Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Nobody's blaming Kirk Cousins for the Redskins woes. Not by any stretch. But when you are looking at this pivotal of a decision for a franchise as well as the significant amount of salary potentially at stake you have to evaluate every single aspect of a QB's body work of work,on field talents & profile w. some degree of skepticism. Simply put, in a 3 year body of work w. the kind of stats he's put up, you'd like to see the W-L correlate. In the instance, that wasn't the case

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maybe not you, but there is absolutely someone here that is blaming the mediocre Redskins records on Kirk Cousins. I won't tag him because then he'll get all rattled but, the person exists.

And I agree with how you should assess him. I think if you look at extenuating circumstances, the overall records have more to do with other things than the QB. I personally think without Cousins, they win 4 games this year and the stats posted on the previous page about Cousins leading game-winning drives supports that. To me, his one year of dragging a terrible offense to mediocrity says just as much, if not more than his 2015 year which he was fantastic, but the team finished 9-7. That's where you start looking at the defense (which was awful), but that's also what made another poster have a total meltdown so I won't get into that.

TonyFtLaud, FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Well documented.
    The logical & only thing the haters have to beef about is cost to sign Cousins. There are much more positives to signing Cousins then drafting a QB & Your not going to get something for nothing, not to mention in a year 30mil will look like peanuts for a Qb. We have the cap space to make it work, and plenty to spare. Money has no value until it is spent. Large cap space isn't going to get you closer to SB, i am not saying to go out and spend the cap space for the sake of spending, just spend it wisely. Cousins=wisely

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

referring to all state taxes, not just income.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

more then 1. i have had at least 2 people that keep using that argument

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Look, I get the logic behind signing Cousins. He is by no means bad and becomes the best QB the Jets have had since Pennington. But, is this team really a Kirk Cousins away from becoming a playoff contender? Or do they need a year or 2 of hitting a few home runs in the draft(Mac needs to come through) and the young talent talent on the roster still needing to improve before the window really opens? Is it better to draft a QB and develop him to possibly be our guy for 10+ years or is it better to sign Cousins to be the guy for 5 years? I know developing a QB hasn't been something the Jets have been known for during their history, but maybe if we had a proven QB coach, it would be promising.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good post! I would say to you the Jets went (5-11) with Josh McCown at QB for basically 12 games and Bryce Petty for 4. That includes blowing 4th Quarter leads against Miami, Atlanta, Carolina, and a putrid performance in Tampa. So you could realistically say the Jets can be a playoff team by adding Cousins. We know the team will add other pieces too, plus the young guys on the roster will continue to gain experience.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Fair points. I also wonder if Kirk wants to go to a team that's built to win now like the Vikings or Jaguars, but I guess the Jags are stuck with Bortles. If we do sign Cousins and Mac has a 2017 Saints like draft this year, we might be a contender that gives NE a run for it's money for the division crown. :D

#2228 CotcheryFan, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have said if I was Kirk I would go to Minnesota or Jacksonville. I would pick the Jets over Denver though. I originally thought the Broncos were a better option, but now I don't think so for the long haul. And yeah, it is not too far fetched to compete with the Patriots in 2018 if Mac makes great moves. The NFL is much closer than people realize. Having said that, Mac has a lot of work to do!

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Signing a franchise QB is by far the better route , but will the 3rd or 4th best QB in this draft be as good as Cousins in 2 -3 years or ever?
    The Jets absolutely have to address the QB position this year. Cousins not only does that but gives the Jets the flexibility to draft a QB later in the draft,or in the next draft. They will not be forced to settle for what's left, nor will they have to give up multiple draft picks for a QB with under a 50% chance of becoming as good as Cousin's.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that QBs of Cousins' caliber don't typically hit the open market. There is a reason people are excited about the possibility. Most teams don't let their franchise QBs go, but I still maintain that the redskins are a joke and Cousins does not want to be there because of the 2 franchise tags in a row crap. Don't forget they traded the farm to get RG3 in the draft and he busted out after 2 seasons. This hurt the team's depth for a while and then they couldn't get any good FA targets for Cousins aside from Desean Jackson, who was declining at the time.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe that's how your mind works, but it certainly isn't the way mine works, and I doubt it is with many other posters.

With Cousins we've seen what he's capable of, and those of us who don't want him don't think he's good enough to get us to the promised land (i.e., he's good, but not great, and doesn't make the players around him better). With rookie QBs, there is at least a chance of greatness, especially when some of them have made their teammates better in college and shown potential for greatness.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

It makes total sense if one isn't impatient and desperate, and delusional about the Jets chances of getting to and winning a SB with Cousins.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

You're right that probably most agree with you. That doesn't matter to me. I've never been one to go along with the crowd. I have higher standards for myself, for others, and for life than most people. I'm not willing to settle. I want the best out of life. The only way one gets the best is to strive for it, and refuse to settle for anything less. One still may not get "the best," but one will usually get much better than one would have otherwise.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Good Lord guy, it’s football not the pursuit of happiness.

16. NCJetsfan

Utter BS! That shows that you have your own agenda, i.e. to discredit my opinion and my posts. You don't know me at all. I would always much rather be wrong and the Jets be right. The problem is that more often than not over the years, I have been right and the Jets have been dead wrong.

KurtTheJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I disagree. The draft is how teams should build their rosters. FA should be the "contingency plan" if things don't work out in the draft.

With things working in that order, it could keep FA contracts lower, but then again, it could make their contracts bigger. For instance, with the way things are, teams probably set a limit of what they're willing to pay for a FA because they know that if they fail to fill a need in FA that they possibly can fill it in the draft. If FA and the draft were reversed and teams failed to fill needs in the draft, then more teams could be bidding for a FA's services and drive the price of his contract up. In the case of Cousins, for those teams who need a QB and failed to get one in the draft, they probably would all be clamoring for Cousins and be willing to pay as much as they could under the cap to get him.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Great post. This is the fact that the pro-Cousin crowd conveniently ignores and chooses not to address. That's because at heart, they know they're wrong, or are delusional.

19. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

That last part probably means it's a given that cousins will be a jet unfortunately for you.

20. NCJetsfan

That wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact, it's what I expect to happen, and the QB or QBs that the Jets pass on will go on to become great QBs.

KurtTheJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.