Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, a young 30, but still 30, and 21 or 22 is a heck of a lot younger than that.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

No one is leaving out that we still have the 6th pick. The thing is, if we sign Cousins the rebuild is officially over. If you think the Johnsons are gonna pay all that money to Cousins to see the team continue not to make the playoffs, you're living in some kind of fantasy world. In order to even sign Cousins, the Jets would probably have to promise or to even have already signed several other top FAs who are older and more expensive.

So while they still have the 6th pick, and would continue to add talent to the team, they'd be going all in to win in 2018 and 2019. At that point, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets trade the 6th pick with perhaps another pick or two to another team for a top player at a position of need.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

The jets are a young team with not a lot of building blocks on the offensive side of the ball. It's very possible cousins will be 32 or 33 before this young jets team is ready to compete. The jets are a lot more then a Kirk cousins away from competing, which is why many here want to go the Rookie QB route and have him grow with the team.

If you do get cousins you can't half ass it, you absolutely cannot trot out a similar jets team as last year and except success, you need to drown cousins in offensive weapons and give him a reliable o line. You can't waste his first few years here, If the jets get cousins then the ownership and front office has to treat this as a contending team with a 4-5 year window and not as some semi rebuilding semi retooling project

4. NCJetsfan

Statistics have shown that QBs taken high in the 1st round have a much greater chance of succeeding than those taken in lower rounds. I didn't say that it would doom us "forever," just push back the Jets finding and developing their own QB for at least 6 years. You stop acting like the Jets could find another Brady in the 3rd round.

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I can agree with your take on the rebuild to a point but as long as we're keeping all our picks, we are rebuilding organically....might we pay one or two "older" FAs to appease Cousins? perhaps....are we going to do nothing but spend crazily on 35+ year old players and start trading away all our picks a la Tanny? no. And theres no reason to think we would

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm on board with trying to sign Cousins, but they absolutely have to avoid overpaying and sticking themselves with a bad contract that burns the Jets for the next 5 years. They should definitely not just pay whatever it takes. If the Browns want to over pay, then let them, it will only make it that much easier to trade up with them.

I think this article is just speculation. The Jets coming out publicly and saying that would only hurt them and give Cousins more leverage, so I doubt it's even real.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

One thing though, if the Skins DO tag Cousins, the Jets better not give up anything for him. Scout the QBs and let Cousins go through the grievance process

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'd disagree on that personally. enunwa and anderson are capable 1000 yard WRs. kearse is solid if we keep him. hansen has showed potential and again we got money to get another WR as well plus the draft. at RB powell is better then we give credit for and maguire looked great and again draft. RBs aen't hard to find. I like our TEs with ASJ (if he stays) and tomlinson looked good and we have legget coming back who showed potential before getting hurt. what we need really on offense is a QB and o-line. cousins solves the QB thing and we can build the o-line with free agency and the draft. really 2 lineman and another WR and our offense is above average

FJF likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm guessing cousins' agents put this out,

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're stuck in the 20th century. Good quarterbacks today light it up on their rookie contracts; look at what Carson Wentz and Jared Goff just did. Nowadays it's expected that a young QB can produce within his first couple seasons; those who don't almost never become successful anymore. The cap could go down a little but probably not by much. And good quarterbacks want a higher share of the cap than they're getting right now; the cap is going up but not enough to account for what Garoppolo got and what Cousins can get. So even if the cap goes down, QB salaries may go up.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Really? What are the chances that any of them available when we draft become top 10 QBs? 15%? 25%? 35%? Not one of these QBs are as highly regarded as Winston, is he top anything yet? We're ready to toss away 3+ years to find out?

I want a QB that I don't go into every game wondering who shows up that day

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I agree completely. It would be extremely foolish to give up additional assets and still be responsible for the fully guaranteed $34m. Cousins plans to appeal it immediately if they do it and he will win, so I don't see it it happening. If they did, I would want Macc's head on a platter.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Not sure why there is hate about this considering he fits the team well. Mac cant draft QBs and Bowles sees rookies as liabilities. Not to mention he fits our offensive scheme and has rapport with Bates. He IS the best fit to come here.

Although I think he will cost a lot, I think Mac front loads that contract anyway so we pay him out when we have the cap now. We have nearly $100 million and can easily solve the hardest position to get in the game. Its so rare to get a top 15 quality starter in the free agency.

Once the QB is locked up then we can focus at other positions in the draft. Barkley would be my favorite pick, but if not, we could go in other directions as well including trading down. It will be nice to not have to worry about a QB since Pennington.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Spending crazily on 28 year old players is what kills caps and competitive advantage down the road. Those players are very likely to decline after a couple of years and then you just have a dead weight on the cap. Even QB's are not immune to this phenomenon although it is less pronounced than at many positions due to the lack of physical pounding that QB's take compared to most other positions.

