Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. I want a methodical draft based rebuild that results in a COMPLETE roster. I'm not interested in settling for short term quick fixes. In my opinion this team is not ready to compete regardless of who we draft or bring in via free agency this coming season. We're at least another season away. Sure..we may overachieve & sneak into a wild card spot; But that doesn't interest me. I want to do the hard right for once. I want a deep talented roster with an identity.

Cousins completely removes a methodical rebuild from the equation. Instead of casting a wide net to find as much young talent as possible suddenly we're catering to a win now QB."Now we need A,B,C ,D"It's clear you don't grasp that. I don't think there's a profound right or wrong way...but it's abundantly clear "My way" & "Your way" of building this team are a far cry from one another. You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yea the age/injury thing is just a desperation play at this point. There's really no cause for major concern in this area.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

I really don't mean to be a dick here but I just can't make sense of a lot of what you're saying regarding this topic.

So you don't think we are ready to compete for another year, which is why you want to draft a QB and NOT the "win now" type of talent? You think whatever QB we draft is going to have us ready to compete in a year and all the NOT "win now" guys we draft will be ready to go? That doesn't make sense.

Also "Cousins completely removes a methodical rebuild from the equation" is very dramatic. First off, you still have the same amount of picks so you are STILL going to come out of the draft with a lot of young guys at every position. And you want a deep talented roster with an identity... how does fixing the biggest problem you're franchise has had for decades deter you from doing this? I grasp what "win now" means so you can toss that garbage out the window, but you're DRASTICALLY overstating how much signing Cousins would change the philosophy.

Just going off a few guys the Jets have been linked to: Allen Robinson... win now and 24 years old. Malcolm Butler... win now and 27 years old. Jeremy Hill... win now and 25 years old. You get it at this point (I hope). It's almost like you can sign young guys that can already play right now AND get better down the line! Tell me again how Cousins coming in ruins the methodical rebuild you desperately want.

You think with $100 mil and two picks in the first three days, we should only go after young guys that are a year or two away from being ready? Sorry... I just don't see how that makes much sense at all.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

signing cousins will set the jets back another 4 years. i have absolutely no interest in that move. hes not great and he is going to be paid like he is great. he has not elevated his team and just screams mediocre to me. no thank you.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Kirk cousins allows us to draft an impact player in the first round. That is huge. There is no way around it to get an "impact" rookie qb we are trading multiple draft picks. As it's been mentioned the win now or in the foreseeable future is extended. This roster desperately needs it's draft picks....FA is somewhat devoid of quality Oline. Most quality players will be resigned.
    If we draft the 3rd qb or below get ready for another 1-2 years of Josh McCown. BANK ON IT. Bowles has been extended and loves his Vets. You really want that?

dogg, James Hasty and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. If it means that after 2 more years we have a young QB ready to take over to go along w. a young deep roster poised for a offensive head coach to come in & take this team to the next level...hell yeah..sign me up.

I have zero faith in the team winning w. Bowles anyway. As long as he's here we should concentrate on building up the roster for brighter days.

7. BroadwayAaron

See, here we go again...

You have no faith in Bowles... but you want to draft a young QB that needs to be developed as well as assemble a roster of young guys (that will also need developing) for the next coach to come in and take over...

Do you see how THAT is what's ass backwards?

8. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Everyone keeps mentioning this young QB who will be ready in 2 years....the jets get slammed daily for how they are incredibly incompetent at development of QBs and have no clue no matter how many QB's they pick....the Infact now have picked more QBs than any team in the draft over the past 10 years with nothing... nothing to show for it. Love those odds.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

Bingo bango.

It's so funny that the same people who bitch about the CS and front office (rightfully so in some cases) are the same people that want to pass on the established QB for the young guy that will need to be developed into a pro QB.

nicg4360 likes this.
  10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Methodical based draft LMAO

Man get the damn Quarterback.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So Macc should just focus on building up the roster and not giving his head coach the best chance to win.

Great fucking strategy LMAO

That makes no sense.

nicg4360 and BroadwayAaron like this.
  12. Isn't building up the roster & giving a coach the best chance to win sort of the same thing? Well maybe not if you're only interested in lottery ticket "get rich quick" schemes.

