It's really on Bates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Lets be real. Even if I loved Bowles, which I don't, do you really think this current staff can develop a modern NFL attack? Or a QB?

I pray Bates is the next Sean Mcvay or Doug Pederson but if not what do you think Forrest Bowles is going to teach a Rosen, Mayfield or other?

It's very depressing to think we have a coach built for 1990 NFL team management.

Just look how bad Goff was under the antique Fisher. Look how bad Foles was under him too.

Until we correct this fatal flaw in our staff, we are not going anywhere.

This is why I have zero joy in this offseason

Praying for Bates.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting anything from Bates. He was a burnout and took 4 years off from his career. The NFL is 24/7 evolving job and so many things change just in a season. Expecting him to have focus is asking alot. Expecting him to tranform this teams offense will be nearly impossible. He couldn't even get Petty and Hackenberg prepared.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The knock on Morton was he wasn't very creative game planning & play calling. He'll go into the game with a set plan and if it didn't work...oh well better luck next week. I think Bates has more experience & knowledge of running a offense than Morton. I also think Dennison was a good signing. Everywhere he coached the team had a top 10 running game.
    Only time will tell, but I feel more optimistic this year with Bates as OC than I did last year with Morton as OC.
    Hopefully we Draft a QB that has starting potential that can be coached into a FQB.
    Bates had no chance coaching Hack & Petty because they just don't have the potential to be a starter in this league no matter who is coaching them. Got to give Bates some credit for helping McCown have a career year last year.
    Bowles has 2 strikes against him with his last 2 OC. Hopefully he gets it right this time. Also praying for Bates.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

wrong thread

#4 FJF, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So please explain how "Forrest Bowles", who obviously hinders any QB managed to have two long time veterans come to the Jets and put up their career years under this know nothing?

Instead of throwing shit against the wall, look at what we've had here and the production we've gotten. To compare the Jets to Fishers work with Goff is so SOJF

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Jon gruden will be stuck right there with the Jets with his non analytics and coaching so we won't be alone!

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

In regards to Morton, I think it was the opposite. I don't remember where I was reading this but there was a lot of talk about how he was implementing a lot of Air Raid concepts into the offense, which is a big reason why: 1) McCown looked as good as he did with the Jets, despite not having premium WRs to throw to and 2) old school players and coachers were unhappy with him. The Air Raid is quite pass happy and there is a sense the Jets weren't running enough.

Personally, I'm anticipating the Jets to move back to a more balanced / run heavy focus this season (especially if we have a rookie QB). I think a lot of people won't understand the transition back away from the Air Raid system, and be alarmed that the passing game / statistics are "dropping off". I'm predicting the loss of Morton will be mourned on this message board at some point during the season.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think it is a knock on Bates if what I think will happen actually transpires. Its just perception mixed with not understanding why.

8. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

This is my understanding of the situation also....I was actually surprised by how many people were happy Morton was fired from what I understand it means we are going back to a more run based ground and pound offense.

dogg likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Unless we get Cousins, I fully believe this is end of Bowles after this year. I don’t get the desire to run when on many occasions our offensive line got 0 push and runningbacks had no lanes to run through. Bowles has the extremely outdated mindset of controlling the clock and winning with defense. For once, we were going more than 50/50 pass run and it was succeeding despite having nearly no talent on offense. Morton gave us a functional offense and Bowles will regret firing him IMO.

ColoradoContrails, CBG, dogg and 2 others like this.
  10. abc

abc Well-Known Member

In other words Fire bowles.

CBG and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I agree....everyone....i mean EVERYONE was assuming Maccowan was going to fail miserably with our offence myself included. It was still a terrible year but a career year for him. That has everything to do with the offence we ran. I hope this offence is simplified and built around the strengths of our rookie QB to help him develop...ew there's that evil word again.

LF911SC likes this.
  12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is one of many reasons I really want Baker Mayfield. Josh Allen especially, and to a lesser extent Sam Darnold, are going to require some grooming time before they are ready to hold the keys to the kingdom. Arguably Mayfield and Rosen are the only two QBs in this class of whom the expectation is that they take the job on day 1 and are fully capable of handling it.

13. Bowles does little to dispel any of this. You keep waiting for the elephant in the room to be addressed either by him or the media. Can’t someone ask the guy why everything is so tilted toward defense when in his introduction presser he stressed balance & attention given to all 3 units??

Does he view the offense as anything more than a footnote to trying to win w defense? Is the preference for veterans on O due to his insistence on minimizing mistakes even at the expense of scoring points? Jet fans aren’t stupid & we’ve seen that song n dance before w Rex & Herm.

His comments thus far this offseason continue this alarming trend.Suggesting the team is going to be “run first” & that age “doesn’t matter” for the QB they bring in.Things can change quickly & this is a time of smokescreens..but doesn’t this seem to all be trending toward another 3 yards & a cloud of dust offense run by a journeymen veteran QB??

It’s very sad that the jets can’t seem to shake this outdated overriding philosophy..Hiring Bowles has made it even worse than it was before his arrival.

ColoradoContrails, dogg and Brook! like this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

NFL coaches do whatever is most comfortable to them. For a lot of defensive coordinators turned coaches the comfort of relying on your defense to win the game is probably why they act this way. That’s why coaches like Belichick have succeeded so well. You don’t know what he’s gonna do week to week and he will feature a different runningback or receiver every week to throw off the opposition. Bowles seems desperate to win and this is how he best thinks he can accomplish it.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be totally wrong on both of the following points, but it seems to me that if Morton did implement a lot of Air Raid concepts into the offense that that would have helped make Petty better, but instead, it seemed to make him regress. While I don't think Art Briles' Baylor offense could be classified as an "Air Raid" type offensive system, it seems it would have a lot more in common with Briles' system than the WCO, since both the "Air Raid" and Briles system are spread systems.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

People here keep saying [Wow. McCown had a CAREER YEAR in New York!!]

Like it means a damn thing.

Last time I checked, Jets offense - both pass and rush - ranked out of 20th. Career year from McCown wasn't even good enough to be an average. [With healthy stat inflation, McCown ranks like 14th with 94.5 QBR.] And this was the case before his season ending injury as well.

Bates has his work cut out for him. I think he will fail. Like many his predecessors did.

17. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I hope Bowles masters Bates. Really shows him who's boss.

18. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

If we're going to adopt a run heavy scheme next year drafting someone like Allen who excels on play action bootlegs might not be the worst idea.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

It did mean something because most were expecting just a win or 2 and blowouts for the better part of the year. We actually we're competitive and did not completely self destruct until McCowan was injured. It was a lost cause from the get go yes BUT the team did rally around McCowan and it was quite evident how much better the team was with him in when petty took over and the meltdown began.

Not saying it was great by any means but he was a bright spot in a down year....had he played just 1 more game hell even 1 more quarter Robby Anderson probably would have got 1000 yrd receiving season. In our putrid offence that is quite an accomplishment.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What exactly on Bates resume gave you this warm and fuzzy feeling about him? The 4 vyears he went walkabout or the one year he was OC with Seattle and got fired? Morton got a career year out of McCown, made Anderson look promising (on the field), Kearse achieved great numbers and ASJ rebounded from a career that was headed for the scrap heap and we actually used the TE position for something other than blocking. Bates work with Petty and Hackenberg was enough to have him fired. Instead the Jets hired him to be OC.

Ralebird, ColoradoContrails and abc like this.