Pointing at the QB's who play strongly into their 30's is a mistake because for the most part those are the best of the best who manage to continue to produce at high levels. You also get veteran QB's who were once starter material who are paid to hold a clipboard as a backup and can go well past their expiration date without anybody noticing because they're not on the field. No other position gets paid to stand around on the sideline without active responsibilities in some phase of the game. Even the backup OL have some responsibilities on special teams.

The argument that the Jets can just cut a deal that lets them move on is flawed for two reasons:

1. That's not the kind of deal being proposed. A high money guaranteed deal will be impacting the cap for the duration of the deal.

2. The cap impact is not the only thing that is involved. The Jets will have to find another QB the year that they think Cousins has declined.

Worse yet they may just stay with him because the cap impact is so high that they have no choice. Vinny Testaverde started the 2002 season for the Jets because they could not move on from his cap number at the time. Chad Pennington, who was actually a 1st round pick, sat and sat and sat as Vinny's numbers kept getting rolled into the future so the Jets could add free agents. In a very real way Vinny was a drag on the team at exactly the point that they could have opened a new window after Parcells left.

The Bears sat in misery with Jay Cutler sucking up cap room after they made a similarly ill-advised deal with him, extending his original deal in 2013. His cap figure nearly doubled from $10M to $18M and stayed at elevated levels for years in which the Bears could not win with him at that level. Prior to the extension that made Cutler highly-paid for a QB kicking in the Bears were 32-19 in the previous 4 years. Afterwards they went 12-23 with a QB that had a huge amount of guaranteed money on his deal that extended through the 2016 season.

They couldn't get out of the deal because they had guaranteed Cutler $54M from 2014 to 2016. Cutler didn't decline badly but the team around him did. He became a lightning rod for what was wrong with the Bears and there was no way to change that narrative, which made him not only an expensive QB but also an albatross on the ream's fortunes given the Bears could not just part ways with him.

15. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The way I see cousins talent is he made the pro bowl with a good supporting cast. The jets may not have as good a supporting
    Cast now as he had then but when he did have them he was a pro bowl player. So I feel he has the Tallent to be more than mediocre
    Like many people feel. It may cost the jets a lot of money but they will also benefit by being able to use the #6 Draft pick for a
    Quality player or even trade down And get more picks. One way or another you have to pay, either $ for kirk or #6 on an unproven qb. I prefer to pay cousins. It won't be That bad when there are other qb's up for a contract that top what cousins is making, and 2-3 years from now his contract won't seem that bad.

Also remember kirk has only been a starter for 3 years. I feel he just coming into his prime.
    I feel if he were our qb this past year we would have won 3-4 more games. I feel he would have made the difference
    In some of those close games we lost. Next year With kirk we go 9 & 6. With a rookie we go 4 & 12.
    I say pay the man.

#1495 BudJet, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you answered your own complaint. spending on a 28YO QB isn't like spending on a 28YO RB. many positions in the NFL can play well into their mid to late 30s and Qbs are one of them

cousins has produced for 3 straight years, hasn't missed a snap, hasn't been injured in his career, has made the pro bowl. by all means he is included with the "best of the best" give me a list of Qbs who have better numbers over the past 3 years and haven't missed a game. I'd be surprised if you found even 1 let along 4 or 5 of them.

this is mostly true, however with the stupid amount of money we have, we could front load the deal pretty easily. take a huge hit for 2018 and 2019 and then have him pretty cost effective the rest of the deal, which would also make it easy to move on form him after 3 years or so if we choose to.

BudJet likes this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

According to the media, the Jets would rather pay 30m for a QB than trade up to get one. If this is true, sincerely doubt they trade up for any other position.

In accordance with Maccagnan’s mission statement, the team seems to valuate their draft pick commodities higher than salary cap liquidity.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Hopefully this regime learned from the Knicks in terms of Carmelo Anthony .. and yes that is a fireable offense

Sam Hammer likes this.
  19. Of course missing on a Qb in the draft hurts..no argument there.But it doesn’t immediately hamper an entire rebuild by the sole action of acquiring the QB like is the case w Cousins.

I agree Falk has a 3rd round grade..Rudolph has a late 2nd round grade.But both have the ceilings to be FQB & therefore I strongly believe they’ll go in the mid to late 1st

20. 101GangGreen101

Whoever takes one of those 2 in the first deserve to be fired, their ceilings are very much limited based off their college performances. Here's the QB 5 IMO.

1. Rosen.
    2. Darnold
    3. Mayfield
    4. Allen
    5. Jackson

I don't think Falk has a high ceiling (good fundamentals, accurate, meh arm, check-down machine, walking statue) nor does Rudolph (product of great receivers, questionable ball placement, big 12 defenses), but they will probably go in the late 2nd, early 3rd. I hope we aren't in that boat.

Then again, Falk could become a Cousins in 3 years but I am not taking him in the first 2 rounds. Not the Jets. I guess that would be the ultimate failsafe. Get Teddy, and Falk if things REALLY go south.

GasedAndConfused likes this.