Jets to sign ILB Avery Williamson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Well the Jets sure as hell fell for this bs. Comparing him to Bobby Wagner? Comical and careless. This guy isn't in the same stratosphere as Wagner.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So the JETS got another LB who can tackle in the box, but cant cover? Sounds about right.

But the real question is; Can he dance?

Red Menace and Harpua like this.
  3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

He is younger and more promising than Demario, but I'm not sure if he's better. Demario's camp is seeking more $ than the Jets were willing to spend and Williamson is not a bad player. Good move to replace Demario quickly instead of being left with the bottom feeders.

tiger8mush and Harpua like this.
  4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Dream a little dream

5. BomberJet

This move is just to add some depth, and poses no plan to replace or depart with any of the current Jet starters, INCLUDING Darren Lee. Still, those with agendas here will make it like something else, of course.

6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Or getting benched?

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Lee has underperformed for two straight seasons since being drafted and yet somehow I have an agenda? Facts are facts bomber. Lee's stat line is so below average , he could easily be replaced by a mid round veteran. This signing represents the writing on the wall. If Lee doesn't get his shit together he's going to get benched

CBG likes this.
  8. MurrellMartin

You don't give someone a 3 year, $22.5 million deal to be a back-up.

He's replacing Demario Davis.

JetsNation06 and CBG like this.
  9. MurrellMartin

And there it is. Davis is signing with the Saints, per ESPN.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wow and for only like 500k per year more than Williamson. Tells you a lot about what they thought of Davis

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets made out like bandits getting essentially the same player but 3 years younger. Plus Davis had one big year and capitalized on it.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They thought he was 29 and his replacement was 26 and just as good. I don't think it says anything other than that.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

So we saved $1.5 million over three years. The question is did we get an upgrade or do we have the K-Mart version of Davis?

14. BomberJet

Well, you seem to be harping on any reason to flame him, and I think in this case with Williams you over did it. Now that Davis is gone, we all know what the reason for this signing.

And just as a reminder, as I mentioned many times, Lee is Bowles's boy and for ever how long Bowles is coaching the Jets , Lee is staying put. I have now problem with Lee's play as long as it has improved each year, and it has so far.

15. BomberJet

Your're right. Knowing this now, I have to question why they left, arguably their best starting LB high and dry. They need to address this area and Williamson is not the answer.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

This was obvious before it even happened days ago. Lol at the experts here in the peanut gallery thinking otherwise with the clueless pot shots

17. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think people tend to forget how bad Davis was when he took off to Cleveland. Last year he had ONE good year. It was of course a contract year. I'm not saying Davis is a bad player at all. He played surprisingly well but we tend to forget how no one wanted Davis here when he signed in Cleveland. To add to that many thought it was a ridiculous trade to bring him back to the Jets in the trade to be our starter. I'd say give Williamson a chance, he may be better than advertised to.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It amazes me how short the memories are on this board. We were talking about Davis the way we talk about Lee now only a couple of years ago. This was by far his best year in the league. I have no problem with this swap of players while saving a couple mill in the process.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Davis was sooo bad before he left for Cleveland that many thought it was stupid to send Pryor to get him back. Yes Calvin Pryor..

Walt White and nicg4360 like this.
  20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Not only that but I seem to remember how our own Muhammad wilkerson totally reverted to a shell of his former self after having such good seasons up to his contract year. Davis never even had those good seasons before his contract year in fact they were bad. All bad. I'd say he has a very good chance of crashing back to reality in New Orleans. It's not a given but 1 good season does not give me much confidence in his ability to continue with productive seasons.