Bridgewater to sign with Jets (1 year deal per Mortensen)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Its not Teddy downside, its the fact that this makes it less likely for them to draft a quarterback in the first round.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great point, and I really hope that you're right!!!!

I think it's either Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold that the Jets want. As I've stated before, unless the Jets plan to try to force Allen or Jackson into become pocket QBs and dink and dunk (and not build the offense around what he does well), or plan to have one offense for McCown and Teddy and another offense for Jackson or Allen, drafting one of the latter makes no sense.

If what you suggest is Mac's plan, it's a very good one, he just needs to make sure that he gets Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold. To do that, he needs to trade up to #3. If his plan is to draft Allen or Jackson, it's a bad one.

#342 NCJetsfan, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  3. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

I was for signing McCown, and I still think they're likely to draft a QB at 6. What worries me about signing Bridgewater is that they'll be content to stay at 6 and hope the QB they want falls to them, instead of being aggressive and jumping to #2 or 3 if possible. Including the Bills, who have made their intentions clear, there could be up to four teams with a QB need picking ahead of us. The Keenum signing gives Denver flexibility, but shouldn't preclude them from taking a QB.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

There is no chance the Jets don't take a QB in round one. Bridgewater is signed for 1 year and no team option. He is a very limited quarterback with a low ceiling

5. forevercursed

If Bridgewater looks ok in training camp and pre season they may trade him before the season begins. Once we draft our QB of the future, McCown will be mentoring him, Bridgewater becomes redundant. He can be flipped for a draft pick

6. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

lololol worst organization in pro sports.

Jets69 likes this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Zero chance we trade him before the season. That's just fn stupid. He looks good, then they trade him? Lol ok buddy

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  8. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Is there any chance there’s an option Year that hasn’t been reported? I mean, just-one-year doesn’t make a huge amount of sense.

Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Been thinking the same thing. Would be smart if there was a team option for a second year for 15M (i.e., McCown's salary plus Bridgewater's current salary).

egelband likes this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I think there's a 1% chance it happens, but what's stupid about it? If the Jets draft a rookie who is clearly ready to start in 2019 at the latest, and someone makes an offer we can't refuse, what's the problem?

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Ozymandias, post: 366586

Barkley at 6 via miracle. If not Nelson is fine.

Rudolph and Falk, I like both.[/QUOTE]

Barkley is a real possibility. The Giants are going to be the key. If they go QB or trade back it's possible.
    Brown's will go QB at 1 , Colt's could easily trade back, Brown's take Chubb or trade the 4, Broncos need a QB.
    Browns we're assumed to be taking Barkley at 1 but if so, would not have signed Hyde to a 3 year deal.

12. TonyFtLaud

The arrow was surgically implanted during his knee reconstruction...o_O
    I could be wrong but I think he mentioned the arrow was pointing up for the QB position in general. Not for Teddy as an individual.

13. forevercursed

If we legit get a QB of the future then we can say the arrow is pointing up. Neither McCown or Bridgewater will be here in 2019.

14. forevercursed

How "good" do you think Bridgewater can possibly look. He's not going to look like Rodgers or Brady. In a competition Bridgewater wont be beating McCown. No chance he beats out Mayfield or any of the top QB's coming out of college this year

15. TonyFtLaud

2019:
    McCown definitely not as a player, maybe as a member of the Coaching staff.
    Bridgewater? Depends on the draft and his performance . If we draft a QB who proves ready to start then I don't see Bridgewater back. If he plays well and proves to be the future, he will be.
    Bridgewater was a good signing. If he plays well the QB position is solidified for years, if he fails, let him go. $5 million for him was a no brainier.

FJF likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The only reasons I could see the Jets attempting to trade Teddy before the season starts are: one, he isn't healthy, in which case there would be no market for him; two, both the rookie and Hack were lighting it up and looked great, even then there'd have to be a team that lost its QB for the season and needed a QB. While it's possible, the odds are against that, both in terms of Hack looking great first and foremost, and secondly that another team's QB would have suffered a season-ending injury. Even then, I think that team would seek to trade for Foles rather than Bridgewater.

Do you see any other scenario(s) in which the Jets would seek to trade Teddy before the season?

17. forevercursed

No team option for Bridgewater. What's the point we're not going to be picking up any multi million dollar options to back up Darnold or Mayfield in 2019

18. TonyFtLaud

He doesn't have to look like Brady or Rodgers. I would be shocked if he can't beat out McCown.
    Tell me which one of this year's QBs will win ROY this year and be a pro bowl QB next year.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Seeking? Definitely not. And as I said, it won't happen.

But if we draft a QB and he lights up training camp, and then some deal materializes where we'd get great value for Bridge, there's nothing "stupid" about making a deal. That's all I was saying.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

Make up your mind, you just said Bridgewater could not beat out McCown or any of the top rookie QBs in this draft class and now you want to pay him a multi million dollar option to sit next year?