Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

But you’re calling it panicking. That doesn’t mean they actually are panicking.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

They are panicking. They know there jobs are on the line. Thats whyball this stuff about Cousins is coming out. Theyre telling anyone who will listen to either say hey cousins well write you a blabk check or its a BS smoke screen. Either way, its unnecessary. This much didnt leak out about the Fitzpatrick negotiations.

It doesnt matter if you like cousins or not, but this stinks of desperation and panic. They could quietly do all these things like they have in oast seasons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins red flags? How concerned should Jets be about these issues?
    Updated 7:16 AM; Posted 7:00 AM
    [​IMG]
    Kirk Cousins to the Jets? (AP Photo | Mark Lennihan)

0 shares
    By Darryl Slater

dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

As the Jets get ready to make a run at free agent quarterback Kirk Cousins, we've already laid out some reasons why they should be wary of giving him big bucks.

None of this is to say Cousins will be a total flop if the Jets sign him. But it would be foolish to label him -- right now, based on what he has done in the NFL -- as a guaranteed savior.

On top of the reasons we already detailed for the Jets being wary about giving Cousins a ton of money, Bleacher Report's Doug Farrar has published this in-depth film analysis that breaks down some of Cousins' flaws. It is very much worth your time.

Who will be Jets' starting QB in 2018?
    In short, Farrar notes that "key inefficiencies remain" in Cousins' game.

The longer version, via Farrar:

While he will occasionally make the kinds of "dead-on" throws into contested areas you want to see from a true franchise quarterback, his last two seasons show a more common picture of a player whose teammates and scheme have helped him to a large degree--and when he doesn't have those things, the picture gets muddy pretty quickly.

Farrar goes in-depth while breaking down two of Cousins' interceptions last season against the Giants and one against the Broncos. In particular, according to Farrar, the pick against the Broncos showed off a prominent weak area in Cousins' game:

If there's one common trait among Cousins' less impressive games, it's that his processing speed isn't quite up to where it needs to be. Often, you'll see Cousins throw just a bit early, just a bit late--he'll throw his receivers into converged coverage when the ideal choice is to throw one's receivers open. To do this requires not only the awareness of the timing of the route but the ability to, in a fraction of a second, adjust from the throw you thought you had to the one you've got. It's one more characteristic that separates the best quarterbacks from all the others, and it's something that doesn't show up enough in Cousins' game tape.

Do Cousins' past mistakes mean he would struggle in similar ways with the Jets, should they sign him? Not necessarily.

[​IMG]

Chiefs deal Smith: Cousins to hit free agency for Jets

A huge deal.

Cousins could find familiarity and comfort in the Jets' offense with coordinator Jeremy Bates, a Mike Shanahan disciple. Cousins was drafted by Shanahan in Washington, and has expressed a fondness for Shanahan's offense, even though he was never Washington's full-time starter during Shanahan's time there.

But it's not a lock that Cousins would thrive with the Jets.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

4. BroadwayAaron

Come on man. You’ve been around long enough to know that when massive numbers and details leak it’s because the agent is trying to get his client the best deal possible. What do the Jets have to gain by leaking information like that? Macc is notoriously tight lipped. Even if it IS true I don’t think it’s classfied as a panic move because one, Cousins is a good player and two, you can build up around him enough to make him an even better player.

Foles, Bradford, Alex Smith would have been panic moves. A 30 year old who is better than all three of them is not.

All Gas No Shake, nicg4360 and FJF like this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah but i dont think hes better than them at all. They're all alive the same talent level to me with Alex Smith being the best of them.

Its not just the an agent leaking this, this is the organizing leaking this too. Why would the agent leak this? The only team who can match the contract that the jets are reportedly offering is the browns, kirk isn't going there. So why would the agent leak that? He could have leaks a more modest number to start the bidding.

6. BroadwayAaron

Because a team like the Vikings or Broncos might be forced to give up that 30ish per year as opposed to whatever it is they were likely going to offer if they hear the Jets are going to give out a crazily structured contract that gets him tons of guaranteed money right off the bat.

