Must Trade to #3 Now!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Greensleeves, Mar 4, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's two problems with this:

1. Do we have enough to outbid Buffalo? Quite possibly not.
    2. Even if we do, will Macc spend the capital? Not likely IMO.

This is the curse of being a Jets fan. Watching other teams that suck "get well", while we continue to flounder in purgatory. We aren't the worst, we're just never the best. It's getting really old.

Brook!, dogg, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Macc’s job is on the line and he knows that. He’s been pretty timid in the past but I really do believe that the jets are going to try to move heaven and earth to get cousins. If Kirk decides to go with the Vikings it won’t be because of the money because the jets will probably offer way more than the Vikings, even if both teams are expected to offer 3 year fully guaranteed deals.

Say we do strike out on Cousins, jets are going to have to use the first, 2 second rounders from 2018, and likely a first and change from next season. The fact that other teams may be banking on the jets being bad again may be enticing for them to trade with the jets versus the bills.

Either ways, the stale, middle of the rough bullshit is getting old. Macc and Bowles are gone at years end if the results aren’t markedly better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

If #3 is the most likely trade-up spot, we'd better hope that the Colts love Chubb or Nelson, because they should be able to get one of them and additional draft picks if they trade with us to #6, instead of back to #12 when both will be long gone.

Assuming the draft goes:

1. Browns: Barkley
    2. Giants: QB 1
    3. TRADE: Jets: QB 2
    4. Browns: QB 3
    5. Broncos: QB 4
    6. Colts: Chubb or Nelson

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I don't get all the greif if the bills trade up to 2 (because I don't think the #1 is for sale) we still can trade up to 3 and have our choice of every QB -1. Even trading up to 4 Mayfield or Rosen will likely be there with the bills jumping to 2. I'm not one of the concerned ones.

5. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

I'm just assuming the Giants won't trade back, mostly for the benefit of this thread, if it means missing out on their preferred QB, Nelson, or Barkley if the Browns pass.

6. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I just find hard to believe
    I agree I am not so sure the Colts will want to drop to 12 and miss out on a blue chip prospect especially if Barkley or Chubb is there at #3

7. ColoradoContrails

I wonder if the Bills would be doing all this trading - and giving up of assets like TT - if they hadn't received some kind of assurance from somebody - Browns, Giants, Colts - that they'd be willing to trade down? They seem to be going "all in" with what they're doing. If they can't get into the first 4 spots at least, then they're looking at not having a starting QB and will have to scramble to get one later in the draft and hope they hit paydirt, or can sign a serviceable FA. That seems like a pretty big gamble to take without some assurance they can pull it off.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a good point, and you could be right, but you're not necessarily right. In another thread it was posited that the Bills like Allen. He could possibly fall to #12. Someone else also said that the Bills might like Jackson. #12 would be about the right spot to take him. It's gonna be interesting and scary to see what happens.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

In my understanding, the #6 pick gives the Jets more draft capital in the long run than the Bills. #6 overall + early 2nd > #12 and #22.

I'm really hoping that Macc is willing to do it if the QB he loves is there. McCown/Bridgewater should not change that. With McCown already on the roster, I feel it should be Mayfield or bust. Rosen would likely be ready to start very soon into the season, while Mayfield will need some time.

They have to pull the trigger. Even if it puts 4 QBs on the roster, it's worth it because the Jets can always trade one of them down the road to a QB needy team.

#89 Sam Hammer, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Walt White, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Macc being willing to do it is only one part of the problem. There's no certainty that anyone will be willing to trade.

Again, this all results from winning 2-3 more games that didn't really make a difference except to give the Johnsons cover to extend Macc & Bowles.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Mac don't have the time to sit around and develop a future franchise QB. He needs results now. He should for his job security pick someone he can plug in to contribute right away. I think the closest thing to a sure thing in the first ten picks would be Nelson, if he is there. He may have approached the draft differently if it was his first year as GM.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m hearing Buffalo is working on another trade to get into top 10 Possibly too 5 to trade into #2 spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Well, Chris said there was no playoff mandate for 2018 for better or for worse. If Mac nails this draft and we have a FQB that who plays and shows something to build on by the end of the year, he is safe. Then again, who knows what Chris really thinks.

14. ColoradoContrails

I have no doubt that is what Buffalo is trying to do. The question for us is: What is Macc doing? Will he go "all in" on getting our FQB? I'm skeptical.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

As scary as it sounds, I feel like the Jets are simply going to go BPA at #6. If Mayfield or Rosen falls you snag him. If Barkley or Chubb falls you snag them and look for a QB later. If all 4 QBs go into top 5, then either Barkley or Chubb is guaranteed to fall. If not, one of the four QBs. I'd pass on Allen at #6, though.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m still pretty confident that one of the 4 make it to 6. I’ll be happy with any of the 4 at this point. They all have some questions and all have some upside.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mac won't trade everything to move up, in my opinion he's cheap and I like that. He'll find an out to things and he won't deal too many picks to get something. I applaud that about him. He's tried to trade up before, but he won't sell the entire farm. Thats his mindset IMO.

McCown will bring up Lamar and I think that will get things started:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ckson-josh-mccown-disagrees-with-bill-polian/

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wouldn't be so sure. The draft could easily go:
    1. Darnold
    2. Rosen
    3. Mayfield
    4. Allen

Which is why Mac can't hesitate about trading up if he knows who his guy is. Hopefully, it's not Allen.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m not so sure, as I’ve been following the draft long enough to know nothing is a sure thing, especially in March. However I am pretty confident. I’d have no issue if Allen was the pick, he has questions just like every other one, his upside is enormous.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jets QB plan ..with 2 guys on the roster who have NO future with us ..hinges completely on Mr Mac and this draft..now that I think about it Mac is making up for the 2 safeties last year with 2 and prob 3 QBs hahahah

Get your 5 picks in hand ..do what it takes ..3 First rounders and a couple of seconds who cares at this point ... and approach the Colts with the BEST offer ..

IMO the Jets advance over the next 5 years with this draft or we regress 5 ..it's that simple ..you won't see another QB class like this one for a while

Kudos to Contrails for pointing how those "miracle wins" we got from our Resigned QB bumped us out of the top 3 spots

phubbadaman and CotcheryFan like this.