Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post! This is spot on. Chad should have started long before he did, but the Jets wouldn't start him because they couldn't move on from Vinny and weren't going to pay him all that money to sit on the bench.

2. Lol..no worries buddy!

As soon as I posted my reply I knew you’d be cringing.This is the one aspect of the QB situation we differ on..I understand your perspective..I’m just to the point where I’d rather be good at QB & shitty everywhere else than vice versa.If I can’t get the trade up I want & this Cousins crap comes to fruition this is what I’d be hoping for.I understand full well not many will be on board w this.Surprisingly Benigno & Roberts have stated they like the concept..so go figure

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Your one line " Carr has been better, but still not "tearing it up." Just summed up the case against your whole argument.
    Carr's extension , while he was not tearing it up, was the biggest in league history, then Cousins was offered a larger guarantee, he turned it down, Stafford's was the next QB to sign and he surpassed Carr, followed By Jimmy G who's deal beat Stafford's. It's the way the league works, and will continue to work.

4. NCJetsfan

Great post except for taking at QB at #6 after signing Cousins! This is why no one should want Cousins.

5. NCJetsfan

What you say is only true if caps keep going up. More than likely, they will not. Lots of people have stopped watching the NFL. Many here are even disenchanted with the game. Odds are that the next TV Contracts will be less, and the NFL will be forced to change its ways.

Even if your are correct and that is one point against my argument, there are a bunch of other points on my side of the argument that shred all of your and others arguments for signing Cousins. It's plain and simple not the right/best move for the Jets unless they plan to sign him for only 2 years, and even then I'll bet that Cousins wouldn't sign here. He's looking for long-term stability.

6. NCJetsfan

LOL I also understand where you're coming from in wanting to make sure the Jets don't miss out on getting a young topnotch QB. I just think that Mac would get killed in the media and fired for doing that.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This isn’t on topic but since it was brought up..

I think the declining TV ratings have to do with more people watching NFL RedZone, which isn’t required to release its viewership ratings. With fantasy football becoming so intense, lots of people are only interested in big plays and scoring. Plus 7 1/2 hours of commercial free football is so much fun, especially the end of time slots where you get whiparound coverage of all the close endings. I used to watch full games every Sunday, now I only watch RedZone other than the Jets game.

HomeoftheJets and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yep, how’d that work out for the Redskins, with arguably better talent around, Cousins?

Wasn’t very impressive.

Too many are blinded by the playoff drought, the poor Jets teams for the past 50 years, the desperation of wanting a winning team.

It clouds judgement and then we end up completing that same mediocre circle we have seen, over and over again.

I would rather find a FQB in the draft, like actual good teams do, and build a consistent winner.

I over the same old shit. Every year.

How many FA QBs over the years have really made a significant impact for their respective team?

I’m talking a consistent winner, playoff contending, super bowl winning FAQB?

Nobody pops into my head and I like to think I’m above average when it comes to football IQ and history of the game.

I could be wrong but I don’t believe this has been a proven method by any means towards the goals of a consistent winner.

9. TonyFtLaud

I posted this already in this thread but I'll summarize it for you.
    Salary's will continue to increase, Revenues have continued to increase even with "decreased viewership" there is a bidding war brewing over streaming rights. Super Bowl commercial revenue alone was well over $400 million dollars. That's $49 million more than 2016 and $74 million more than 2015.
    The next CBA , (2021) will see an increase in the amount of total revenue that is allocated to the salary cap.
    4 1/2 - 5% would equate to between $30-40 million more cap space. That would bring the league in line with the NBA and MLB.

Now please show me your facts as to why the cap and contracts will decrease.
    What are your other facts?
    I have read you post repeatedly that Cousins could get injured , I say a young QB can just as easily, like Watson ( who you claimed sucked at this Time last year), like Carr, like Wentz, Mariota,.
    QB contracts are guaranteed for 2 years not 5.
    Trading for a proven QB that we can hope the 4th best QB in this class can eventually equal doesn't do much for the roster. The young kid needs to be surrounded with as much talent, likely more to succeed. Cousin's has the advantage of being able to help the younger players , the drafted rookie will need to have seasoned vets around him to succeed. That's not sustainable.
    Building around a veteran QB , makes plugging in a rookie much more successful, Eagles and cowboys have shown this to be the case. Even Jax, Minnesota, and the Rams fared extremely well once their QBs we're surrounded by vets and talented players.
    You have also been vocal about trading up at all cost. You simply can not build through Free agency. It's fiscal suicide.
    The answer is sign cousins , add a couple select FAs, and fill holes in this draft , and next. Then you have a team that can contend , cap space and can draft a QB to develop behind Cousins in a year or two.
    QBs are playing longer as we debated previously, due to rule changes, training regimens, nutritional plans. There is absolutely no reason Cousins Should not be able to play out a 5 year deal, in fact, I'd bet it's not his last contract.
    As far as if he would sign here, what are his options?
    Denver , old D, finished worse than the Jets , are cutting Anderson to clear cap room. They are where the Jets we're in 15, old, over paid under performing on the verge of a full rebuild.vNo young core, if cousins signs, no cap space at all. You claim he has 2-3 years max left in his window. So that rules them out.
    Jacksonville ? Great fit, he could be the difference there but you have said he isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl, and Jacksonville would have to let some players walk to sign him at a discounted price. Will he leave 50 - 60 Million on the table ? Could Jax FO agree with you that he's not good enough ?
    The Browns ? They have the money , but they are going to be in cap hell very soon. You can't keep drafting multiple early pics back to back to back because you get multiple contracts due, back to back to back. They have the most unstable owner, FO and Coaching Carousel in the league.
    It's not easy to collect that much talent over and over yet lose out.
    The Cards have Fitzgerald for a year, RB coming off injury , new coach, new system, little cap space.
    The Jets are actually his best choice.
    Remember you did say, we have a great receiving corp, and challenged me to name one team in the league who had a group of TEs that could match the Jets TEs last off season. They could easily be the best in the league. Remember. I do...

