Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade up for a RB. I figure if we land Cousins, either Barkley or one of the QBs will be available at 6. So we grab Barkley or a 2019 first rounder plus additional picks by trading down with a team like the Bills.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yup, we end the civil war and break out into tribal conflicts until we are once again brought back together by the common enemy know as bust first round pick.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Scary how accurate the comparison is.

"We need a change!" (draft instead of spend)
    *change happens*
    *change is worse*
    "We need to go another direction!"

4. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I take your point but I’d rather be in the position of Mahomes in KC than say Baker coming to the Jets at the moment. An extreme example but look at what lack of talent around him (particularly OL) has done for Andrew Luck.

I just feel in a rebuild, with so many gaps to fill you are better doing that round someone like Cousins than a rookie - none of this class is the next Peyton Manning by the way

5. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Trading up for Barkley in a deep RB class makes no sense - Jets have many more desperate needs with that pick.

BudJet and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The more I read about all the different view points on this thread and mock drafts by the NFL "Experts" the more I'm convinced there is no one clear strategy path that has the best likelihood of success. Those against Cousins are certainly not unified as to who is worth the 6 pick or better instead and why. Most in favor of Cousins are essentially dismissing all of them. Seems very unlikely to me Mac would mortgage the farm for Cousins and then get a QB with the 6ths pick. But nothing is impossible.
    In my simple mind I would hope that Jets strategy of draft versus a vet addresses the following questions with a precise expectation of outcome. May be I'm naive as hell but what the hell.
    1- is Cousins a better long term FQB solution and eventual SB leader than the options at QB on this draft?
    If no then
    2- Do I roll into the draft with Josh as my only vet or do I go into free agency and get a better choice
    3- Which are the QB in the draft worth the 6th
    4- Which QBs in this draft truly worth moving up for and what is the trade value that would make sense for the long run?
    If the answer to 1 is yes then
    1- what are the long term ramifications of paying premium $$$ and how do I continue to build a team
    thru the draft and free agency to become a winner

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Define "inferior". If you take a raw rookie who has tremendous - unproven - ability and put him in a competition with a vet with lesser ability but more experience and he "loses" is the rookie really inferior? What if you ignore the initial gap between them and play the rookie and he gains the experience coupling that with his given ability? Now who's "inferior"?

That's the problem I have with Bowles. We can see that Hack and Petty both performed poorly. But what if more time and coaching had been invested in them? What if a scheme/offense built to their strengths were employed? Neither of these happened. Now it may well be that Hack and Petty still would've failed, but we don't know. And I blame Macc in this too since he drafted both, then refused to draft anyone better last year knowing they were both questionable.

No we don't know for sure that Bowles wouldn't play a talented rookie, but we don't know he will either.

8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

One point to consider is if we Draft a Qb then we will in all liklihood be paying 7 mil to McCown also,
    So you can subtract that 7 mil from the books by signing cousins & you can clear a roster spot also.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I know the deal with who you are sparring with Dean...my advice ..put this fool on IGNORE

Works like a charm for me lol

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

True. You get to say dumb things and not have to worry about at least one of us calling you out for it!

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you know what the irony of your whole post and outlook is?

lets say you are 100% right in everything you say. lets say bowles played we'll use petty for the hell of it and our staff did everything 100% right, we tailored everything around petty and built him up and he had success. he beat mccown in the competition, he threw for 25TDs and 15INTs and 4k yards. lets say we even won like 7 or 8 games. he isn't the best QB but he's a borderline top 10QB that can win with some help.

no where does that leave us? well pretty simple, petty is in a contract year, meaning that this year we have a lower pick and next year we'd have to pay him MORE then what cousins is going to get this year because that's how the market works. so essentially it would be the same as us signing cousins in your perfect scenerio but yet, you are against signing cousins. or would you let petty walk and do it over and over because you never want to pay a QB decent money?

FJF likes this.
  12. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

No one mentioned sign McCown and draft Mayfield?

13. NYJetsO12

Well said..no balloons no champagne just lots of disappointed misguided fans on an internet fan board who suddenly realize that Capt Kirk has a brain in his head...and all the pleadings from the Jet FO can't convince him he can "win now" with some broken down wreck of a team at least 2 years away from contending for ANYTHING

Will a 60 million dollar carrot do the Trick???.. If it does then KC has been a money hunger LIAR all along and the "homework for each team" went out the window

Jets in for a good screwing ha..

playtowinthegame likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

I did ..long whiles back ..PERFECT MOVE IMO..

Too many guys with hard ons for a phony QB who will stack up 4000 more yards between the goalposts..nothing more

15. GasedAndConfused

it's been mentioned like 100 times

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

HUH?

First, if Bowles & Co. actually did what you say, it would show that they're actually capable of coaching up talent, so in this scenario, I would probably lean towards keeping Petty on and hoping he continues to improve - the same way you and the Cousin cousins hope he improves (or do you think he needs no improvement?), and I would look to draft another QB. I don't see where Petty would command a salary equal to or greater than Cousins based on one 7 or 8 win season.

Where did I say that I never want to pay a QB - or ANY player - decent money? That's just a cheap strawman argument. If we land the FQB we've been seeking for decades, pay him a king's ransom! But there is no guarantee that Cousins is that guy. Could he be? Sure, and I've acknowledged that many times. I just don't think his ceiling is as high as Rosen or Darnold or Mayfield.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

if you don't take what cousins has done over the past 3 years and consider it FQB material, then by your standards there are only 2 or 3 FQBs in the NFL. it doens't matter what you think his ceiling his. it's nothing more then a guess. even professional scouts guess wrong on people's ceilings. so you want a billion dollar franchise with a huge scouting department that gets paid millions a year to trust the instincts of a fan on a forum about how good a guy can be? If you were mac getting fed info from the scouting department you might change your tune. you don't think these guys are watching a shit ton of cousins film over the past 3 years right now? and dissecting the shit out of it?

you also blame bowles for things out of his control. it's not his job to improve players if you want to hate on the lack of development at the QB position and say it's not hack or pettys fault, then blame the QB coach since that's his job, but then again we just promoted him to OC.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tagging this if Jets sign Cousins

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

sometimes a player is just flat out bad, that can happen too. Mac fell in love with Hack in the 2nd round. Bad gamble, Mac loved watching him in shorts and a t shirt.

Will Mac burn us again if we dont get Cousins? People hate on Bowles, but 2 career years out of 2 journey men doesn't happen often.

All Gas No Shake, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

i fully agree with that i was just replying to someone who seemed to think that the reason our QBs suck is because of bowles and not the real reason which was picking the wrong players

101GangGreen101 likes this.