Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Would you really give up the 6 , both seconds and next year's first for one of this year's QBs? And if so, which one would you select?

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The one team people are forgetting about that could throw a monkey wrench in our drafting a Qb is buffalo. They need a Qb and they have the
    Draft picks to move up to #3 or #4 or even #5 if broncos take cousin. Now if the vikings or jaguars sign cousin we may not even be in the market for A top 4 Qb. Browns, giants, bills, broncos may all take Qb's. Then we're really behind the 8 ball.
    We may be looking at a round 2 Qb possibly Jackson. :(
    The only thing I see good in this scenario is we get Barkley or chubb.:)
    This is why I want to go after cousins. You have to look at the big picture when signing cousins, which is the draft. A lot of good Draft scenarios if we sign cousins
    To many bad scenarios if we go Qb in the draft. Going Qb in the Draft does not guarantee a top 4 Qb.

#2262 BudJet, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    nicg4360, FlaJet and FJF like this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Not really giving up the 6, you're swapping. However, to move up to No. 1, yes, for Darnold or Rosen. For Mayfield, which is the one I really like, I don't think I'd have to move up to No. 1, but certainly to 3 and the cost should not be as high. I saw one mock that had the Jets giving up one of their seconds and a seventh to move from 6 to 3.

NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

I jus
    I just think that's alot of capital to give up with a roster full of glaring Holes. If we were a QB and a couple of players away I would be all in on that scenario though.

nicg4360 and westiedog1 like this.
  5. westiedog1

Of course it's a lot, but you have to think of the payoff. And a lot of those holes can be filled with FA (the Jets have the money.) Take a kid like Goff. The Rams took a gamble, they probably sh*t in their pants his first year, but he blossomed in his second. Now the Rams have their guy for possibly the next 10-13 years or so and can concentrate on surrounding him with talent from here on. Same for the Eagles and Wentz. That's what I'd like for the Jets.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

I have said Buffalo is the team to watch in the draft. They have the capital to move up as far as they like.
    If the Vikings sign Cousins, Keenum and Bridgewater become top FA targets.
    If the Panthers sign him, Mac should be calling Marty Hurney and throwing multiple picks and a player or 2 at him for Cam , but with only $20 mill in cap space, they likely have to release him to sign Cousins.
    In that Scenario, $150 fully guaranteed could become reality.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The redskins were patting themselves on the back for the rg3 trade early on too. Let’s see where they are in a few more years before making that the model for success.
    Also the rams were stocking talent pretty well off of the rg3 trade when they made their move.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

But that's not really sustainable. You can't build through Free agency and remain competitive. You can buy a window, then lose your home grown talent, rebuild, then rinse and repeat.
    The Rams could lose Watkins and Joyner this season and retain their kicker. That's going to hurt them. I have not looked to deeply into the Eagles cap situation but I know they are fairly tight and expect they will also lose some good players. To have sustainable success, you need a roster built in the draft. You don't need blue Chip players at every position but at least solid starters and depth add a few free agents to that mix and you can win long term.
    That's why I'm in favor of building o line, d line RB in the draft.
    QB, ( quality almost never available), CB, Edge are where I think you can splurge in free agency. Just my opinion. I could be wrong and there are exceptions.

FJF likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

qbs,edge and left tackles are rarely available in free agency. corners are hit or miss year to year. rbs should be drafted, run into the ground and let walk .

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I ment to say jaguars not panthers

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. westiedog1

Yes it is sustainable. How many FA's came and went during P. Manning's tenure at Indy or Favre's at GB, or Brady's at NE? Yet they produced winning season after winning season. The QB is the most important position on the team. Once you get that settled, it takes a fairly good FO to manage all the pieces year after year but it has been done.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I come off like I think I know everything every gm is thinking but this is a message board so I post my opinion as does everyone else....yourself included. I'm taking an educated guess. That's all it is.....which again what everyone else is doing because as you said no one really knows. Sorry if I came across as a know it all because at the end of the day it's just a guess nothing more.

13. TonyFtLaud

Jags are not in the running at all.
    They gambled in 16 with Bortles wrist injury, should have addressed it then but had him playing hurt all of 17. That's a $19 million dollar mistake that takes them out of the Cousins lottery.
    Vikings have 4 key players to lock up in 18 and Cousin's contract would prevent it. I guess it comes down to how much they value him vs Diggs,Barr, Kendricks etc.
    I was excited about the possibility of Cam being our starter next year,,, o_O

14. TonyFtLaud

Your talking decades vs 1 year. Let's go apples to apples.
    None of the 3 teams you mentioned built through FA. The Packers are probably the least active team in FA ever, The Colt's added some key FAs and the Patriots have historically been home grown with one or two FAs mixed in.
    That's why last year's FA splurge caused so many articles that Brady and Belichick we're going all in for one last push.

15. westiedog1

Also apologize if I came off smarmy. I love that everyone has a different opinion and can discuss them civilly.

nicg4360 likes this.
  16. nicg4360

I get your reasoning but you can't really compare those QBs to what may or may not be available in the draft. Those franchises could do that because they had all world QBs like a Manning/Brady/Favre....plug and play any system QBs.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Has anyone else stopped to consider the fact that other free agents will want to come to play for us if we have Cousins signed up as our leader instead of QB mystery meat?

18. nicg4360

That's always been something I thought about and as much as Cousins will cost we may not have to pay through the teeth to have FA come here as will be the case if we field an anemic offence.

19. nicg4360

You made a good comment as much as I hate to admit it lol. I too believe Kizer showed some promise at times last year...in fact he had a comparable year to Goff's first season. I think he was better than a lot of people make him out to be. They may just look to sign McCarron as Jackson and Mccarron have ties back in the Cincinnati...as well they tried to make a trade for him during the season. This could allow Kizer to develop behind McCarron. Definitely could see this as a possibility.

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Darnold is good man I’m just not sold he’s the best. He needs to show me some fire and emotions that he’s loving the feeling of winning.

Rosen is a gem he’s truly a Joe Flacco clone. Everything reminds me of Flacco.. His frame, his deep ball accuracy even how he stands in the pocket.

The 2 wild cards are Allen the big arm athletic type with the pro measurables, the guy reminds me of John Elway or even Aaron Rogers at times but on some occasions he looks like just an average QB. Jackson is a better version of RG3 and could have the best start to his NFL career. If he can stay healthy playing his style and get the right coach, he could be great.