Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well Rodgers might be the most talented QB to ever play the game. My point is that, running QBs, pocket QBs, injuries are injuries. Its up to the player to adapt to the league at the end of the day. The running QB excuse is rather old because if you watched his games this year, you would see his ability to be patient in the pocket no matter who he plays. Lamar still has a ways to go just like everyone else, but he's much further along then Josh Allen. Jackson has more responsibility at the LOS then Watson at Clemson.

Again, I really encourage people to watch more of this guy play and not just the youtube highlights. I see a special QB in the making. Matt Miller and some draft "experts" are finally catching up. Check the above tweets. I was saying that stuff about Jackson months ago. The last time, I thought a player at the QB position could be this special was Derek Carr. We have a very special class, 3 guys ... Rosen Darnold and Jackson, they can be stars with the Jets.

Getting a lesser QB in Mayfield is a waste of time. Let New Orleans have him.

joe and FJF like this.
  2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

TCU ended the year ranked 35 yes. They were ranked 6th when they played Oklahoma for the first time. I will read that link but the quality of teams being played really cannot be compared. Wake Forest, Syracuse, Purdue, Kent State, Murray State........

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I hope you're right.

I religiously watch ACC football. Jackson's campaign last season was way more impressive than this recent one. I was watching live when he flipped over the Syracuse defender... =O

Obviously his athleticism is unparalleled. I am super excited for the combine. I will let you know what I think after the QBs day.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am looking forward to seeing some improvements in Jackson's lower body mechanics when he throws at the combine. Nothing needs to change in terms of how he throws the football, just cleanups on the lower body. Hopefully he's a little more polished. By the start of the season, you also want to see him maybe gain about 5 to 10 pounds of muscle.

GQMartin likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Former No. 1 overall draft pick Mike Vick doubled down on comparisons between himself and former Louisville QB Lamar Jackson Thursday, calling Jackson "the spitting image" of himself on the Move The Sticks Podcast, Chase Goodbread of NFL.com reports.

Vick was referring to Jackson's play against Florida State in 2016, one of the most impressive performances of his brilliant college career. Jackson rushed for 146 yards and four touchdowns that night, and passed for 210 with another score, as Louisville romped over the Seminoles, 63-20.

"I could not believe what I had seen. I could not believe the things he was able to do -- It was a spitting image of me," Vick said. "And the only thing that came to my mind was this kid is five times better than I was when I was at Virginia Tech, only because he was going against Florida State. I remember how difficult it was for me to make plays against Florida State. What effort had to be put into getting first downs, scoring touchdowns."

Jackson won the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore and accounted for 119 touchdowns (69 passing, 50 rushing) over three seasons. As a college player, Vick didn't post anywhere near the production that Jackson did at UL, but his electrifying athleticism compelled the Atlanta Falcons to draft him No. 1 overall in 2001.

"He's a quarterback. I've been hearing about things about him playing receiver, they'll probably say he needs to play defensive back next," Vick said. "But listen, the kid is 6-3, 215 pounds. But for anybody to say Lamar Jackson is a receiver, I don't think they understand the quarterback position. I don't think they appreciate the value that could be [brought] from the quarterback position. If I was the GM, I would draft him. Whether it's first round or fourth round, you look at all the quarterbacks coming out of the draft, they're all projects. Nobody is guaranteed to do anything."

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think he is a better passer at this point then Vick was.
    Draft this beast(if we don’t get cousins)

7. GasedAndConfused

I agree. vick took a few years to really learn how to be a passer but got by with his legs. I think jackson already knows how to be a passer

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Vick didn’t become a passer until he got to Andy Reid. He had success in that heavy run offense with Dunn and Tj duckett. Dubbed dvd. There were a lot of air mailed passes in Atlanta though. I think we would be ok with Lamar, we’d be passing up some talent if we took him at 6 but if he turns out to be as good as I think he can we could live with it

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

we could slide back though and get extra picks

10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lamar jackson has the highest ceiling of any qb prospect ive ever seen

FJF likes this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

hide the dogs.....

Leicester Jet and abc like this.
  12. abc

abc Well-Known Member

A scat back playing the QB position, no thanks... I'll take Mayfield @ #6.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

an undersized QB with limited talent and arm strength issues? no thanks i'll pass.

rosen = more talented manziel
    allen = more taltented hackenburg
    mayfield = less talented pennington

14. abc

abc Well-Known Member

You Obviously don't have a clue of what you're talking about... Wins & Stats Prove You Wrong.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

lol ok buddy

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think Jackson and Allen are the biggest boom or bust prospects I’ve seen in a long time. Highest ceiling goes still to Dan Marino when he was coming out.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Marino was the truth, but he didn’t even have the highest ceiling in his draft class, let alone all time

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as really think that he is a great passer than Vick was. But how he can last in the NFL? College is not like the NFL. In a sense Marino got the last laugh over in the draft of 1983.

19. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I’m sure that everyone here has seen this SBN breakdown of Jackson’s mechanics, but just in case, here’s the link:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/16928908/lamar-jackson-quarterback-wide-receiver

It’s done by a QB coach and the gifs really help. (The tricep extension analogy is, IMO, an excellent analogy and really helped my understanding.) The coach’s opinion is that Jackson has a lot of upside, but needs refinement — not different from many of the QBs in this class. Also, worth noting that Jackson isn’t the coach’s favorite QB this year.

In any event, the link better explains those who like Jackson’s potential. (Whether the Jets have a coaching staff that can develop that ability, well, that’s another story....)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Nah he had the all time biggest ceiling... Elway only got the hype that year because he looked like boy wonder at Stanford and threatened to go to the Yankees.

Marino had a so so final season at Pitt but all the tools were there to be the best QB of all time. He had the release, the velocity, the size, the frame and most importantly the football IQ. To be honest if he won a Super Bowl he would have been regarded as the best of all time.