There IS a silver lining to today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

It's clear by Mac signing McCown and being in the process of signing Ted Bridgewater, that the writing is on the wall. Petty and Hack are on notice. Mac will take a QB in the draft. That is guaranteed.

Petty and Hack will probably get TC to prove themselves. They'll be trying to steal practice snaps from a rookie that they'll never even consider cutting, a veteran that resigned due to his good play in 2017, and a veteran that looked like a FQB two years ago.

I'm glad Mac is willing to admit his mistake and move on. This is something everyone knew for a long time. Mac needed to stop embarrassing himself.

2. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

They are goners at this point unless Teddy goes on IR before training camp.

Also I wouldn’t give McCagnan any credit here as he admitted his mistake one year too late. Otherwise Mahomes or Watson would be Jets right now and this team would look a lot different.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If we sign Teddy, and much to the dismay of many here, I will consider this a very good, prudent move. But caveated with the hope that we draft a QB at six, unless the top 4 dogs are gone. If we land a Rosen, Mayfield or even Allen this move will be IMO brilliant.
    Fire away

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Jets taking a QB at 6 and sitting him on the third string. There just aren't that many reps to go around.

Could easily see this pick going to OLB or OL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Get over it. If for every draft mistake the GM should be whipped, they won't be many left. You take calculated risks. And often you miss. That is life.

BomberJet, NoodleArm and FJF like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

cut those fuckers

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Maybe we could trade Petty for a case of kicking tee's? Or trade him to Liberty Mutual for insurance on Tedy's knee and Bryce could sell insurance for them.

J_P_5 likes this.
  8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

The only silver lining today is Trumaine Johnson.

Harpua, JetLifeLo, boozer32 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Petty will get cut and it'll be a pick @6 ,McCown , Bridgewater, Hack... Hack will go on IR for the year after TC.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Baring injury or otherwise both of those guys are likely gone ....Hack might end up on the practice squad .Unless Mac doesnt end up taking a QB that's the only way Hack stays but Petty is gone.

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You'd rather throw him into the fire beyond our makeshift O-line?

He's third-string for one redshirt year unless Teddy turns into something spectacular.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

There is no way we are going QB at #6. We didn’t tank hard enough. I doubt we draft a QB at all. McCown and Bridgewater is their solution.

Chubb, Fitzpatrick, or Ward, here we come! I wouldn’t be distraught about Chubb, but anything else is stupid. Watch us take Vita...

#12 Martin&theJETS, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The way I see it is pretty clear, Jets are not the type of team that can develope a QB so they are left with the lesser of two evils.

Sign veteran QBs and use the draft to build the rest of the team with priority given to the defense.

If Jets sign Bridgewater, he's their backup, Mcown has already been given the starting job, that makes the QB drafted at six unnecessary from this FO perspective.

QB position is set, the only thing I see them doing is taking a QB with a later round pick.

JMO

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Both guys are on one year deals. Nothing is set.

NYJetsO12, JetsNation06 and Jets69 like this.
  15. Martin&theJETS

It just means drafting a QB is not a necessity. It can easily now be pushed off until the 2019 draft. If they loved a prospective QB at #6, they wouldn’t sign two veteran QBs.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Just because they love a prospect doesn't mean they're guaranteed to get him. The signings were insurance. It does not mean they don't love any of the prospects.
    If they don't think they can develop a QB they might as well go into a different line of work. Lol at the notion that they don't wanna invest in a QB

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The way I see it, signing McCown and B'water gives Macc the most flexibility going into the draft. If he can trade up for what he considers a fair price and get his FQB he can do that; if he can't he can wait to see if a QB he likes is still there at #6, but if neither of those happens, he still has at least serviceable options in place. It's not the plan I want - I want him to go all in on trading up and getting the best QB he can - but it makes sense in light of his track record. Also, if he does land a QB in the draft, he doesn't need to start him Day 1. All in all it's logical, if not satisfying.

wampa, boozer32, JETS1116 and 2 others like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

considering this years prospects, i could definitely see them immediately red shirting whoever is drafted

19. Martin&theJETS

I was saying at #6. They might love Darnold and believe he does not make it to #6. But, they arent willing to trade to #1 or #2.

The other QBs they may not believe to be worth #6; therefore, they wouldn’t even draft them if we hadn’t signed the two veterans.

I guess this could mean they don’t like the prospects or they don’t think they will fall. I can’t see us drafting a QB at #6 now. But I guess it’s pretty similar to Denver and Arizona. They could have their respective QBs sit the pine and have the rookie take over.

I would love to see a rookie start over McCown and Teddy. Reshirting sucks so bad as a fan, especially when you see other QBs flourish. Add in the fact we are the Jets and cannot develop QBs, it seems like a broken record.

#19 Martin&theJETS, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I have to imagine that the intent here is to set Teddy up as the starter, #6 as the backup, and McCown as the #3/bench coach/Teddy insurance. If they just can't bear to give up on Hack, I doubt they will have any trouble landing him on the PS.

NYJetsO12 likes this.