jonnyd and FJF like this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

That and streaming.
    The way the younger generation watch sports and TV has changed. The Nielson ratings don't reflect that change. What many refuse to admit, is while Ratings we're down for all programing, the NFLs drop was significantly less and all the polls showing the drop in TV ratings also showed viewership including streaming was actually way up. The streaming will bring a large amount of revenue to the league.

Big Cat and MoWilkBeast like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

What talent did Washington surround Cousins with?

Quality QBs rarely hit the market. The last 2 were Payton , although older and coming off injury, it worked out well for Denver.
    Brees would be the one who should come to mind right away. The Saints would make the move to add him to their roster 100 out of 100 times if they had to do it over.

FJF likes this.
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It would seem that most people that do not want Cousins do want to use our top pick on a QB (or even trade up from # 6 for a QB) and are afraid that signing Cousins means we do not do so. Assuming that the two were mutually exclusive (signing Cousins would have no bearing on the draft - just pretend that it doesn't) it is much harder to make a case against signing Cousins.

We saw last year how hard it is to compete without spending the full salary cap, especially against teams that do (and teams that have a half price QB who some are calling the GOAT) or the SB champion that signed the SB winning backup QB in free agency last year while we sat on our hands. Sure you could spend $110 million on paper but you are competing against 31 other teams who want the same players and some guys who would look great in green will get tagged (DeMarcus Lawrence, I am looking at you).

You could make a case for a different free agent QB but they won't be cheap either and two of the best are coming off of an injury (Bradford and Bridgewater). Also, if you think Cousins had a good supporting cast, all three Vikings QBs had carte blanch.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Alfred Morris
    Peire Garçon
    Santana Moss
    DeSean Jackson
    Jordan Reed
    Trent Williams
    Brandon Scherff

Pretty good supporting cast, too bad they didn’t accomplish anything more than mediocre results.

Manning is more the exception, rather than the rule. He was a first ballot HOF before he even hit FA.

Bree’s I can accept but his situation was much different. Chargers had a stud in Rivers. Bree’s didn’t play up to the level he is at now when he hit FA.

There isn’t anything that suggests Cousins will ever be on that level. I could be wrong but when I watch Cousins play, it’s not eye popping for me. He doesn’t impress me overall In that way at least.

The money Cousins is going to get, isn’t going to come close to his value. I’m banking on that.

I doubt I’m wrong but we shall see.

Hopefully it’s not at our expense. My opinion of course.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My fault for misinterpreting.

Who would you target in such a trade?

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This makes no sense. No one should want a top 10-12 guy that allows us to take whatever is available at 6, which will be either an elite RB, the best OL or best pass rusher?

FJF likes this.
  16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Momentum builds for the Jets making a run at Kirk Cousins
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 20, 2018, 5:53 AM EST
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images
    A report emerged Monday that the Jets will pay “whatever it takes” to land quarterback Kirk Cousins. Brian Costello of the New York Post has tried to make “whatever” more tangible.

Costello explains, based on the beliefs of “many people,” that “whatever” could become a five-year, $150 million offer, with a “good chunk” of it guaranteed. (Some think all of it would be guaranteed.)

One source speculated to Costello that the cash flow may consist of $60 million in 2018. That would represent an increase of $13.8 million over what Jimmy Garoppolo will receive this year under the terms of his five-year, $127.5 million deal. If the full package will have an increased value of $22.5 million over Garoppolo’s, a $13.8 million bump for the first year isn’t out of line with that difference — especially if the bulk of the deal will be guaranteed, anyway.

Costello explains that looming moves (such as the dumping of Muhammed Wilkerson and Matt Forte) could leave the Jets with more than $90 million in 2018 cap space. The Jets could structure the deal to make Cousins count for the full $60 million now, or a signing bonus could push some of that burden to future years.

Regardless, the Jets seem to be in great position to offer Cousins a ton of money. The question then will become whether Cousins is willing to take a little, or a lot, less from a team that he regards as being in better position to win, sooner than later.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is a little misleading. Santana Moss was gone by the time Cousins became the starter. He also played only one year with Alfred Morris. Jordan Reed played in 22 of a possible 48 games. He never had all of those people as a supporting cast at the same time and some of them he didn’t have at all

Edit: and of course the year Cousins became starter, Williams started to play less. Hes played in less and less games in the last three years. 14-12-10

18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

BRAD JOHNSON

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Front load the deal. Get the franchise QB. Be able to escape said deal in 3 years if a younger QB comes along and proves himself and/or Cousins struggles. Win-win-win.

FJF likes this.
  20. Took the words right out of my mouth. They're absolutely desperate to win to the point where their clamoring for a quick fix without even realizing it. I'm sick of fly by night quick fixes that reults in us overpaying 2nd rate vets b.c nobody legit will come here cause they KNOW it's a quick fix.

I'd much rather take my lumps & build something sustainable. It's sad that more Jet fans don't feel the same.