Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If I was Cousins, I would go to the Vikings. It is perfect. Like you said, Great Defense, pretty good offense that he would make great, and a great Coach. Probably have to take a little less but overall worth it if they pay $25 million a year or so. With Denver, they are the better franchise than the Jets, but it is a close call talent and winning window wise. I feel like the Jets are going up, while Denver is going down. Cousins needs to think down the line, not just 2018 when signing a deal. RGIII went from the Skins to Cleveland, so I would hate to keep following his footsteps so the Browns wouldn't be on my list. Jacksonville would be high on my list, but I don't think they can afford him now.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think if i was cousins i would check the afc first. rodgers,wilson,bree,goff,wentz,ryan,newton make the nfc pretty tough. brady,ben and rivers are all year to year at this point, the afc is pretty mediocre and wide open. might be the easier path

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's why I called it a rumor.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

YES!

NOW BREES IS A QB..not a glass of water

#1464 NYJetsO12, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I think you're looking at all wrong. The biggest issue with signing Cousins - aside from cost - is the roadblock he becomes if he doesn't deliver, and by deliver, I mean at least getting them to the SB a time or two. If you're happy with simply getting to the playoffs I can see where you're all about singing Cousins, but if you want a SB, and you have to pay up to $150 million just for the CHANCE, no guarantees, it puts it in a different light. Even if you use some draft picks - or better yet, someone like Wilkerson plus picks - to trade up, even if the QB you take doesn't work out, he's not the huge roadblock or cap hit that Cousins might be.

I'm sure he'll be better than what the Jets have had in a long time, but I'm not sure he's good enough to get a SB win, and that's the goal.

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Watch us break into 2 sides vigorously debating Cousins vs drafting a QB and Mac doesn’t do anything and starts Hackenberg haha.

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is the best solution for everyone involved - including the pro cousins crowd, only with Brees you still have a shot at winning the SB. The guy defies his age and throws for almost 5,000 yards every season.

KurtTheJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep..

And let's make sure we Draft 3 Defensive players for sh*ts and giggles

8 drafts with a boatload on D..including 2 safeties back to back..and going all out on QB...the guy who gets you points is an afterthought..SMH 8x

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I know you were asking Kurt but there are 3 factors IMO.
    1. The level of competition is far greater in the NFL than in any division in college.
    2. QBs are asked to do much less on the college level. Much less required on the mental side.
    3. The players Drafted are still kids , used to Dorm life and little money and most lack maturity as they have been given a pass on everything since high school due to their athletic ability. Suddenly they are millionaires and struggle with the same and money, the off field distractions are more than they can handle. Too much too soon, first time having to be responsible for themselves...

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i've got a bad feeling about this.......can see the jets shelling out over 100 million only to find darnold sitting there at 6.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree 12M for Fitz one year, no strings attached, was not a bad deal after the year he had just prior with the team.

With Revis, he was coming off an excellent season with the Pats (who wanted him back big time), and had an excellent first season with the Jets.
    So it's not like he was showing major signs of regression at the time of signing. He just fell apart in year 2 with the Jets, which was about a year or two earlier than I figured he would (and I assume a year or two before Mac assumed he would).

Neither deal panned out well for the Jets, but neither were out of market value, and neither had us locked in for the long term.

I would try to approach Cousins similarly to Revis, with first 2-3 years fully guaranteed, leaving a team option after 3 years.

GasedAndConfused and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

1) Darnold is a major project not ready to start year 1
    2) Darnold will not get past the Giants
    3) If Darnold did somehow make it to 6, I might take him even if we have Cousins. Injuries happen, and QB's are very valuable commodities

all of the above can be said about Allen as well, who I like more than Darnold.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I actually posted that very scenario. The 2 year extensions give a 3 year window.
    2018 to solidify the offense and put some legitimate talent and protection around Hack. Give him every chance to win. If he does , Mac's a genius. If he doesn't (which is most likely) the roster is much better going into 2019.
    2019 after Hack leads us to a top 2-3 pick if not #1 Mac has his choice of QBs and all his draft picks to further shore up the roster. Still has a ton of cap space to add some FAs.
    2020 all rides on that QB. If the future looks bright, Mac gets a new deal. If not his career ends.

14. FJF

that would be great, trade down to 15, get arizona's next year pick plus some more picks this year. take mcglinchey(sp) with the 15. dream scenario right there

TonyFtLaud and BacktoQueens like this.
  15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

The problem i have with the anti Cousins crowd is they always seem to leave out the fact that if we sign Cousins we have a QB AND the 6th pick! The same crowd rails on about needing to rebuild, which we certainly need to do which is why still having the6th pick is huge! The money is going to be high but the time to spend is now since we have so much cap room. Ill take Cousins and the 6th pick over Mayfield

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

but again, your putting too much stock in 1 game and 1 player. winning a SB is hard!!! seriously. nobody can guarantee it nobody can predict it. even the best QBs are lucky to win 1 or even make 1. Look at cam, we was league MVP 2 years ago? still hasn't made a SB. would you be against the panthers paying him huge when his contract is up? by all means he was rafted 1st overall and hasn't disappointed but he hasn't won a SB and might never win one, but he's still worth every penny and then some. winning a SB takes more then a QB. but a QB is an important piece as well. no QB will singlehandedly win a SB i mean brady who made 8 of them got beat by eli twice who is mediacore and a back-up QB in foles. Brees got knocked out by case keenum. You need a full team. it's the NFL no 1 player wins you a SB. Cousins gives the jets the best chance to win one that we've had in a long time. Do you think allen, darnold, or rosen gives us a better chance to win one in the next 5 years? next 10 years? history has shown there is a 50/50 chance they even make it in the NFL let along win a SB.

as i said before wilkerson and skrine and forte cost us the same as cousins. if we cut those 3 and sign cousins we have the same cap room and our team is much better for it IMO. do you think cousins makes the jets better then skrine/wilk/forte combo? i sure do and they cost the same. You are too invested in the money. the 2 teams that were just in the SB have very little cap room and NE has the benefit of brady being underpaid.

Lets look at it this way, no team in NFL history has ever won a SB sitting on 50+ million of cap room. and they never will. so what's better a bunch of room you never use, or paying players so you can compete?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we didn't overpay fitz at all. he was one of the lowest paid starting QBs in the NFL and was playing a 1 year deal. Mac didn't cave and give him the deal he wanted. Revis also got his value as the top CB in the NFL which he was at the time. nobody expected such a decline in his play. IN hindsight sure it was bad but at the time it wasn't. had revis actually played like revis, nobody would have said a thing about the contract

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

your whole post is based on needing to pick a QB in the top 6 for him to be successful, which we all know is total nonsense. Stop acting like passing on this class of QBS will doom us forever and prevent us from drafting a QB in a couple years in the 3rd round ( just throwing out a number) that could end up being the greatest of all time for all we know.

nicg4360 and FJF like this.
  19. FJF

[​IMG]

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I tend to agree that if Foles can win a superbowl so can Cousins, but it's never just about one player, even at QB. The Eagles team was pretty stacked. Cousins is better than Foles, so I think he could take the Jets to the promised land, BUT the Jets have to surround him with the right talent and improve the oline.

There is no way the Jets give Cousins 5 years guaranteed. That would be career suicide for Macc. He'd be letting it all ride on 00. I could see them guaranteeing the first 2 years and part of the 3rd, similar to the way the Wilkerson contract was done, or maybe have first 3 years guaranteed, but no way they do 5. If that's what Cousins wants, then let him go to the Browns. The Jets do NOT need to get into a bidding war on Cousins. There are other options.

#1480 Sam Hammer, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018