.

11. JetBlue

Based on what is he obviously an asset, though? Obviously being a great player isn’t required to be a great coach, but he is still serving a player role at this stage.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well I can’t really answer that, I wouldn’t imagine he had much if any leverage. I definitely think 10mil is too much for McCown but I do understand wanting to have him around as insurance against Bridgewater not being ready and either not getting the Qb they want or the rookie not being ready.

So while I do think 10mil is way too much for McCown I can’t say I really care either as it’s only for one year and I seriously doubt they spend the entire cap space this year anyway.

13. Walt White

I guess. If Bridgewater's leg caves in for sure. But it's why they took a flyer on Tedy imo. I find it hard to believe that Petty/Hack are even a consideration at this point. Hopefully Tedy can play.
    But more importantly they draft a top 4 guy, at least Jackson or Rudolph.

If they signed Cousins this would be moot. If they signed Keenum or Bradford this board would be melting down and peeps would still be wailing and flailing. If they don't draft a QB same, including me.

Attackett likes this.
  14. JetBlue

If Bridgewater goes down, who cares? McCown’s best season in his career was good enough for 5 wins. I don’t think $10 mil for that type of insurance is reasonable.

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i didnt want to bring mccown back but some of yall are overreacting

next to mccarron (who has started four games in his career), mccown is the lowest paid veteran projected starter in the league. the next guy up makes 33% more than mccown ... there is a baseline compensation for competent qb play and it looks like mccowns salary is far below that level

what more do yall want?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is true. Even the best DBs can only stay with their receivers for 3-4 seconds on average. For lesser DBs, it isn't even that long. We have to find a quality edge rusher or two.

ColoradoContrails and Jets69 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There doesn't have to be "splash" in FA in order to have a good and productive result from FA. In an ideal world, there would never be any "splash" in FA, but of course we know the Jets' world is anything but "ideal." Also, Mac isn't Tanny. Tanny always went in for the big "splashy" move so he could see his name on the back page of the NY tabloids. Thank God that isn't Mac. So to expect "splash" is only setting one's self up for disappointment and frustration.

Have we addressed the OL in the manner I had hoped? No, but to say that we haven't addressed the OL is not accurate. We signed Spencer Long. Hopefully, he will wind up only being a depth signing, but even if not, he's better than Johnson and Harrison. While that may not be saying much, it's something. I haven't heard anything about Jensen, and hopefully, he still may be an option. I also haven't heard anything about several OGs and RTs that I have some hopes of the Jets' signing. They are more 2nd tier types who would be better depth, but a couple of them are starters and probably better than Carpenter and Shell.

As far as the pass rush, there weren't any great options to begin with. Mingo is bad. Pernell McPhee is decent, but he's older and has difficulty staying healthy and on the field. 39 year-old James Harrison? 38 year-old Dwight Freeney? Tamba Hali is 34 as is Elvis Dumerville. Who do you want, Sam Acho? Jeremiah Attaochu? Neither have over 6 sacks in their careers. Mac can't sign what isn't there. There is no point in wasting cash or a roster spot on a player who isn't any better or have more upside than those already on our roster. We just have to hope that the Jets will draft an edge rusher high and that he will add some pop to our pass rush.

18. Walt White

Okay. If Tedy plays well that's good tho. Who cares about 10 mil then if you scored on a good QB. It's then a luxury to have McCown coach Mayfield for the future of the team. Does that mean anything in the big picture moving forward? At that point McCown would be history. Right now we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. 10 mil means nothing if they get lucky with Tedy and try to score on a QB in the draft. It's not about this year any way you cut it. Tho even I, somebody that doesn't pay much attention to the financial side of this league, acknowledge it's high.
    Of course we could have just gone with Petty or Hack and not bothered with anybody. That would be fun too.

19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

And don't forget it is only 1 year contract. That's 10 mil to spend next year

20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Well, then you must be happy with mediocrity? Every move Mac has made is indicative that he wants the Jets to be 8-8 for the foreseeable future. Let me ask you, where are all of those playmakers that are going to make the Jets win the division. What's even more absurd is you think they are going to become a perennial playoff team with Blowes as their HC? LOL Blowes plays not to lose, and every signing Mac has made supports that idea.

Not insulting you here, but please wake me up when they start signing honest to goodness playmakers. Guys that have changed the outcome of games with great individual play. Right now, we don't have any. As a result, if Mac continues down this path, the Jets will be another team lost in that sea of mediocrity.