Shoulder pain/ Bursitis what can help ?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by CBG, Feb 20, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Okay Im reaching out to see if you guys have any ideas or anything that worked for you. I had shoulder surgery and I know I need to develop strength in my shoulder again so thats my main problem BUT now I have developed bursitis. Do you guys know of anything that can help ? Shoulder is killing me and on fire, I do NOT want a cortisone shot as I took one 7 months ago and that weakens tendons. I need something to get the inflammation down,,,Doc prescribed Maloxicam but theres lots of issues taking that it can hurt your stomach and is BAD long term for heart and other things,,,,,Im all ears guys and laying here with 2 icepacks on it as I type,,,thanks for any input

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I take Meloxicam for my hip it helps a little bit, been taking it for a year and it hasn't hurt my stomach, CBG

#2 matt robinson 17, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    CBG likes this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Acupuncture. Medical marijuana.

Royal Tee, FJF, stinkyB and 1 other person like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I had hip bursitis. The docs prescribed me 500 mg of naproxen, which is like 3 Aleve, 2x / day. That and ice made it go away in 2 days.

When you ice, you need to be religious about it. 20 min on, 20 min off --- all day.

That being said, I'm actually scheduled to hit up the ortho on March 5th for my left shoulder. Been dealing with problems stemming from pitching in baseball for many years.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Matt how often do u take it, only when u have pain or daily ? How many MG s? I have always had stomach issues thats why Im hesitant also I read up on it and findings say all types of intestine and ulcers also long term says it has been linked to heart attacks and strokes..

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

GQ ,,ice is our friend I have been icing it----but man the nights suck , last night it was killing me and on fire ! GQ good luck, ps I feel your pain !

GQMartin likes this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yep. Thought my hip was broken with that bursitis. Trying to get out of bed in the morning was a joke.

CBG likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ICE is NICE ...... seriously, I have a clay ice pack with a velcro strap to hold in place where it needs to be. Ibuprofren when that's not enough

* I have a 11-3 "SLAP" tear in my labrum, prob some spurs in my AC joint, and my shoulders prob been separated / subluxated over a doz times.... just got back from 2 weeks of surfing on the North Shore of Oahu, but yes, I will eventually have to go the surgical route. I was planning to last winter but had to keep my mobility to repair a hurricane ravaged house :mad:

CBG likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

MAny of the above tips are spot on. Also, when you make you way back to trying to strengthen your shoulder, go slow. small steady gains should be your goal and range of motion should be greater than over all strength.

CBG likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

YES, PT is key!
    lots of exercises with rubber bands and 5 lb weights

Harpua and CBG like this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Stinky a little more insight,,,surgery was over a year ago,,,been doing PT ever since ( FYI for you guys playing along at home I have been thru this before I had 2 previous surgeries on other shoulder years ago so this is nothing new to me ) now that you are are kind of caught up ,,,,,I am waiting for PT to be approved then I will go again,,,I am going to try and get more one on one or hands on with a manual therapist if possible or an OCS because just doing the exercises aint cutting it as I know them all and I recently had an MRI done and I have some other issues not surgical YET but issues that I think can be straightened out with as you said PT,,,,,,now someone just told me about Curamin and I am going to check that out and see if that or something else is the way to go ALONG WITH ICE ICE BABY,,,I have an ice machine as well with the velcro ,thanks for all the replies and feel free to keep them coming ,Im sure others out there are in this same damn boat !

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Sorry to go off topic, but going back to Hawaii, but in the winter, is top of my vacation list. I won't surf, but I want to see those waves and go out and see the whales. Won't happen until my wife retires from her teaching assistant job.

And more on topic, I don't have bursitis, but I do have a torn rotator cuff. The insurance company kept wanting to know how and where I injured it (so they could get someone else to help pay for treatment), but as my orthopedist put it, it was simply that the warranty ran out on my shoulder after 60 years. The PT got most of my mobility back, but the pain comes and goes, and I use ibuprofen for that. Obviously not at the pain level you are, luckily for me.

stinkyB and CBG like this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Statjeff , I used to take Ibuprofen and Advil like they were M n M s,,,,,maybe thats why my stomach now has issues,,,,I try and stay away from all meds if I can , and have done a good job even with pain killers but last night was one of my worst in a while as far as pain. I had put the ice machine in mothballs but that bad boy is now next to my bed ps last night I grabbed an ice packet, and 2 bags of frozen peas and put I'm under my shirt and on my damn shoulder at 3 am,,,,,,,,,,good luck to u , shoulder surgeries are no effing joke ps my gall bladder came out and that was a walk in the park compared to this !!

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Once a day

CBG likes this.
  16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Staying away from surgery at this point - just not worth it given that my pickup basketball career is over anyway (too many 30-to-40-year-olds at the gym thinking that swinging elbows shows how tough they are). I don't take the painkillers too often, and certainly for now I can live with the discomfort. If it makes it more likely I hire someone else to shovel my snow that's okay too.

Red Menace and CBG like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whoever your MDs were with surgery ask them..

If you are not happy go to NYU Medical Center or consult best Ortho Surgeon you can find..

You'll get an answer iam sure..good luck

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It's what we go with at work.

CBG likes this.
  19. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

had labrum repair surgery myself two weeks ago. my patience is already wearing thin, i'm over this goddamn sling

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

its a long haul,,,,,hang in there it takes time,,a lot of time

Red Menace likes this.