Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2011, Giants did what they had to do to win it (beat and effectively ended our season in the process), they had a QB that wasn't really elite then either, but had a ton of 4th QTR comebacks.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We've had people make up quotes from other posters.
    We've had people make up teammates that Cousins never played with.
    We've had people annoint players that have never played a down in the NFL "franchise players".

But now we've had someone say if Cousins was our QB, a Super Bowl win would be "luck" and he would rather not even win.

This is it. The end of the thread. It can't get any lower.

JohnnyP123456, stinkyB and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Fix the O-Line, and draft Mayfield. Then, and this is a novel thought, DEVELOP him...

NCJetsfan and Catfish Billy like this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It makes NO SENSE. We have a proven QB sitting there who is a top 10 QB in this league as it stands, and he isnt 45 years old. Yet here we are, saying no thanks, I'd rather draft a rookie QB and hope he turns out to be as good at Kirk and maybe he'll be Arod. The logic is flawed.

Now, if we don't land Cousins OF COURSE let's draft a QB. I'm not saying we shouldn't. But Kirk is and should be Plan A.

5. 101GangGreen101

Mayfield's ceiling will probably be what Cousins is now. 4000 yard passer, 25-30 TDs. You gonna wait 3 or 4 years for that to MAYBE happen?

I'll take Cousins right now for the next 5 years.

TonyFtLaud and onefanjet like this.
  6. TurkJetFan

Kirk Cousins has thrown for at least 4,000 yards in each of the last 3 years, and 2 years ago tossed nearly 5,000 yards. He has never thrown more than 13 INTs and never less than 25 TDs. His completion percentage has never been lower than 64% and nearly was 70% as a high. And here Jets fans are. Saying NO THANKS. Let's draft someone who we hope can do the same thing.

Not to mention his stats last year are even more impressive, considering his WR's utterly sucked and Jordan Reed was out most of the year.

You have GOT to be freaking kidding me guys.

Sam Hammer, TonyFtLaud and nicg4360 like this.
  7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of dumb shit posted on these forums but saying you’d rather not see the Jets win a SB than “luck” into a SB makes even the dumbest of dumb look intelligent.

8. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, you def try and get Cousins first and if it doesn't work go for the QBs, plan B. Perhaps you still draft one late, because with Cousins you are establishing an offensive philosophy, this in time could really help the FO find what they really need in a QB. There's too many upsides to that acquisition.

TurkJetFan likes this.
  9. TurkJetFan

Agreed!!!!! It's really a no brainer. And we are for once in a position with the cap and need to have tons of quality options for a major pain point we've had for years. In fact we haven't felt somewhat secure at QB since freaking Chad Pennington almost 20 years ago. I do agree even if we sign Cousins, we should draft a QB mid to late rounds, dump Hackenshit, and move forward as a franchise.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Cousins stabilizes the most important position in all of sports for at minimum the next 3-5 years. It allows you to select his replacement when the opportunity presents itself and doesn’t force you to take a QB when it doesn’t. It also allows you the opportunity to groom a QB correctly.

The only argument against Cousins is his salary and that is a valid concern but thankfully the Jets are in a spot financially that they can make his salary work now and for the next couple years with hamstringing them too much.

TonyFtLaud and TurkJetFan like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

Yeah Hacks time is up ... Kyle Lauletta seems to be the hot late round prospect as of late. He had a solid senior bowl.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Saying things like you would rather not win a Super Bowl than luck into one, now dubbed "the dumbest thing ever said on TGG", is just more proof that this fanbase will never ever be happy. I mean there's someone here who would actually complain about winning a Super Bowl if we won it as a 9-7 Wildcard team that got some breaks along the way. How the hell can you expect people to be happy with the QB choice when they can't even be happy with a SUPER BOWL RING?

13. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I don't think Eagles fans minded winning their lucky Super Bowl. Ditto with Giants fans in 2007 and you could argue, 2011. Ditto with another handful of teams who have been lucky along the way to their championship(s).

I wouldn't care if Quincy Carter came out of retirement to be our 3rd string QB and the top 2 QB's broke their legs in Week 17 and he carried us to a lucky Super Bowl win. A win is a win is a win.

TonyFtLaud, GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes in the heat of an argument we say things that we realize could have been said better with a different choice of words. I believe what NCJetsfan means to say, and what I also believe, is that Cousins, while undoubtedly a good QB, is not a great one and as a 30 year old, having a clear resume of his work in DC, is not likely to be a great one. Can he win a SB? Of course he can, with a perfect storm of health, talent and a little luck (all SB teams need a bit of luck.) However, if you compare Cousins record to the greats such as Favre, Manning, Rodgers and Brady, what stands out is season after season of winning records despite talent moves, injuries to teammates and coaching changes, and of course, SB victories as well. In this year's draft there are a number of prospective QBs that I believe can achieve the greatness of those mentioned and the Jets are in an excellent position to acquire one. As a fan, I would prefer the Jets take a shot at "greatness" than settle for "good."

alleycat9 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol so hypothetically if we made the playoffs we'd have no chance? i'm pretty sure everyone said philly had no chance when wentz went down, sure didn't stop them.
    it was a hypothetical situation in which petty was as good as cousins. jimmy g just got paid that much based off 5 games where he was just ok.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

they got hot at the right time. thir 32nd ranked defense played lights in out in the playoffs. good gameplan, a few players really stepped up, and some lucky catches

17. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

How does anyone know what a player's ceiling is, especially with the intangibles of o-line, a solid running game, a full complement of TE's and receivers, and dare I hope for, a solid O-coordinater/QB coach, plan/strategy

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thank you for posting this. I’m not allowed to respond to him and that one was eating me up

19. GasedAndConfused

doens't matter, he won't read it or give a decent response anyway.

20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well... I can answer that for sure. Its called the "blank slate" phenomenon. Each one of us pictures whichever one of their favorite soon to be rookie QB's (who by the way likely won't even be available with the Jets actual #6 pick) and then we picture whichever our favorite one is doing magical things.

When you introduce that crappy thing called reality into the picture, and push the rainbows and unicorns out of the way, every one of these rookie QBs would be damn lucky to actually accomplish what Cousins has in this league statistically once they actually get onto the field for real.

HomeoftheJets, nicg4360 and FJF like this.