Also put Cousins on the Chiefs this past season and I guarantee they don’t fizzle out.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Thats cousins specialty. He fizzles in big moments. Someone just posted an article about it.

That doesn't make sense for negotiation. Saying someone is giving me 60 Mil or fully guaranteed just scares and isolates someone. It's not smart agent work. If i have 60 bucks and i want something at the auction and someone says ill pay 100, im not gonna bid. Thats how you know it was leaked by the jets, its an attempt to isolate other buyers.

8. BroadwayAaron

That’s just playing poor poker if you wouldn’t put down 60 and call their bluff. I mean this isn’t a new tactic. It’s been happening in sports forever. Shit the Knicks sole purpose it seems is to drive up the price for free agents. See: Noah, Joakim and the agent that leaked the Wizards were going to give him a full max contract.

And again, if it is the Jets leaking it, who cares? You pay a ton up front, you still have money to spend and it lowers Cousins cap number for the next X amount of years to well below market value. That’s not panicking.

Alex Smith owes Tyreek Hill half his salary. I had this very discussion with a co worker recently... if you look at a table of Smith’s biggest plays they are almost all to Hill and when you pull the footage, more than half of them are pure bail out throws that Hill made happen with tracking, speed and body control. Can’t wait to see how he fares with the rag tag group Cousins had and dragged to mediocrity.

FJF likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

But what im saying is it sounds like desperation. Do you really trust them to surround cousins with the talent to be successful? They wanted to sign Brandon Marshall to a long term deal, He asked them to release him.

10. BroadwayAaron

If we were strapped for cash and we’re looking to dump every dollar we had into Cousins then I would say it looks like desperation. That’s not the case at all. Tell me it still looks like a ploy from the agent to squeeze the most money out of any team for his client, but even if this is the truth while it’s not ideal, it’s a way to get our guy and still have plenty of money plus our draft picks to surround him with talent. Plus you lower his cap number down the road which is usually when you start worrying about cap numbers on big deals.

I also think that our front office has been pretty good at plucking talent out of nowhere. Most of Macc’s trades have worked out pretty well. If only he could scout rookie quarterbacks… That’s where the issue lies.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A little more than I trust them to draft and develop a qb

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

After watching them trot forte out there time and time again, i dunno if the CS would manage it right even if they did bring in talent.

13. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

I don't even think it's the money as much as the fact that Denver and Minny are instant contenders if you ad a top ten QB. He's also 30, not some 25 year old that can afford to wait until the Jets rebuild their entire team to compete in 4-5 years.

14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

He asked them to release him because they were purging the team...he probably knew that he was going to be released as he was right in the age they were punting left and right. Hell they even released Decker and he didn't ask.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

They wanted to sign him to an extension with a purge. Youre missing the point. Its an indictment of this FO. Why would you not release him and jist rebuild? He gave you nothing the year prior and was a major source of locker room drama?

16. nicg4360

Yes there is that to of course but I think them offering an extension is BS. Decker was healthy to play the upcoming year was not a distraction and on contract already and they released him. Marshall gave up numerous times over and over and yes he was a distraction. No way he was getting extended regardless of what was stated to the public.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its just becoming apparent that Mac doesn't have a plan, and that's scary.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

What? He completely ditched high priced vets last year, acquired picks, they played tons of rookies (4th highest rookie snaps I think) and now are going into an offseason with $100 mil and a bunch of picks. I think that’s just as clear a plan as any.

19. nicg4360

I'm in the sign Cousins camp but in reality it won't happen. They will get a cheap vet and Mayfield at 6. Vet being McCowan again or maybe even McCarron. Something to that effect. That would be the sensible football idea.

I do think one way Cousins gets here is if Woody says screw it we need to get a few wins and put people back in the seats. Basically to appease the general fanbase. Be damned if it's a good "football" decision lol.
    My 2 cents.

zace likes this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I definitely disagree. I think if fitzpatrick hadnt mega flopped he wouldn't have done that. By all accounts, it was him who wanted hack btw. He alone made that decision.