Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You have to believe that Josh Allen and/or Lamar Jackson will be better option than Cousins as those are the most realistic options that will be available to Jets as of right now. I think each of them have potential but they would have to reach their fullest potential to be better options and you gotta be out of your mind or just have no football knowledge to think taking that chance is a better option than signing a ready made very good QB while still having all your picks.

BacktoQueens and nicg4360 like this.
  2. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far....we have no idea what each of these rookie QBs will be...they all are hopefully going to take whichever franchise drafts them to the promise land but they could all be average and even busts.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's true we don't know, but we do know what what Cousins will be, a decent QB, but never a great one.

4. nicg4360

I think what people need to take in consideration is that the jets have had 2 mediocre seasons with a record of 5-11. Ownership says of course they are willing to tough it out through losing seasons to build a winning team. They now have a very good quarterback that's very realistically available for them to sign. Do you think they choose option A. Sign the FA quality QB and get back to winning seasons possibly as soon as next year or...option B take a chance at on a rookie with lots of potential and have most likely 2 more losing seasons with and then start to see the dividends of that pick in about 3 seasons. My bets are on the Jets management preferring option A.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I've said this before but it's worth repeating.

Top 5 best completion % ALL-TIME:
    1) Drew Brees (of course)
    2) Chad Pennington
    3 & 4) Kurt Warner and Kirk Cousins (tied)
    5) Peyton Manning

That is an ALL-TIME list.
    Granted the sissified age of football has skewed the numbers in favor of modern QB's, but it's still a very impressive list.

Accuracy and intelligence is a great predictor of future success.
    Case in point, everyone of those QB's succeeded when moving to another team.
    In other words, it wasn't the system or coaches or players around them that made them good, they proved they could succeed anywhere.
    This also disproves the myth that FA QB's never work out.

Cousins will be the next one to prove he is a unique talent that will play well anywhere he goes.
    If you actually put a solid team around, he can be elite in this league.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Based on your membership since 2008, you'd be included in that fanbase. Making a blanket statement like "...more proof that this fanbase will never ever be happy" registers pretty high on the "Dumbest Comments Dial".

If you've been rooting for this team for 50+ years as some of us have, maybe you've understand the pessimism that we have, coupled with the apparently bottomless support we've shown despite being treated like Lucy treats Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football.

I'm not going to even try to justify or defend NC's comment, he has to own that himself. BUt when you consider that every team - except the Patriots - has to have some luck to get to and win a SB, if you would refuse a Lombardi Trophy because of "luck", you'll never get one.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The Jets have the cap room and not excuse no to sign at least one of the top five QBs in free agency this year. Due to injuries Bradford, Bridgewater,and even McNown come with some risk. Even if we do not give Cousins $30 mil it is very likely we give at least $15 mil to someone else.

Some of you are setting the bar way to high on this one. If our two objectives are to get one of the top five guys available and for him to be better than average (top 15 QB next year) who is a safer bet than Cousins?

LAJet and FJF like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Since when is one person = a brigade?

"I'm blaming Cousins for the Redskins being mediocre" brigade."

You do much better when you stick with facts and stop trying to dismiss other posters with straw man arguments and broad brush strokes.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. westiedog1

That's a good analysis of the situation. Nevertheless, you haven't taken into account the many public pronouncements coming from the FO about rebuilding the Jets "the right way, through the draft." We also have to take into consideration Macc's many statements about how he would explore all options. So none of us really know what will transpire. You're entitled to put your money wherever you wish, but I'm not a gambling person, I can only hope they choose option B. But if they choose option A, I will continue to support the team and hope for the best that Cousins can give.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. nicg4360

Let's be honest I think even the pro-cousins Crowd would actually be overjoyed to pick a QB at 6 that would turn this franchise around for years to come. I want cousins but would change my tune if it appeared one of either Mayfield or Allen was a lock to do it. They aren't. We know that Darnold and Rosen will not be available so we are basing the savior being Allen/Mayfield. Allen's accuracy is not what you want from a starter and Mayfield is not what Mac's likely to go after.
    So you have to narrow this down... When we are talking the top 4 QBs it's really Allen. Then you go one step further do you want to give the keys to the franchise to Josh Allen who some compare his accuracy to our very own Christian Hackenberg or one of the most accurate QBs in the league being Kirk Cousins.
    Things can change but when you break it down it really looks like that is what's playing out here as Allen will likely be the one to drop to the Jets. I sure as hell would be wanting Cousins at this point... hopefully the combine will change things.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

This is really the best argument FOR signing Cousins.

