Best of the rest 3-19-18. Free agents still available

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'd like us to stay away from players 30 or over given the direction of the team, but I largely agree with this list outside of that. I'd like to also add Thomas Rawls.

James Hasty likes this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If you think Toilet Bowles will give ANYONE a regular season snap as long as McNown is healthy, then I have a bridge to sell. 2018 will be a carbon copy of 2017--McNown under center with Bridgewater, Rookie QB, and Hack watching. Yes. MM will not let Hack be cut yet to protect Mac's ego, and THREE QBs will watch McNown take us to 5-11 again. But wait, he might get us to 6-10! Mayfield or whomever the jets select at 6 will not even get the BACKUP REPS, which will go to Bridgewater. OMG the jets may actually take a QB at #6 in round 1 and make him inactive on game day for most of the season. Stupid to sign both McNown and Bridgewater!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Agreed, in general, but having some veteran role models with a strong resume to serve as role models for these youngsters provides a certain value that may pay off throughout those young player's careers. How do you quantify that? Beats me.

4. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

What ???? He’s a veteran player, what were you give him a freakin paycut for the season he had last year? They signed him to be the starting QB, that salary is more then deserved. Some people, unbelievable.

TonyFtLaud, FJF, BacktoQueens and 2 others like this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that the Jets will retain McCown, Bridgewater, AND Hack, AND draft a QB at #6 overall AND have them all on the roster to start the regular season AND plan on keeping the #6 overall off the field all year? I can't imagine all of that coming to pass.

Or do you think McCown can easily be replaced by this McNown guy I've never even heard of? That, I can imagine--it would be very SOJ.

TonyFtLaud, apjbfc, FJF and 2 others like this.
  6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, and getting him and Bridgewater for a combined 15M will end up being a better investment for us than if we had paid Cousins 30M I suspect. We will know soon enough.

Skicats and Jets_Grinch like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

DaQuan Jones would be a good addition. That DL spot is pretty open
    Hoping they resign Claiborne. Very open to signing a new slot CB like TJ Carrie and cutting Skrine, but can also live with him
    Would like to see ASJ back at a reasonable price as well as Ealy.

Otherwise, can't think of other big spending I'd be looking for. I'd consider a WR who could really add something, but not just anybody. Maybe some interior OL depth, but prefer to draft somebody there early. No good pass-rushers unfortunately. Looking to the draft for much of the rest

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Fully agree with you. In addition I also question the wisdom of signing Bridgewater for 1 year without a team option for at least another year. If he ends up playing well, he's either bye-bye after the season or will take big $$$ to re-sign.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

McCown didn't play in the preseason last year. He'll play a little more this year. Bridgewater will get the reps and the draft pick. We'll see but not dumb. Maybe we get lucky and Bridgewater finds his old form and he becomes our long term answer or we franchise him and trade him after the season. Worse case scenario he stinks and we cut him. It's a win win.

tiger8mush likes this.
  10. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if the Jets get rid of Powell.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

This narrative is getting harder and harder to swallow. "Mac won't treat his oral herpes because he doesn't want to admit he went down on a skank!"

How does keeping an open sore on your lip protect your ego? Get rid of the sore and hope everyone forgets ASAP. That's how you protect your ego.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Daquan Jones signed with Tennessee

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Honey Badger and Suh!

Then draft all offence

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Don’t be. IF the Jets grab one of those Georgia RBs or Ronald Jones, Penny, etc. in the 2nd round - Powell is a goner ......

The RB position would be completely redone and its been long awaited.......

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, Mac's a mental midget compared to some of these guys

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but imo we can forget the Jets drafting one of those RBs. They signed Crowell to be the starting RB. Drafting one of those guys would be a waste. RB is the easiest position in the NFL for a rookie to come in, start day one and play at a high level. If the Jets were planning on drafting a RB I don't think they would have ever signed Crowell.

They were also trying to sign Jerrick McKinnon.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if you bring in the honey badger, you can offset his money by cutting the penalty machine, skrine? assuming they have claiborne back, they don't need skrine, as the three hybrids at safety can play all kinds of pass defenses

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At least one of them is going to the Patriots.

If that guy is Suh, the other will go to the NFCW.

If that guy is Honey Badger, the other guy will go to Buffalo.

Yeah, I don't know either. But I do know that neither will give the Jets a sniff.

Hopefully this post crushes my predictions.

19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Ok so it seems with Claiborn and Santos we probably have about 22 million left to spend if we need 20 million for the draft. Areas of need and some free agents still out there.

1. DL/DE: At this point I don't think we will make a significant signing. The two best players are Suh and Richardson. We haven't shown any interest in Suh. He's older I don't think we go there. Richardson I can see us signing if it is a one year deal and the price is right but probably not happening. We'll end up drafting someone and signing a few cheap free agents at this point.

2. OLB: A huge need. Will be addressed in the draft. Maybe we sign someone but not for much and that person might not make the team.

3. TE: I think the Jets will go with what they have in Leggett, Stirling and Tomlinson. Maybe draft a player or sign someone during camp or final cuts if need be.

4. Ol depth: Justin Pugh interests me as well as Ryan Jensen. Both want big money and have been rumored elsewhere. I don't think we'll make a push for them. Our money will be put elsewhere. We will probably resing Dakota Dozier and other like him. Young cheap guys who can help fill out the line. We'll see how the draft goes but they'll get guys that way as well. I can see them drafting a guard in round 1-3 starting him and cutting Carpenter post June 1.

5. Possible signings. We don't need anymore cbs. Tyronne Matthiea is an option. If we sign him for the right price then the Jets can cut Skrine.

6. LB depth: Probably sign a few guys on low short term contracts to fill out depth and special teams.

Richardson and Matthea (spelling) as our last two splashes. Everyone else depth, low cost and special teams players until the draft.

20. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

The way things are shaping out I'm concerned Macc is going to go BPA at 6. We've no depth at DL, with only Williams and McLendon signed currently. We've no starter at TE, still thin at linebacker, no pass rusher of note and still weak on OL although Long is a nice addition. So we still have needs all over the place and the signing of two QBs who could both start makes me think he's going to sit at six and take Chubb if he falls that low because he has too many other holes still to fill to trade up and grab Rosen / Mayfield.

I hope this is not the case obviously

NCJetsfan likes this.