Coffee and Health

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TonyFtLaud, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    My entire outlook on life changed.
    I was young, 24, just out of the military.
    I was invincible , or so I thought.
    I found a sudden appreciation for things I took for granted.
    Instead of going out late nights, I found I enjoyed getting up early , walking the beach at sunrise. I went from enjoying the city to preferring the country, the Everglades. I was much calmer, more serene. Even my taste in music mellowed.
    I even found myself preferring different foods. I could have lived on Pizza, wings, Pasta, Beer and shots.
    Immediatly after I found myself craving fruits, enjoying vegetables.
    Pizza, I do still enjoy occasionally, wings not really, haven't enjoyed drinking since, I may have 2-3 drinks over the course of a year.
    Some things like being more affectionate to family and friends, appreciating things more I can definitely attribute to the realization that any minute can be our last. Others ,like food preferences , music preferences, have to be due to physchological and physiological changes.
    There's no doubt it has helped deal with the Jets. I guess it's a combination of being more optimistic and realizing as long as I wake up on Sunday morning , no matter if we win or lose, it's a great day.

GQMartin and Brook! like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sounds like you remember it vividly like it was yesterday which is in alignment with the other accounts I’ve read.

Not going to go into detail on this board but I’m 35 and I’ve had two similar experiences (non NDE).

Can’t talk about it with real life ppl. They think u crazy.

3. TonyFtLaud

I do remember like it was yesterday and Monday was actually the 26th anniversary of the day.
    And I completely understand not going into detail here.
    I have had people reach out when they are near or a loved one is close to passing and sharing my experience seems to give them comfort. I'm not religious , but I am spiritual and I have my beliefs but I never bring that up with them.
    It's been a rough road, my SA node was completely destroyed from the defibrillation , had experimental leads implanted back then, they broke, left fragments in the ventricle which required a pretty serious surgery to remove them. An incision in the heart wall. That led to scarring and an eventual implanted defibrillator but I have lived 26 very good years , had a successful buisness , traveled most of the world, coached for yers, raised my children, saw one graduate college and my other is in his first year and hopefully I will have some more good years. Either way, the past 26 have been a gift , and the obstacles only made life that much sweeter.
    I think it gave me a much clearer perspective of what's really important.
    I love the Jets, but health, family and other things are more important. That's why you won't find me raging over a signing or cut, a drafted player getting injured. It's entertainment , have to roll with the punches and enjoy the wins. When ever they come.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just stay hydrated and you can do what you want with coffee.

I drink 4 or 5 cups of coffee in the morning and early afternoon, down from probably 8 when I was sitting at a desk all day.

However at about 2pm I switch over to water, carbonated water and lime juice in both and drink that for the rest of the day. Usually I'll drink 4 or 5 tall glasses by bedtime. The balance seems to work for me.

Brook! likes this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

Just watch your electrolytes. The coffee depletes them and water doesn't replace them. One day, maybe you sweat a little more than usual and you could have a really bad day. There usually is no warning . I only say this in hopes it can prevent someone from what I experienced. I was incredibly fortunate, many others are not.

Brook! and Br4d like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Depends on my day. If I'm doing a long road trip, I drink one cup in the morning, then either carry a cup in my Kuerig or get a large Sweet Tea which in itself is loaded with caffeine. Otherwise, I'm a one cup a day man in the morning and that's it. I use Stevia as the sweetner instead of the standard. sugar substitutes.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I drink one travel mug on the way to work, which takes about 30 mins. It does a good job taking the taste of cigars and heroin out of my mouth.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So what does heroin taste like?

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting thread. I'm on a low carb diet right now as well, and I noticed that after a couple months I started getting extremely sensitive to the cold (usually in my hands and my knees). It seemed to be related to a few things:

1. Not eating breakfast
    2. Drinking too much coffee
    3. Not drinking enough water
    4. Low sodium / potassium / magnesium.

Apparently the body goes through salt and electrolytes much faster when doing low carb. I started taking supplements, added a bunch more spinach to my diet (for potassium), and drank more water and it seemed to get better.

I'm tempted to start drinking the salt/potassium drinks like many others have recommended. I still don't eat breakfast, however, but I plan to change that in the future. I'd like to go back to drinking green tea instead of coffee, but I've just been loving black coffee. I used to hate it before this diet and would load it with sugar every morning but that was horrible for me.

RPOZ51, TonyFtLaud and Brook! like this.
  10. stinkyB

Gotta have breakfast everyday.... gets the metabolism going

11. Br4d

Thread breaker, as everybody skeedaddles for IHOP or Waffle House depending on their location:

[​IMG]

Cman68 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

similar to pussy only way better

TonyFtLaud and Brook! like this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I always envision it tasting like chocolate quik. Isn't it brown?

14. stinkyB

Well, that rabbit was a spazz..... could explain alot

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just have to break the habit. I'm never hungry in the morning, then when I drink a coffee, it seems to prolong the non hunger until lunch. I just have to start waking up early enough to eat before going to work.

#35 Sam Hammer, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

unless you score some china white..

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

so now you guys have me worried..

I've been working really long days, and trying to work out a few times a week. My caffeine intake has increased quite a bit.
    5hr energy, tea, pre work out, etc..
    Think I'm averaging 300-600 mg of caffeine a day.

18. Br4d

It tastes like... *smacking lips sound* Carnnt fil m tung

19. TonyFtLaud

Just be sure to stay hydrated and as GQMartin said, Coconut water is very good and a bottle of water with 1/4 tsp of lite salt and if you want some flavoring and you will be fine.

Brook! and BacktoQueens like this.
  20. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

A bit of a random tip, but half clear apple juice and half water contains roughly the same electrolytes as those hydration packs that they have in hospital. Great for when you have food poisoning, but potentially useful to know for regular hydration as well!

TonyFtLaud and Brook! like this.