Jets sign Spencer Long

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mid-level corners like Johnson don’t have sustained success unless they’re special. Patrick Peterson, Revis, Richard Sherman special. He’s not in that class.

Look at the history of free agent corner signings. Janoris Jenkins, Jimmy Smith, Logan Ryan, Dre Kirkpatrick, Kareem Jackson, and so on; one good year, one bad year. It’s such an up and down position.

And now we’re paying him more averagely than Xavier Rhodes, Patrick Peterson, AJ Bouye, etc. He’s the second highest paid corner in the NFL.

I hope I’m wrong. But I’ve been against overpaying for corners for a damn decade.

Corners are like runningbacks. You’re best off drafting them, run through their best years when their legs are fresh and let them go for their second overpaid contract.

CBG likes this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And Sherman's new contract is 27M for three years plus some incentives..of course our GM has never ever known how to pay CBs..it started with Revis and still goes down hill.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the skins ran a very similar offense to what we will run this season.

4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Have the IQ's dropped here all of sudden? All this is , is to add depth to a very weak and depleted position. Johnson was horrible and he was their only answer at center? This gives them much more flexibility to add more come draft day........that is all :)

themorey and stinkyB like this.
  5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lmao @ some of yall acting like youve seen this guy play more than a couple of times

foh

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Jensen is really the only C I wanted and I think if he isn't signed its probably indicative of Macc's mindset that linemen should not cost a ton. If you're going to draft a rookie QB, you need to surround him with a stout o-line and good receiving options. The jets are arguably doing 1 of the 2, which is of course not great

wewantsapp likes this.
  7. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'm with you all the way on that point, --- but I say if you can fix the position (C) in FA by signing a young guy to a longer-term deal relatively cheap (Ryan Jensen) then I say you go for that instead. However, -it is possible that Jensen, - just by convenient timing, - is looking to become the highest/higher paid C in the league. Its possible to conceive that contracts for guys like Alex Mack, Brandon Linder or Travis Frederick are outdated just because they were signed 2 or 3 yrs ago.

8. GasedAndConfused

I fully admit I have no idea how good he is, but in the same sense I cna't see him being worse then johnson was last year. I'd be interested in seeing longs PFF grade if anyone has it

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

From talking to my Skins friends he said Long was better at guard a few seasons ago then Center. Said he was rather average at center but he's versatile. Injuries really plagued the Skins so it was a lot of moving parts and Long suffered a knee injury iirc last year.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Long is Rick Dennison pick up. He suppose to be a zone blocking type center.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Quincy will be tendered by this afternoon if he doesn't sign a long term deal. Several players will be tendered by the Jets. The only way Q is allowed to walk is if his neck is still an issue.

12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Don't know of anyone who agrees that he's overpaid, that he slipped to the point where youre making him out to be a jag. Read he gave up one TD, he's highly rated everywhere else and he fills a real need. Throw in hes a man cover corner and it works for me.

Never get the outrage over what someone else pays. Not out of my pocket.

13. GasedAndConfused

thanks for the info. you can't have all stars at every position. i'd take average over the worst center in the league which is what johnson was last season

14. GasedAndConfused

completely disagree. lets not compare to in his prime revis, because no CB you listed is near that level. in the NFL today johnson is easily a top 3 CB in the NFL on top of that the rams franchised him 2 seasons in a row to keep him, they also let jenkins walk to keep him and jenkins was a pro bowl CB who's playing well with the giants, but johnson was better so they kept him. at this point they simply can't afford him so he walked. that's life in the NFL. I'd take johnson over any CB you listed easily

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

My buddy who's a diehard skins fan texted me "Solid, middle of road" when I asked his opinion.
    My response was "Doesnt totally suck" is an upgrade"

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Would have loved Jenson bit he won't sign untill he makes several vists. Mac did the smart thing in signing Long. Can still entertain Jenson and move long to guard but if Jenson were to choose elsewhere, we would be looking at Johnson and a rookie

17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

My buddy Skins fan kinda said the same thing. Said he was solid and versatile. Great against the pass rush, meh blocking for the runner.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You like most of us know less about him than we’re all acting. He’s probably a good player who looked a lot better with all those pass rushers and a Wade Phillips coached front 7 in front of him. There’s a reason this team went out and got Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib instead of just getting one and retaining Johnson.

Cornerback has never and will never be a position that teams should invest heavily in. You want to catch drafted lightning in a bottle with them and let them go get paid $15 million by a franchise like the Jets.

19. GasedAndConfused

not at all. I'd fully admit if i did (like i did with the skins center) in this thread a few hours ago
    [​IMG]
    Sunday ticket + Cash Fantasy football leagues. I've been avoiding johnson matchup's for years in fantasy leagues.

and yes there is a reason, it's called the NFL cap. i can easily say there is a reason KC shipped off peters so easily. see how that works?

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Draft Frank Ragnow, move Long to LG and release/trade Carpenter. It's good to have a guy like long with position flexibility to play either G or C if needed. Good signing.