Jets to sign ILB Avery Williamson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They wanted to tar & feather him and ride him out on a rail

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Davis drove me nuts last year. He has sucked his entire career, and then acted like he was amazing, just because he wasn't terrible for one year. I have never seen a (5-11) team pat themselves on the back more than the Jets did last year. I am glad the Jets did not give him $8 million a year. They rightfully knew he is not worth it. Hopefully Williamson is better.

nicg4360 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wasn't Davis asking for $10 million from the Jets? Sounds like the Jets were lowballing Davis and he was highballing them.

Why is it that the Saints always get our LBers?

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I guess they could say the same about us taking their scrap heap RB's lol.

Royal Tee and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

So you think Davis leaving somehow makes you right? You don't think through these things enough apparently? What I said about Lee still stands. Mac could sign another linebacker through FA or he could take one in the draft? The point remains, Lee's play is subpar not only from his draft spot but also from the Jets standards of what an ILB's play should be. If he does not improve his play, he's going to get benched.

And honestly, do you think you're telling me something by saying Lee will be in NY for as long as Bowles is? There's a very good likelihood Bowles gets fired after this season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Davis was a locker room leader and will be missed. Hopefully one of these new jacks can fill that void. I doubt Davis would have repeated the same as last year, but he sure as hell improved a lot. It's annoying because Davis only got $0.5m/year more than Williamson.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Penning10

Penning10 Member

I think this was a mistake. Nothing against Williamson, as he seems like a useful player and I hope he has a great 1-3 years here. But Demario Davis had a phenomenal year. 135 tackles and 5 sacks? That’s big time production and he always said the right things, acted the right way. Davis was a hard worker who set the tone and supported the coach and his vision. He was the anti-Mo Wilkerson.

It’s never smart to pay a veteran past his prime for his past production but rather for what you think he will do. However, Davis is 29, not 34. An extra 1.5 mill over 3 years isnt much to pay for a player that can play 30-40 % more snaps than the guy we replaced him with.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Jets need another LB whether through draft or FA.

Royal Tee and Penning10 like this.
  9. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Because they didn't view Davis as the better player. He's 29 and getting contract #3. They've made it obvious this offseason that they're only interested in players looking for their 2nd deals. Every single guy we have signed is in that position. Davis also got more guaranteed $ from New Orleans than we gave Williamson.

BomberJet likes this.
  10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Davis got an extra $2M guaranteed as well, but yeah, they definitely didn't view Davis as having a higher upside than the younger Williamson.

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Williamson getting David Harris comparisons? I'm with it :D

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

People who are upset with not resigning Davis...this dude is near the end of his prime. Davis did have an awesome statistical season, but there is no chance he repeats that.

Williamson provides the Jets with an EXCELLENT run stopper and is only 25 years old. This was a shrewd move, but a smart/excellent one.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Read different reports about this guy but they seem to center around tackles and plays the run very well- but can’t cover at all..

Does it bother anyone else that the Jets always seem to take:
    - LB’s who can’t cover or rush the passer but play the run well
    -TE’s who are ok to good receiving but can not block to save their lives
    -(Current group excluded) Safetys who cant cover but can play the run

It’s like everyone we get is Taylor made for how the league used to be but has king since shifted away from

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm going to miss DD... the guy was a leader both on and off the field.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This Williamson kid better be an impact player ASAP because out of the WHOLE roster Demario D was a standout every Sunday..not such a great move imo UNTIL he shows me something

Look at the Patriots they are an old group..BB doesn't consider age as much as performance on the field

16. NCJetsfan

I won't miss him, but I think the team could. He is a good guy and is a leader, and he finally played like a leader should in 2017. If he was willing to sign as cheaply as he did, I'm not sure why Mac didn't re-sign him, but I have no problem signing Williamson and getting younger at the position. If they had re-signed Davis, it would probably have only been a one-year contract anyway, so I guess we have to hope that Williamson will be a good player for us.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Wow, apparently the Jets didn’t even offer Demario a contract at all.

This was their guy.

18. NCJetsfan

It does, but it's not like LB who can cover well grow on trees. While more colleges are playing the 3-4 D alignment than before, still many 3-4 OLB prospects are used to playing with their hands in the dirt and not covering receivers, and that is a big part of their transition to playing OLB in the NFL. That's why I despise the 3-4 alignment and always have. It's a LOT easier to find 4-3 DEs, and 4-3 OLBs that weight 225 pounds who can cover well.

The odd thing is, they've eschewed the better TEs prospects in the draft who excelled as receivers but made no effort to block, and take middle and lower round TEs who may be pretty good receivers and block a little. I think the bottom line is that they just haven't valued the TE position very much at all, in spite of the fact that NE and much of the NFL highly values the position.

The other issue is that most of the GMs the Jets have had since the late '60s have flat out sucked or been mediocre. We could talk about a lot of busts, blown picks, HOF players we had an opportunity to draft and didn't, and lots of other positions that haven't been drafted well either.

BomberJet likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Mac saw what most of us saw... a guy who had a spike in numbers playing in a new D scheme. Couple that with the fact he's 29 and it was an easy decision. Not to say I LIKE the decision, because DD was extremely fun and easy to root for, but it was an easy, correct decision.

FJF and Big Cat like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Whoa. Either they just decided that they wanted to get young, which I can understand, or they didn't like him for some reason.