Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This seems way too obvious, so it's tough to see it happening. Because, you know, Jets.

abc likes this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm still waiting for Nnamdi Asomugha to sign.

almbleamal, NCJetsfan, FJF and 7 others like this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

where do the jets need help? Throw a dart at the map.

abc likes this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I heard that C Richberg from the Giants has had over 20 concussions...that's one off the list as far as i'm concerned.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wow. You are going way back. The old Revis/Asomugha best secondary in the universe dream

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Sherman signed w/9ers. 3years

[​IMG]

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

And with no agent. Are agents even that important? Lol

nicg4360 and Royal Tee like this.
  8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

In all fairness, Sherman can hold his own...

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Sherman, 3yrs/$39M but only $5M guaranteed. Maybe he should have used an agent.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Good. Now someone needs to sign Murray and I don't have to worry.

FJF and abc like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I do. If the Jets draft one of Darnold, Jackson or Allen, each probably needs to sit for a year, and Bridgewater would be a good bridge and mentor.

If the Jets draft Mayfield or Rosen, Bridgewater could push him and make him compete for the starting job. If the one the Jets draft isn't ready to start day one, then Bridgewater could start. If the rookie is ready to start, or when he is ready to start, Bridgewater would be a very solid backup and mentor for the rookie. If Bridgewater winds up starting several games and plays very well, depending upon the length of the contract the Jets sign him to, they could possibly trade him for a decent pick, or if he only signs a one year deal, they still would get a comp pick for him next year if they decide to let him walk, or if he wants a chance to start somewhere. Bridgewater would also be excellent insurance if the rookie doesn't develop. He would be the best QB the Jets have had since Chad.

The only drawback I see is that supposedly McCown was very popular, and his offensive teammates could be very unhappy if he isn't brought back, or Bowles could just start Bridgewater and not give the rookie a chance to start.

The bottom line ist hat one can never have enough good QBs. For years, the Jets haven't even had one good QB . Having two would be awesome for a change.

#771 NCJetsfan, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As I said in another post, even if Cousins does continue to stay healthy and play well for 5 more years, the Jets young team would be again when he was done, and they'd then hope to draft a young QB or pray that another decent QB became available in FA. It just doesn't make sense. THIS is the time to get a young and let him grow with his young teammates. With this being a strong draft for QBs, the timing is right, the Jets must draft a QB and forget the nonsense of signing Cousins.

BomberJet likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If, big if, Cousins does sign, the Jets can draft a QB in his 2nd,3rd,4th years without being pressured to reach or trade up for a QB immediately. They wouldn't have to wait until after Cousins declined to start looking for a QB.
    Cousins would remove the pressure and immediate need for several years and owing the orginization to pick a QB they feel would be the best fit doing forward.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The greatest trick the devil ever played was beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl with Nick Fucking Foles.

Now, dozens of dumb ass teams will think the QB position isn't as important as it really is, and will sign shitheads like Cousins.

Fuck Philly.

15. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The last time the Jets had a huge cap space, they resorted to acquiring high priced older free agents. I think we all know what happened. I would rather see the Jets spend their money more wisely. I believe I have brought this up before, but football talent should be thought of as stocks. From this you have the P/E ratio, basically what does it cost for the player versus what they produce. You have "book value" of a stock which would be what would be cost if the player bombs. What is guaranteed money in this analogy.

So if the Jets would consider being more like Warren Buffet, looking for value and long term success in your investments, I think they would have more hits than mistakes in their portfolio of players.

Why not build the team from the ground up, having a deep roster that can sustain injuries by having adequate backups. Younger players cost less and last longer, so thrive for them. When that younger player gets older and you want to keep them then use the money.

NCJetsfan and abc like this.
  16. Jersey Joe 67

The thinking is spot on but requires our scouts and management be able to uncover these players both in FA & the draft... that's not something I have very much confidence in, sadly.

Brook! and abc like this.
  17. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Where's the laughing emoji when you need it. :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I agree but you have to remember who's in charge of this organization... need I say more.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Not sure what his asking price would be but the more I think about it the more I’m hoping for a QB depth chart of Bridgewater , a pick @6 and Hack .
    I realize Bridgewater is a ? because of his injury but I’d rather roll the dice on a guy that’s 25 and a rookie , than McCown at close to 40 and is just a 1yr bridge .
    I kinda feel it’s $ well spent to pay Teddy on a 3yr incentive laden deal and bring along the rookie at a pace that isn’t putting too much pressure on the kid .
    If we pick a true FQB and Teddy shows he’s playing well it can only benefit us with possibly having some trade bait when we are ready to hand over the reigns ... if not, at least we have a chance that a young Bridgewater could be a solid starter moving forward .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think you are right about Bridgewater from a talent perspective. To me the benefits of bringing back McCown are 1) we know he's going away after this upcoming season and 2) he has more incentive to play the mentor role than Bridgewater.

I think wherever Bridgewater lands, his primary motivator is to win the job, not be a mentor. He's too young and too talented not to be full on competitive.

If you bring him in and he loses to a rookie, do we end up with a malcontent?

themorey likes this.