Jets start dumping players

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 19, 2018.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

They have to draft a replacement for Beachum at LT. He will be OK this season, but after this, I think it's best we move on.

2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine being this slow. I'm a clown? Why is it that the absolute dumbest people are the ones who resprt to name calling while refusing to make a real point. I get it, you think because Mahomes was drafted that proves we wasted a chance to draft him. Proves they're a better team, with a better FO. Makes him better than anyone we have. Good for you, go back to calling me a clown and having the balls to bring up logic, while being this clueless. Moving on, I'm done playing with you.

#82 LF911SC, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  3. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

this is where I disagree with you wholeheartedly..... that entire belief is based off of mock drafts posted by various talking heads.... it is very easy for you, myself, and anyone else with internet or TV to consume that data and then base your draft or expectation of the draft off of it. But there are 32 NFL GMs in the world...it is an exclusive and prestigious club to say the least. Owners are paying them millions of dollars, among other things to evaluate and draft talent. If i wanted Mel Kiper or CBS sportsline to draft my team, i can save millions on a GM and go with their draft boards... but I am hiring a GM to think independently and grab Watson or Mahomes at 6 regardless of what the mocks say, IF they feel either is an NFL FQB. For the record, I am not saying either is or will be, that's not my argument, but I am paying my GM to tell me if he will be, and draft him accordingly.
    On the flipside of this, most talking heads had Hack as a 3rd rd pick at best, some MUCH later.... Mac took him in the 2nd. If he thought Hack was a FQB, i have 0 problem with him drafting him there then (if he thought there was even a small chance another team may draft him as high). The issue here is how poorly he evaluated Hack, not where he picked him b/c the mocks said this, that, etc...

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. IMO Mac should have done this in his first draft with the Jets. The problem is, there are only 2-3 fairly highly rated LTs prospects, and none save maybe Connor Williams are good enough to take at #6. Even if Williams is worthy of the #6 pick, if they don't sign Cousins, then they need to take a QB rather than Williams. Are there any good LT prospects who will be available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Martinas Rankin from Mississippi State could be someone worth looking at. Biggest knock on him is lack of strength, but that's fixable.

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, I've heard of him, but haven't seen him play. Anyone else?

7. I would not touch Williams till pick 12 or so...though he may go alittle higher than that. He fits a zone scheme pretty well but think he might be better at either guard or RT. He lacks alittle balance & anchoring in pass protection..additionally his feet while very good are not elite.

I am not opposed to trading down from 6 if no QB or Barkely are available w. the purpose of completely rebuilding the offensive line. Quenton Nelson is an absolute perfect fit for the Shanahan ZBS that we'll be employing & he is top notch. However, I'm not touching a guard till pick 16 the earliest. If we could nab a whole new left side of the OL or future new left side that could be a good starting point on O.I'd prefer not drafting a center in the first 2 rounds..I don't think any of the prospects in this class are high impact..it's a rarity to begin with. Price is a good player but would rather have him at guard which he can play just as well.

I'd still rather go skill b.c we desperately need a dynamic playmaker but if none are available that make sense OL is the next best thing.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think this is true, both the Chiefs and Texans gave up a future 1st plus other picks to draft them at 10 & 12 respectively. You don’t think either would have drafted them at 6 if they held those spots? That is nonsense.

Also you can’t say it is hindsight as there were many arguments on this board pre draft, especially about drafting Mahomes. I’m still pissed we didn’t take Mahomes last year, we wouldn’t be on the verge of handing out the largest QB contract to a good not great QB if we did.

Don’t think anyone would be on here crying about the giant hole at SS.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You should always build the line first because it is the first point of failure in the offense. It's also the group that benefits the most from continuity and that most easily integrates new arrivals who have talent.

That doesn't mean the line should be star material but more than any other group on the team the OL relies on consistent performance across the board since weak spots are identified and exploited quickly.

Leicester Jet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Outside of McGlinchey and Brown, both of whom I think will go in Round 1, I'm not comfortable saying anyone in this draft could be the LT of the future. I would have zero issue trading back into the back end of Round 1, or trading down from 6, to take either one of them. Heck, they might just take one of them at 6 and put them inside for a year, but I doubt that happens, but stranger things have happened with this franchise.

However, there will be cheaper and better options in FA than Ijalana, if LT isn't addressed between April 26-28.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Of course you always have a 1 in 20 chance on each individual spin. However, if you spin the wheel 20 times, you are very highly probable to hit on one of them, because the odds are 1 in 20. Obviously there are no guarantees, but you may want to review how statistics work. Thinking that you have the same chance of hitting, while spinning once as you have spinning it 20 times is complete and utter nonsense. You can still miss 1000 times in a row, but the more you spin the better your chance of getting lucky and hitting.

#91 Sam Hammer, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Wilkerson, Idzik missed on 99% of his picks, quantity does nothing for a GM if he has a terrible scout team and a HC who pushes for players that are reaches.

The Steelers on the other hand hit on about 50% of their picks more consistently then any other team, they do stick to BPA, and it works. It's about quality and not quantity.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I was just talking about increasing the odds. I'm well aware there are no guarantees, and that scouting plays a big role, but much of the draft is still a crap shoot. Every single year there are universally agreed upon top prospects that become busts, and late rounders that become solid starters. Finding those gems can be tough, but the more picks, the better chance of finding one. I like trading down because we can fill more holes, and if the Jets actually give Cousins 60m in the first year, that will be almost necessary.

#93 Sam Hammer, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    HomeoftheJets and Red Menace like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Chris & Woody.

15. ColoradoContrails

Giving a guy who can't shoot straight doesn't make him a sharpshooter.

16. ColoradoContrails

Yes, the rookies Safeties played well - as they damn well should have since Macc used his first 2 picks on them. Still, while Maye was better than most expected, Adams was less so. As for Lee getting better? That's like telling the kid who shits his pants every day that he's doing so much better now that he only does it every other day. The only thing keeping Lee from being the biggest bust Macc drafted is Hackenberg.

The defense has actually not improved since Bowles has arrived. Funny, since he had the rep as a great defensive coach. The excuses made for him around this are truly amazing. He's not HC material. Maybe some day he might be, but I seriously doubt it. The fact that he and Macc were extended is the biggest impediment to improvement for this team. It doesn't matter how long you wait, hamburger will never turn into steak.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

How is that a "myth"? We all know Macc wasn't going to take Watson or Mahomes at 6, that doesn't change the fact that many of us were pounding the table for him to. And that's not 20-20 hindsight. Had he taken Mahomes or Watson instead of Adams, and then taken Maye as he did, the Jets would be farther along than they are now. Maybe they wouldn't even have to agonize about whether to make a slightly above average QB the richest in history or gamble on a drafted QB this year!

As badly as the secondary needed help, and Safety was a big need, there is no Safety in NFL history who ever had a bigger impact than a good QB, and yet Macc doubled down on Safety. Whatever his plan is, it defies logic.

18. ColoradoContrails

This ^ times 1000%!

19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He should never have been fired after last season. Works like this, the whole world predicts your team will win 1 or so games and you win 5, lead in 3 or so others, with a journeyman backup QB and a roster of kids, you dont get fired. Only this fanbase thinks this way. Kind of like claiming today that Mahomes was the right pick at 6, please.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I can vouch for Colorado on this. We had quite a few discussions prior to the draft. I loved Mahomes and wanted the Jets to draft him, but knew that Mac wouldn't as he hadn't given up on Hack yet, and drafting Mahomes or Watson at #6 would have screamed that the Jets were giving up on Hack.

ColoradoContrails likes this.