Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

But that's all you've SAID. It's not all I've got from the discussion. You still can't tell me how bringing in Cousins stops you from bringing in young talented receivers who will grow together and can give us 8-10 years of solid play. Once you tell me that, then I'll be able to draw something from this conversation.

Judging by your multiple deflective responses, it seems like you only want to draft guys that can grow together and that makes no sense.

FlaJet and grkmanga31 like this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think some people are getting too caught up in the price tag of Cousins. In a season or two, Cousins contract is going to look cheap compared to some of the deals handed out. Remember, QB's are just going to get more and more expensive as time goes on and the value set out now, even if pricey, will look reasonable in due time.

And again, this is not a Brett Favre situation where you're trying to buy 1 SB, you can theoretically build around Cousins as he is just turning 30.

30 for a QB in today's NFL is not old at all and by most standards means the QB can still be even better and may have just entered his prime.

TonyFtLaud, JetsUK and FlaJet like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If you don't know the answer to that question than you haven't been paying attention.

Kirk Cousins "signature win" came in week 7 of 2015 against Tampa Bay. After a 2-2 start the Redskins had lost 2 in a row, causing people & the media to wonder if it was going to be a lost season and if Cousins was any good. Then In the Tampa game they fell behind 24-0 at home. They were booed off the field at halftime.

Then Cousins got hot. 33 of 40 and 3 Touchdown passes, 1 Rushing TD later the Redskins pulled off an exciting, improbable 31-30 comeback victory proving their QB was not some bum and their playoff chances were real. In the locker room, a fired up Kirk Cousins looked over at the media members present and shouted "you like that!?!?!"

his signature win

4. grkmanga31

Drew Brees has been putting up insane numbers for the longest time but aside from his Superbowl win, the Saints have been dog shit and have had a middling roster at best. This past season, the Saints drafted 4 starters (Kamara, Williams, Ramczyk, Lattimore) and instantly felt the benefits of doing so.

Although I get the general premise that giving a QB a bunch of your cap, tends to prohibit the team from addressing other needs, NFL teams will forever live or die by the draft.

If your GM can pinpoint talent, consistently, you can reload your roster and avoid having to dole out huge contracts for other players.

If Maccagnan ends up signing Cousins and has a draft similar to that of the Saint, the Jets could pretty much catapult themselves into playoff contention. You no longer have to use a first round pick, or more to select a QB. You can take the 6th pick and address EDGE rusher, trade back, etc.

Steelers are consistently relevant because they draft well and continuously stock up on talent through the draft. Premium talents are re-signed, ones that are good but not great are replaced. That's how you win and remain competitive in the NFL, with a salary cap. You allocate money to the best players and most impact players and continue to use the draft to supplement that talent with cheaper talent. It's a continuous cycle.

5. I’m all for Allen Robinson same w a few other names you mentioned.But are they even coming here??Weve never been able to nab non OL high profile FAs to come here bc we never have a QB.Now I’ll grant you that Cousins May change some of that but again..I’m not in on Cousins given the price,given the level of play & given the the “put all our eggs in one QB basket” predicament the FO is in.He’s not a sure thing worth tat sort of investment

Beyond that we have an ownership group that relies entirely on perception..most notably sources from the media & from a portion of the fan base. You don’t think we bring in all these big names they’re suddenly not gonna be screaming win now?And before you say it’s meaningless hot air remember who our owners are

Drafting is not the be all end all..no doubt..but from a long term scope we desperately need to prioritize offense on the draft.Starters,depth etc

6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

...and so far the Mac and his lackeys have not been up to the task

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. grkmanga31

Can't disagree, although I would argue that he did have his best draft last season. If he wants to stay on as GM, he will need to have a great offseason. From signing FA's to drafting, he needs to hit the ball outta the park. Hard not to get better with 3 picks in the top 50 and 100 mil in cap space

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

81 pages. Wow! Someone needs to forward this to Kirk. Doubt the Broncos, Jaguars, Vikings and Browns talk about him this much! :):D

dogg, NYJFOREVER and grkmanga31 like this.
  9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I agree...as long as there are quality players available to draft when we are up. I don't want to draft an OFF player for the sake of drafting one and missing out on an edge rusher or a difference making DEF player.

dogg, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  10. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I hope the browns, Vikings or broncos push hard for Cousins. If the jets outbid them it will be that much more epic
    It's not all good. For example, Cousins isn't worth 30 mil a year and the jets would be stupid to give it to him. He's been with the redskins for a few years and they don't see enough in him to give him a big long term contract then why should the jets?

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i can't understand why people keep repeating wrong information.

1) the redskins did offer him a LTD with more money then carr last offseason. he declined because then stafford got paid and he'd be making less then stafford. they also tagged gim twice paying him about 46 million over the past 2 years. you don't do that to a player you don't see enough in

2) the market has been set. jimmy g just got 27.5 million for playing in 5 games in his career. kirk has done great for 3 straight years and never missed a game. his value is worth more then jimmy g got. there hasn't been a FA QB with his resume ever

It's fine you don't like him, don't want him, or think he's overrated personally. but no point in repeating things that are fake like his value (which is already set) and the fact the skins did make him offers of 27mil a year give or take

dogg, FlaJet, TonyFtLaud and 3 others like this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Correct, and with the growing cap each year, a 30m hit feels like a 20m hit now...

FlaJet and grkmanga31 like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

In 2016 he had Garcon and Jackson, he made the pro bowl and both receivers had over 1000 yards receiving, unfortunately the Redskins lost their Center, LT and LG for multiple games due to injury and the D was ranked 28th. Reed only started 8 games.
    In 15 Jackson only played in 9 games
    The O line again was decimated by injury,C missed 5 games LG missed 3 full games and time in others and LT missed a couple of games also. Reed started 9 games
    Moss last season was 2014 , he played 10 games was a shell of his former self and RG3 was the starter. Hardly qualifies as Cousins supporting Cast.

As I stated Brees was the last , youngish, proven QB to hit FA. It doesn't happen often.
    Cousin's success or failure will, as with any QB, be dependent on the team around him.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

for five years, $150 mill ... $30 mill signing bonus, $30 mill roster bonus paid the next day, $1 mill base salary

$61 mill for cousins in year one with a $36 mill cap hit and going forward the hit is $22.5 mill

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

exactly - even if he costs $30m what the hell else are we going to do - get a journeyman QB for $12 and spend the rest on a cornerback?

FlaJet, donkey, TonyFtLaud and 3 others like this.
  17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

to be fair what else do we have to talk about? :)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

19. grkmanga31

Most important position on the field is QB. There's a reason why QB's like Matthew Stafford end up being the highest paid. Is Stafford a good QB, absolutely, is he elite? Absolutely not.

Kirk Cousins fits that same description. Good QB, not elite. Whoever signs him will pony up the cash - 30+ million

JetsUK likes this.