Jets start dumping players

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 19, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right...he should have been fired after the 2016 season. Every game he remains is a game wasted in their quest to win a SB.

Mahomes was ABSOLUTELY the right pick at 6. He was better than anything the Jets had on the roster, and they would be farther along than they are, not agonizing over whether they should make a slightly above average QB the richest one in history, or which drafted QB to take a chance on.

nicg4360 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Some players don't improve at all. I saw a lot of good things from Lee last season. As the season progressed, the entire unit improved. For example watch the Saints game.

Jets lost that game cause of Petty, a qb a lot of people here loved. At the end of the day, you can blame Bowles for whatever you want, but the true indictment is on Mac for providing a crappy roster in terms of the offensive line and qb position. Just more Bowles bashing and little Mac bashing. Both haven't done a great job, but I blame Mac more EASILY.

I guess when we get Cousins it'll shift to the Mac hating. That's how this board goes.

#102 101GangGreen101, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He should have been fired after a 10 win season? With a roster loaded with vets who either lost it or were injured? You think it's a good way to turn a program around to just start over, running different systems every 2 years? Don't let a HC develop? Make the job as unattractive as possible to the next HC possibility.

That Mahomes may be better than what we have on our roster at QB, maybe-who knows, doesn't make him the right pick at 6. Not one single person, outside of fans on a forum who at one time or another will talk about 100 or so great possible picks at their spot, had Mahomes at 6. Up until the combine no one had him in the 1st round. Typical fan love affair with a QB because he has a big arm. Same way day too many people actually thought that Petty has a chance. Couldn't see past the big arm and realize he had absolutely 0 talent and ability at QB. You would have loved Browning Nagle

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If we had drafted Mahomes at #6 last year, this place would've lost it's collective mind, which would've made it a great pick.

TonyFtLaud, LAJet and Sam Hammer like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct. It merely increases the chance of getting lucky. If a guy that can't shoot well, shoots once his chance of hitting the target is almost nil. If he shoots a thousand times he might get lucky and hit it. :p

6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Mahomes hasn't proved anything yet in the NFL yet. He could still easily be a bust. At least give him a season as starter before proclaiming him the next franchise QB and complaining about the Jets not picking him.

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with picking Jamal Adams at 6 last year knowing we would have a solid chance to draft a QB this year...and even if we have to trade one of those 2nd round picks to move up for our QB it wont be that bad because we'll have another 2nd we just gotta nail the pick...

I'm really torn on signing kirk cousins though..he's still just above average... slightly. I really want Rosen or Baker.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

2016 season was 5-11, and yes he absolutely deserved to be fired - as he still does. He shows no real improvement in game management; the defense - the "crown jewels" of this team forever - is still less than adequate, and he hasn't developed the offense at all. Please don't tell me he isn't in charge of the offense - hes the damn HEAD Coach, and must take responsibility for it ALL. If he can't, he isn't head coaching material, and that's why I say he should be let go.

And don't put words in my mouth. I never said it was a good way to start over every two years, but you don't turn things around with the wrong people in charge and you need to be smart enough to realize you made a mistake, not keep doing the same things over and over again believing that sheer persistence will make it right.

Mahomes hasn't fully proven himself yet, but he's shown more than Petty and Hack combined, and has a FAR higher ceiling than a 38 year old journeyman. And if he actually does live up to what I believe he can do, the Jets will regret not having stolen him at #6. He doesn't just have a big arm...he has a big arm, and it's accurate, and he has a feel for the game and knows how to make plays. If he was as much a question mark as you'd like to believe I doubt Andy Reid would've traded up to get him and then let Alex Smith go, who BTW, just replaced the current "Messiah of the Jets", Cousins.

As for "making the job unattractive" to the next candidate, how much more unattractive can it get, with an organization that has a decades long history of screwing things up? The one thing the Jets do have, that even Hess and Woody couldn't screw up is that they play in the media capital of the world and if you succeed here you write your own ticket to Canton.

This organization still doesn't have a cohesive blueprint beyond trying to build an impregnable defense in the face of an offense-dominated league, and BPA-D on draft day. I's ridiculous that multiple teams have come into the NFL even decades after the Jets who have won championships, while the Jets continue to stumble along.

9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Some people around here act like he's actually done something in the NFL already. It's not like he showed something on the field like Watson did for Houston. All Patty has "done" is get a vote of confidence from the Chiefs, who traded away Alex Smith. Who knows if he's anything great yet...he has a strong arm but that doesn't guarantee he's a franchise quarterback. He could be a turnover machine bust who forces a lot of bad throws.

LF911SC and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

A. He's done more than any of the current group of draftees.
    B. He did enough to warrant Reid to trade up to get him and trade away a very good QB, one who Washington thinks is better than the "Messiah of the Jets", Kirk Cousins.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I should know better than to click right to end of a thread entitled 'Jets start dumping players' and expect to see any posts about... the Jets dumping players.

12. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Many felt the same way about Geno and Petty's highlight can make you feel the same as well. Drafting Adams was meant to be, cant have regrets. That's like having a family and wishing you married another man's wife because your marriage may be having some issues and thier marriage seems blissful.
    On the outside looking in she may seem like the perfect fit for you...but it doesnt mean that you are the perfect fit for her.
    Be happy with your decision...cultivate it and help it grow.
    The NFL is a much greater level of competition. Regardless of how Mahomes plays it doesnt mean he would have played the same way in the Jets' system. Coaching, scheme, and play calling all play a part.

13. LF911SC

Mahomes has done nothing. He's done more than no one. Playing one game for a playoff team resting starters isn't an achievement that guarantees stardom. He played, one game, fine. So have countless others only to go on and fail. But hey, Andy Reid likes him. Question, other than McNabb, who that Reid has drafted turned into anything? And there have been enough to get a read on his eye for QBs.

You're too funny. You call Alex Smith, the ultimate game managing loser a very good QB and ridicule Cousins who is better in every way and younger.

TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The trouble is that we shouldn't have had to move up to get our QB - we blew the tank.

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im still puking that we took Lee and then 6 picks later Denver traded up for Lynch,,,,,,time will tell if Lynch is the real deal but I trust Elway n Denver way more than Mac or anyone in the Jets organization and people can talk up Lee all they want but its year 3 coming up and if this guy does not show dramatic improvement this year ----yep a bust I will call him

16. LF911SC

The problem is that fans think if you tank you get a star and it was worth the trouble. Or that NFL players really want to play for a team that sets up to tank.

17. LF911SC

So Macc is still looking for a QB, can't be trusted like Elway, who you trust? The same Elway who brought in Osweiler, twice, drafted Seimean, brought in Sanchez and traded up for Lynch and still needs a QB? This is who you believe in? Lee is a starter, Lynch is a monumental bust.

Skicats, TonyFtLaud and BudJet like this.
  18. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

C. I trust Reid to develop a raw QB. I don't trust Bowles & company to do the same.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

U really want to compare the entire Jets team to Elway Broncos ? Lee might be a starter for US that in itself is sad

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I don't believe there was ever a plan to tank. Seems like the plan was to see who could and should stick around during this rebuild to get us where we need to be. Building a new culture and lots of chemistry amongst the youth we have as the puzzles fall in to place. That's why Mac and Bowles each got contract extensions. The organization believes in what they are attempting to accomplish.

Skicats and FJF like this.