I'm Happy With Day 1 of FA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I must say I thought I'd be bummed if we whiffed on Kirk, and I know as usual our fanbase is split in opinion on this but I generally am quite happy with day 1 of FA.

Bridgewater - The kid is only 25 years old, and before getting hurt was emerging as a solid QB. In fact just last year the Vikings were considering benching Keenum for Bridge. Obv Keenum kept him off the field but the point is, is that he was healthy enough to play LAST YEAR. I think this is a great low risk big upside signing.

Crowell - This guy is a really good runner. Most Browns fans will tell you he was misused by Hue. He is a home run hitter, but he can pound the rock too. A solid non-sexy signing, but I think this guy will really help us pound the rock, much better than Forte.

Trumaine Johnson - Top CB available in FA. We spent a ton on him, but much needed. Curious to see how we attack the other CB spot. This was a great signing to shore up the back end especially with our young and hungry safeties looming.

Avery Williamson - Great run stopper. Big guy in the middle of the field. Our new David Harris and he's young. Per rotoworld: Williamson had a breakout 2017, grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 3 inside linebacker, behind only Luke Kuechly and Bobby Wagner. Williamson received elite marks for his run defense." This is good company to keep.

So far a strong start for the Jets IMO. Curious to see where they go with things today.

Brook!, NYJalltheway, Rockinz and 8 others like this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

It's only March lets C how U feel end December 18 :mad:

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

agreed I liked the pick ups...

would like to go o-line & TE today.

also... whats up with HoneyBadger and the cardinals??? If he hits the market I say we roll out the red carpet!!!! Todd Bowles will get creative with him Maye and Adams! Plus Tyrann knows Bowles defense. Plays that nickel corner spot well too... say Claiborne comes back... really solid secondary with Tru already signed.

my probably unpopular opinion would be to bring $heldon back as well! His big money value has had to diminish after the suspensions and car incident..

that would be an awesome defense

tbruner12 likes this.
  4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

We have to still address O-line and maybe a WR for depth. Someone mentioned Jordan Matthews, or someone of that caliber.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I doubt Johnson is wort 15M a year, did Sherman even get that much?

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The question mark is actually the curvy-shaped one.

7. TurkJetFan

Sherman is coming off a torn achilles. So no.

8. TurkJetFan

Totally agree with this. It looks like ASJ may be headed to SEA. I had my eye on Burton but now that he's signed with Chicago I'd like the Jets to take a look at Tyler Eifert. I also wouldn't be mad at Jordan Matthews at WR.

I can't help but wonder if we are done at RB. I know we signed Crowell but perhaps we spin the tires on Carlos Hyde.

HoneyBadger is in the process of re-working his deal with Arizona.

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I would def bring Sheldon back. Not a fan of his immaturity, but having him tremendously boosts Big Cat's output.

tbruner12 and JetLifeLo like this.
  10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Eifert would have to be cheap or HEAVY on incentives. The guy is made of glass.

11. JetLifeLo

I don't get it

12. JetLifeLo

hyde signed to Cleveland this morning.

13. TurkJetFan

oh for sure. he won't get a lot guaranteed.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Just saw this posted in my local supermarket ---WANTED offensive linemen,, needed badly to replace what we currently have on roster. Center with experience preferred and needed badly. Also 2 other linemen with experience much needed inquire at Florham Park ASAP

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Jensen is a must today.

Try to meet a common ground with ASJ too.

If Honey Badger is released, we better be all over that.

16. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I can look at "Day 1" of our Free Agency spending in both a positive and negative light.

On the positive side, we upgraded at RB and CB, and likely ILB as well, and brought back McCown. Bridgewater, eh, does nothing for me, but as long as we still go QB in Round 1, it's fine. Just signals the end of Petty and Hackenberg, which is also fine.

On the negative side, it just seems like what we always do. Give big $ to a CB, let our FA's go for other teams FA's and never solve the franchise QB question/issue... but that could change come April 26.

I'm leaning towards the positive side for sure, because I really like Trumaine Johnson. He's so much more reliable and better than Morris Claiborne.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think an actual Edge Rusher would boost Big Cat's output much more. We need the linebackers to start winning those matchups on the outside. We don't need Sheldon.

All Gas No Shake, FJF, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

This is true as well. It was fun watching them both on the inside though.

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

So the sky isn't falling after not making any huge signings hours into free agency, imagine that.

Curious about the financials of Crowell, Johnson, and Bridgewater. Johnson seems like a good fit and they need a high-level CB, so there he is. Seems like he's inconsistent though, but gotta take chances somewhere. Crowell I'm warming up to; 4.3 YPC in Cleveland is pretty good. Williamson seems like a great player, but wonder what happened with Demario. Hopefully he can still grow as a player on passing downs / Darron Lee actually becomes that guy... Excited for Bridgewater. This guy was an up-and-coming star who was already good before this injury. If he returns to that form, I think he'll be tough to keep off the field.

Hoping for a starting Center (at least an NFL-caliber player while they can target an interior OL in the draft), to lock down another CB (Claiborne would do), and maybe DaQuan Jones today. Also will be keeping an eye on ASJ, Ealy, and Demario

MoWilkBeast and Harpua like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think anyone who thought we were fixing this roster through free agency was delusional. Tru Johnson was obviously the big target after we knew we were not getting Cousins. The Teddy signing had been rumored/leaked a bit ago leading to the realization if we were looking at him we were not getting a big name QB. We added a decent rotational RB and a ILB to replace Davis. I'd love to have seen some attention to the Oline but its only day one. We paid too much for McCown but with Davis likely out we needed a leader in the Locker room as much as we need a Bridge QB.

Cover over the obvious gaps in the roster during FA and draft for talent. So far its a start towards that.

NYJetsO12 and stinkyB like this.