Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’d much rather go with the QB that can play at a high level guaranteed and use every asset we have to put the best team possible around him. There is so much to support the theory that you don’t need an elite QB to win, you need a complete team. I’m equally as sad more Jet fans don’t feel the same.

dogg, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rudolph doesn't have much upside either ... he was the product of having 2 NFL caliber receivers on the outside and playing against Big 12 defenses. Cousins vs Rudolph? The decision isn't even close. You go pay Cousins.

Falk and Rudolph will be backups in the NFL ... if Mac RIGHT now believes he can't get Rosen, Darnold or doesn't want to look at Jackson then the best course of action is to sign Cousins and draft a QB like Kyle Lauletta in the 5th.

3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

This is the argument I still do not agree with and fail to understand.

Kirk Cousins will only be 30 years old when the 2018 season begins. Why can't their be sustainable success with Kirk Cousins? He will be in the NFL for, at least, the next 5-7 years. During that time you will have the ability to add young QB after young QB until you find a young QB that just maybe, for once, the organization can groom and you could make the case that that would be more sustainable to success than taking the 3rd or 4th best QB in this draft, or trading a boat load of draft capital in order to move up, and have them sit behind 39 year old Josh McCown who was lucky to last 12.5 games last year and likely won't even make 6 games in 2018, forcing said rookie QB onto the field perhaps too soon, potentially damaging and ruining his career.

How about taking a QB in Round 2, or the end of Round 1, in the next 1-2 years and having them sit behind Cousins for 2-3 years and then getting onto the field, ala what the Jets did years ago with Chad Pennington? Also, Kirk Cousins is no Vinny Testaverde. He's a hell of a lot younger and could be the franchise QB here for a nearly a decade.

I don't know, sounds like a possible sustained success situation to me.

jonnyd, dogg, TonyFtLaud and 5 others like this.
  4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I think if we sign Cousins (which i am not in favor of) you have to use the first 4 picks on contributors. Not another project QB, build the O-line, get a pass rusher, maybe a receiving threat of a TE or an RB. Don't grab a guy for 5 years down the road if we sign Cousins for 5 years. Doesn't make sense

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Explain to me how Cousins is guaranteed to perform at a high level. He could fall flat on his face w. a change in scenery just as well as any other free agent. Hell at his age he's one season ending injury away from his entire career being in jeopardy!!

Now explain to me how an offense that has next to ZERO building blocks should be starting w, a 30 year old QB who screams "win now". The rest of the team is young as well...please explain to me how Cousins fit in with this movement OR how he doesn't disrupt whats already underway,

It's counterproductive & ass backwards,

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. MurrellMartin

I'm fine with that. The offense definitely still would need to be addressed. RB, OL depth, TE needs another body and one could argue so could WR. I'd probably wait until next season to add a QB to sit behind him anyway, but I also wouldn't hate the idea of taking someone like Falk or Lauletta either.

7. MurrellMartin

30 years old is not old for an NFL Quarterback. The team can be "rebuilt" with a 30 year old QB and there are building blocks here. There's Anderson and Enunwa. Potentially others could emerge, such as McGuire or Leggett, but yes, other talent will have to be added, and signing Cousins in no way shape or form stops the Jets from doing so, whether via Free Agency or the draft, because of our outstanding cap situation not only this year, but for the next 2-3 years.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  8. STARoSCREAM

I can see addressing the o-line in FA. I'm hoping to also snatch up a CB in FA as well, this way we can focus on the aforementioned positions

MurrellMartin likes this.
  9. MurrellMartin

Agreed on CB. I'd like to see Claiborne leave, or back on another 1 year deal, alongside another veteran CB. I'd love to also take a look at Jensen from Baltimore at C.

10. 1. I don't think Cousins is anywhere close to a top QB. He's slightly above average
    2. I don't think he's a safe bet to perform b.c I don't think ANY free agent is a safe bet coming to this market
    3. I don't want to pay a slightly above average 30 year old QB the highest contract in NFL history regardless of future contract inflation
    4.I want the team to continue doing the hard right of a methodical draft based rebuild & can't understand how Cousins fits into that
    5. I think the offense is complete dog shit & have a hard time understanding how a 30 year old QB who is in no way dominant is the main building block.

