Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Realistically it's Mayfield. There are a lot of question marks about Mayfield. Could easily be a bust. We could also end up a worst-case scenario where the Browns take Darnold, the Giants take Rosen, and the Broncos take Mayfield. Then it's Allen or nobody.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Wins, not throw costly ints in crunch time, prime time wins and consistently. Its easy to pad stats like hes done but obviously they havent amounted to much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

well, they did contribute to the qb play ;)

i'm out zace, i think we hit a stand still. 21 days and we can argue about what to do with the 6th pick.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I actually think hes either the best or second best qb in this draft. Hes better than Darnold thats for sure. Watch him play, truly watch him play. He has great football instincts and sees well. He just has to work om his arm strength and throwing with timing at the NFL level. If he can do that and adjust to the speed, hes good.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Lol i still respect you even tho we disagree. At least you support your position with solid facts consistently.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Do you think it’s weird that he’s been liking my posts that you claim are BS?

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Do you think its weird you didn't answer my question after you talked yourself into a corner?

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Problem is I think Mayfield lights up the combine. I don’t think he makes it to 6th.

9. BroadwayAaron

Find me a question I haven’t answered. You’re confusing “didn’t answer” with “I didn’t like the answer”.

TonyFtLaud and GasedAndConfused like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they offered him to be the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL last offseason (behind stafford) and he turned it down. they also tagged him twice. making up lies to prove a point gets you nowhere.

and because of that, they lost to the jags despite ben playing great. he lost to a poor QB in bortles. again further proof you can't blame the QB for the team's overall sucess. Ben also cost them the game against jax in the regular season throwing 5 INTS. 1 bad game doens't make a bad QB. Ben still has the best skill players around him in the NFL. again he has the best RB and best WR in the NFL on his team and has had that benefit for 3+ years. you ding cousins for having medicore past their prime WRs with d-jax and garcon, but ignore the talent ben has around him. this is why you are making a very weak argument

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

If it weren't for ben, they woulda been blown out. Cousins doesnt even come close to performing on that situation.

They offered him a bullshit contract. It had every way for them to get out of paying him should he underperform.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...-53-million-but-he-prefers-franchise-tag/amp/

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Dont play dumb you know what i asked. Youre just not answering.

Edit, i guess it didnt post my bad.

Anyway i said if you said that Cousins couldnt overcome washingtons deficiencies, why do you think he will here in a similar situation to the one hes leaving in regards of talent?

13. BroadwayAaron

What question? I’m serious. Unless you mean you asking why he’d be successful here. And that’s been answered about twenty times by ten different people but either way...

His team last year was shit. Pryor was a bust. Reed was hurt (shocker). His best receiver was an RB. He had a patchwork OL. Despite that he put up some solid numbers and dragged them to mediocrity. You can’t tell me that team would have won 7 games with the likes of Alex Smith. If you ARE going to tell me they would have them I dunno if we can even have that convo.

When you have $70 million to spend and some nice high draft picks, you assume that the team is going to be able to put some talent around him. Not to mention, we do have some talent here even if this website mantra is “LOL Jets” at all times.

And if you’re going to point to 2015 and say well he had talent then and they were only 9-7 and lost in the playoffs, I’ll point you to the other side of the ball where he was supported by one of the worst defenses in the league in almost every statistics category. PLEASE NOTE: THIS DOES NOT MEAN COUSINS IS ABSOLVED OF ANY AND ALL BLAME. NO ONE EVER SAID IT DID.

Bottom line: you can’t questions Cousins’ ability to play well here any more than you can Mayfield or Allen. In fact you can question it way less. We know Cousins can play at an NFL starter level. We don’t even know that the other two will amount to backups (see: Petty, Bryce and Hackenberg, Christian).

I just said a bunch of things that have already been said btw. If you still think the question hasn’t been answered then it’s because you know the answer makes perfect sense.

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, you know I heard Stephen A Smith ranting about Cousins today on the radio completely blaming him for all the losses as if he's the only player on the team and was the primary factor in all losses. It's incredibly short sighted. You can't judge a QB on just wins/losses. Even Drew Brees had five 7-9 seasons and an 8-8 season, yet he is much better than Cousins. The team built around him is a big factor and to deny this is not logical.

- The Redskins offensive line was subpar (ranked 21st in run blocking, 24th in pass protection)
    - Their defense wasn't good by any stretch (ranked dead last against the run and 27th in points allowed, although against the pass they were 9th, based on total yards allowed they were 21st).
    - They don't have a true #1 WR, their main options are Doctson, Crowder & Pryor, and their RBs were well below average and a 34 year old washed up TE in Vernon Davis.

The Redskins are basically a joke outside of Cousins, Kerrigan and Josh Norman. They completely failed to surround Cousins with any decent playmakers and the oline deteriorated even though they had 2 pro bowlers on it. Didn't the Redskins put up 30+ against the Saints and the Vikings? Those losses were definitely not on Cousins.

There are legitimate reasons to want to avoid Cousins, but win/loss record is not one of them. If the team around him didn't regress every year, he'd have a better chance. I'd say in comparison, the Jets have a better WR core, better RB core, better defense, but a worse offensive line. There is no reason to think he wouldn't be a positive factor joining this team. I am still in the "draft a QB" camp, but some of the excuses people are coming up with to disparage him are ridiculous.

TonyFtLaud and All Gas No Shake like this.
  15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I edited the post. My question didnt post. So sorry about. But i essential said my point was all aling is that we know hes not brees ot brady or anything like that. We agree, but my question always was, of hes not them and he couldn't overcome the deficiencies in Washington, why would he do it here? Regardless of what you or i think of him, i feel its a very valid question. Were gonna be just as bad as Washington was this year on offense and defense, so why are we spending that kind of money on him? Were not just a qb away.

16. BroadwayAaron

All completely accurate and more than fair. Great post.

17. BroadwayAaron

First off I think if someone said we are a better team than Washington, I’d agree. Their offense was barren. Kearse, Anderson and Enunwa would all be top options if you put them on the Skins right now. Defensively it’s probably a toss up. But man that offense with Alex Smith is going to be abysmal. Hope Chris Thompson is healthy because he’s gonna be their leading receiver.

Second, you’re right, we are not just a quarterback away. I’m going to assume that will end up with another receiver and potentially an elite running back in the draft. So we are not going to just be adding a quarterback. Not to mention cousins is only 30. You don’t have to be good right away to get the best out of Cousins. You can continue this build for the next four years and still get high-quality play out of him.

Then if your worry is what we do after Cousins… We have all of our picks going forward so odds are, we would end up taking a QB to groom at some point.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Barkley won't be on the board at 6 and if it's not him, im not interested in a 1st rd RB. Id rather go defense.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have been preaching that all off-season so far. Every option is risky, but Mac needs to make a risky decision. The worst decision would be to re-sign McCown, go BPA at #6, then draft a mid-round QB and hope he pans out. I'd much rather take a risk on Cousins or one of the top QB's.

FJF likes this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

None of us want that. It think the biggest difference is what people see as the path to longevity. Hes gonna have to do something tho. We cant continue to go the route weve been going.

The Dark Knight likes this.