13. Because the established guy is drastically over priced,mandates a "win now" narrative that does not line up with the team's current state AND he isn't all that "established" to begin with!

Boomer Esiasion,Rick Mirer, Neil O'donnell, Brett Favre...the team has had just as much failure with "Established" guys as they have w. drafting QBs...so tell me how the established method is such a no brainer??

Br4d likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Isn't bringing in a top 10-12 QB while having the 6th pick and two 2nd rounders plus $70 million MORE considered building up the roster? Or can you only build up the roster by drafting a QB instead of signing one?

You said this and I responded to it already... maybe you'll respond here. How does that not line up with the teams current state? What massive rebuild are we undergoing? Am I unaware of some rule that states you lose draft picks if you sign free agents? You're being dramatic.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i would only prefer 1 rookie qb over Cousins and thats Sam Darnold . All the others seem shaky.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. The team's current state speaks for itself. My take on this entire situation is well documented & well established. I don't think Cousins is a top 10 QB, I don't think he's worth a massive deal, I don't think he's a QB that can be a long term fixture for an offense at square one, Im extremely skeptical of why the Redskins would not simply sign him to a long term if he was a true elite player when they are no different than any franchise in the pursuit of finding a great QB, I think he stunts an offensive rebuild before it even gets underway as I don't believe Anderson,Enunwa or mcguire or anything more than complimentary role players who may not even be dependable long term.

I view the transaction of bringing in cousins as counterproductive & a byproduct of a desperate regime & an impatient fan base.

Let's remove my affinity for a QB at 6 from the equation. I would rather the Jets disregard the QB position entirely, use the cap space/draft picks to build up the roster in the same manner they have been & take my chances in the coming years w. finding a QB than waste precious cap space on a guy who is nowhere near worth the price tag & doesnt fit the current movement underway.

There's nothing more I can add to this discussion. Carry on.

17. BroadwayAaron

You keep saying the same things over and over and over but you can't say WHY.

WHY does he stunt an offensive rebuild? I need at least one logical reason behind the thought that Kirk Cousins stunts a rebuild. I've yet to see one. This seems to be a huge sticking point for you but I can't seem to figure out WHY. I responded to one of your many posts stating this with names of guys we've been linked to who can win now and contribute for the next 7-10 years. That alone debunks this theory that you can't rebuild the offense with Cousins. Tack on the fact that you have a shot at an elite RB or the best OL in the draft at 6. You have two second round picks as well.

I just don't get it and you're not helping me or anyone else get it.

18. I want building blocks on offense. I want young players that can grow together to create a culture & an identity in the same manner thats already underway on defense. While I understand there are circumstances in which a established QB would fit into such a scenario....I have a hard time understanding how Cousins fits into that.

Cousins wants to win now. The team will need to sell him on winning now which means they'll need to make subsequent transactions to fit that narrative. The media will think we are win now, portions of the fan base will think we're win now & our front running ownership will be PUSHING for win now. You can call it being over dramatic...but how is any of this not foreseeable??

As I've stated prior, a changing of the guards is underway at the QB position in the NFL. I'd much rather have a player w. tremendous upside under the age of 25 than a 30 year old complimentary player getting paid like Peyton Manning.

Beyond all of that...I'm not settling for a QB w. a massive price tag who above all else ISN'T THAT GOOD. If aaron Rodgers was 30 & available..sign me up in a heartbeat! I've said that all along. Bottom line is I don't think Cousins gets us to the promised land, his price tag is absolutely ridiculous & hos return isn't worth going all in on winning now.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That is a great point and I agree completely. I would take Darnold over Cousins too.

The damn problem is timing. Cousins is a FA months before the draft starts. It should be the opposite. Draft first - then FA. that's how the NBA does it.

Attackett likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

You STILL can't explain to me how bringing in Kirk Cousins stops you from signing guys like Allen Robinson, Jeremy Hill, Norwell (if he isn't tagged), Justin Pugh, etc. which, when coupled with what we already have, would constitute a group of young players that can grow together and create an identity.

You can win now and acquire young talent. It's possible. I've pointed it out to you three times now. Why can't you at least acknowledge it?

nicg4360 and FJF like this.