As much as I really want to draft the FQB that will enable the Jets to become a dynasty or 10+ years, given they screwed up their draft position, and the fact that a proven QB like Cousins is available, and that there is no P. Manning (I honestly never thought Luck was a slam dunk) coming out this year, singing Cousins is the most sensible plan.

nicg4360 and James Hasty like this.
  12. nicg4360

This was just what I feel the Jets themselves are thinking....not myself. Even if I prefer cousins AT THIS TIME...I am not opposed to bringing in the rookie either.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The downside of signing Cousins is that we end up overpaying for an average QB. Considering that it has been a decade since we had an average QB this outcome does not sound so bad to me.

The downside of swinging and missing at the top of the draft could be looking back to the good old days when we could hope to go 5-11.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd love to sign Cousins AND draft a QB like Falk.
    QB class is not great at the top imo, but it is deep with prospects, so there is a good chance to find value after round 1.

ColoradoContrails and nicg4360 like this.
  15. nicg4360

Very much on board with something like this.
    There are several QBs that have very good qualities that could use some time to watch and learn. They likely could be had in the third and fourth rounds.

#2255 nicg4360, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  16. westiedog1

Why can't the Jets move up, if they like one of the non-Allen QBs? The Eagles, Rams, Bears, Texans, Chiefs all moved up within the last 2 years. Seems to me those were all the right moves for those franchises.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Everyone's goal is the same: Win the Super Bowl. Everyone would also love to be the #1 seed, draft a franchise QB, have the best Head Coach, Have the #1 overall Defense, have a couple stars who are the face of not just the Jets, but the NFL, and then continue to build on that with a few more Super Bowls, creating a dynasty. However, one step at a time. This team hasn't made the playoffs since the 2010 season.

FJF likes this.
  18. nicg4360

No chance the Browns are going to give up on having there choice of QBs at 1 and it will be Darnold. The no longer have an incompetent GM who always trades away opportunities to draft premium QBs. The Giants have a very rare opportunity to draft the heir to Eli. They won't give that up. There is also the Broncos...if they don't get Cousins it will be a QB.
    I guess in the end anyone who doesn't want Cousins needs to hope to whole hell either the Broncos sign Cousins (won't happen) or the Browns (more likely but not going to happen). That way they may. No chance otherwise.
    Look at it another way. If you are the Browns or say the Giant's. You need a QB. You have the pick to choose a FQB. Why the hell would you trade it no matter the amount someone offers you.
    Would you really want to pull a Mike Ditka and trade every pick you have like with Ricky Williams?
    There is about zero chance that's in Mac's mind because that's what those teams will be asking.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Your Words .....
    I can go back through this thread and find a dozen more direct Quotes.
    It's a forum. Your the first person on here to jump in a thread , "totally disagree" and go an a rant. I'm just pointing out why it's pointless presenting a valid argument when your mind is made up for reasons other than the actual topic.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. westiedog1

It's amazing how you know exactly what every GM in the league is thinking 2 months before the draft. I should consult you on the stock market! I posted this on another thread but I will repeat here.

1. I don't think it's a slam dunk the Browns are thinking QB with the first pick. They may think they already have their guy in Kizer. Okay, he didn't win any games, but he came damn close in many, and didn't play all that bad. He got valuable game experience playing in 15 games. If they draft Darnold they have to go through another rookie learning season with the possibility that Kizer may be ready to burst out like Goff and Eli did their second years. If they were to trade with Jets, they would then have the 4th (could still get a pretty good QB), 6th (also could get a pretty good QB) and most likely the Jets two second round choices (in addition to their own) and possibly the Jets #1 next year or some combo thereof.. That would be awfully tempting to a GM trying to build a winning franchise. It would be a different story if Kizer completely S&*t the bed, but he didn't.

2. I don't think it's a slam dunk the Giants are going to draft a QB either. They may think they may have a good shot at a championship staying with Eli for a few more years. In that case, they may be willing to trade down for more picks to concentrate on other areas of need. Of course, I doubt they would trade with the Jets but it's possible QB is not in their target this year and if they stay at 2, a pick such as Barkely is possible.

3. Finally, no, I would not trade "every pick" I had (which would not be the case to move up) for a Ricky Williams, but I would for a Carson Wentz.

#2260 westiedog1, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018