11. STARoSCREAM

O-line is that unit where the less you hear about them the better they are.

The fact that fans realize its a problem speaks volumes about how much work needs to be done.

I don't believe our O-line was that bad last year BUT they were super inconsistent. If you want your QB or RB to get into a rhythm, the O-line play must be consistent.

12. STARoSCREAM

This X100

13. MurrellMartin

I see. To each their own on Cousins and I can understand someone who doesn't view him as a Top 10 QB thinking the way that you do. I however believe in Cousins, have since his Michigan State days, and was thrilled to see him overtake the fluke that was RG3 in DC. Since he has, he has posted some of the best numbers in football, all with less than average talent around him, and taken his team to the playoffs in 1 of those 3 seasons. Now yes, the offensive talent here isn't much better, but it is better than what he had to work with last season in DC and the Jets have all the potential to get better with the remaining salary cap space they'll have even after a potential Cousins deal and with our 8 picks in April's draft. The cabinet is pretty bare after Anderson and Enunwa, but unless Maccagnan completely whiffs, it should get better and should get better quick.

dogg, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  14. MurrellMartin

The problems came from Carpenter and Johnson. Winters also played through injury. The interior has to be fixed and I think it all starts with the Center. Johnson has to be replaced and will be. Carpenter should be due to the scheme that Bates/Dennison will likely run, but we will see. He may last one more season here if the organization fails to address the position for whatever reasons.

15. STARoSCREAM

you're comfortable with Beachum?

not that he played bad, but his health track record is not the best

16. MurrellMartin

For 2018 I am semi-confident in Beachum, but would not hate if someone like Brown was taken at 6, if Cousins is signed, and moving or releasing Beachum. Aside from that happening, I think he's here in 2018 and gone in 2019. Who would replace him, I have no clue, and that's part of what we need to do this offseason: address not only a starting position or 2 on the OL, but the reserve situation as well. We could add 4 OL this offseason and I wouldn't mind it because the area is so depleted.

17. BroadwayAaron

It’s not counterproductive and ass backwards. It’s another perfectly logical route that you don’t like so you’re pretending it’s wrong. both ways have proven track records.

It’s a little ironic to me that the guy that wants to risk it all on a quarterback with the six pick is worried about a free-agent quarterback, already established, falling flat on his face. I mean that is the literal biggest issue with drafting a guy like whoever will be available for us at six. And the whole “he’s one injury away from having a career ending injury“ thing is laughable considering Teddy Bridgewater, who is in his early 20s, will probably never be the same again because of an injury.

And this is kind of what I’m talking about when I say there isn’t one way that is right and one way that is wrong like you’re pretending there is. Every concern and criticism you can have for signing a 30-year-old quarterback you can also have for drafting a quarterback with the sixth overall pick.

jonnyd, TonyFtLaud, FJF and 2 others like this.
  18. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The contract cousins is getting is more the market norm for a good quality QB. It looks and IS a big number but every time a good QB is up for a new contract "it's the biggest ever".
    I'm half in regarding cousins. The more economical choice is draft one. But let's be honest the only 2 QB's that have the best chance of being "FQB's" will be long gone before we pick. Each and every one after are going to need DEVELOPMENT....such a horrific word when it comes to the jets and rookie QB's. Do you really trust the jets to pick "the one" and then get the best out of him. They have not been able to do so for years so how is this going to be any different. If we are so sure cousins will not be the answer why are we so sure the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft is going to be the end all and be all.

19. BroadwayAaron

And to answer the second part of this… How the hell would signing Cousins disrupt what’s already underway? What exactly is already underway? Do you think there’s some massive youth movement going on where we need nothing but young guys to play and tank to get the next great QB? Absurd.

Powell, Kearse, ASJ, Robbie at this point, Enunwa, etc. are all veterans. They are ready to play at a high level. Why would you not want to put a top 10-12 QB behind center to throw to them? I don’t understand your point here. And you’re also acting like Cousins is ancient. He’s freakin 30 years old. He’s not running back.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Not only is he only 30 years old he played behind RG3 for a couple years so he does not have a lot of wear and tear. Being 30 and having very few injuries also proves he is durable. Rosen has had multiple injuries and concussions ....in College!