Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. I wouldn't expect you to man..lol...

You're 100% on the Cousins train & have been dating back months. I respect it not trying to change it...just disagree.

My argument is specifically meant to leave out stats due to a prior engagement w. the poster i was responding to. However..I have a hard time equating the stats given the 2 significantly different eras they played in.And if anything N.O had more success in the post season...which maybe isn't a total equalizer but at least makes the discussion a bit more interesting..no?

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Keep in mind when you say Eli and Foles aren't as good as Cousins, you're discounting the fact that they WON on the biggest stage - Eli did it twice. Of course they didn't do it alone, and had good players and coaching, but lots of QBs have had that and not won it, so it's not something to minimize. Cousins MAY achieve that, but he hasn't yet, and may never, so to say that he's better than those two is reaching. And I'm not judging based on SB wins alone, but you were the one that brought that measurement up. You even went on to point out how lots of QBs with good stats haven't won a SB, but keep in mind that Marino and Elway and P. Manning, even without winning a SB would've all been HOF'ers based on OUTSTANDING stats over many years. Again, if Cousins never played another game, his stats built over 3+ years wouldn't get him to Canton, so to claim he's better than half that list, and liken him to Marino, P. Manning, and Elway is overstatement. And yes, I know you didn't say he was as good as those three YET, but you're claiming he might be eventually, which is conjecture.

I'm not saying Cousins is terrible, or that the Jets shouldn't sign him, but they need to look hard at how much he'll eat into the cap and how long. Cousins boosters seem to be willing to write a blank check, and I don't think that's wise since there is no guarantee he'll earn it, and he may turn into an expensive, immovable, roadblock.

3. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

To me, as an analogy, Cousins is Duct tape being used to fix a leaky pipe. Not the perfect solution, but you know how long it'll hold up and what you're getting. The QBs in the draft are drawing tape from a mystery box, where you hope it will do the job, but you have no idea what you're gonna get. It might be the once and for all fix as you stated, but it's hard to say. You might even get some proper Silicone sealant, like a Brady or Rodgers, but odds are really low there.

Personally, in what's considered a deep draft, I'd take the Duct tape and one of the later draws from the mystery box. Maybe Falk or White Brand.

4. ColoradoContrails

Nobody except someone who negotiates with the Jets.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the funny thing is i'm not 100% on the cousins train. People here seem to be split you have to be for him or against him. I'm more then OK going through the draft as well, i just take an objective look at anyway to improve the team. the way a GM would (or should) and not as a fan would. Anyone who would say cousins doens't improve our team instantly is not thinking objectively. Sure there are downsides like he will eat up a ton of cap room, but it's room we have to spend, it's not like we have to rip apart the team or sacrifice to sign him. It also opens the draft up for more possibilities. The only train i'm against is us not signing cousins AND not drafting a QB in the first round. but if we do either i'll be happy.

with that said, i do understand that times have changed but even with that o'donnel isn't close to the QB cousins is. I feel a lot of people severely underrate cousins for some reason. If you even look at brees when he was a FA since he was the last big QB to hit the market, his resume sucked compared to cousins, he also had more flaws (coming off injury, weak arm, small) and yet he went to a shitty NO team and they won a SB and have been competitive since his arrival pretty much. he also broke records and cemented himself in the HOF. now i'm not saying cousins will do that here, but i'm saying there is a much better shot of cousins doing it here, then any QB we would draft. Not to mention we can use that high pick on a different spot that can contribute right away. the chances of any rookie QB bumping our team up form last year is slim and none

6. GasedAndConfused

it's never been done and it's a rumor. you act like mac has given out so many bad contracts. he's been a stickler and never paid over market value yet

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Eh Revis and Cro were pretty bad deals. But I understand why he gave them out at the time. Yea I’m not quite sure why people are ragging on Macc’s negotiation skills. He’s given out good deals and made good trades. Now if only he could scout a damn qb...

Hey, you know how you fix that problem?

8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

And Foles won the Super Bowl. Should we run out and trade for him?
    It's still a team sport. Washington did not have a Run game or D and pretty poor WRs. You have to look at the big picture.
    No QB , wins games on his own , not Brady , not Manning, Montana didn't.
    What do the Jets have alot of? What are the Jets lacking?
    They have Money , lack talent.
    The 6 the pick doesn't get you the top QB, the second or third QB, it gets you the 4th best QB in the draft. With any luck, that QB becomes a starter. Not a FQB , not top 10,12,15 but maybe top 20. With luck.
    Now I know your solution is to throw a bunch of picks at the Colt's to move up for ? The 3 rd best QB , the Browns 1, 1/2 of this year's draft picks, next year's 1&2, 2019 1&3? The success rate for QBs taken in round 1 is under 50 %
    The last 22 QBs taken#1:
    Terry Bradshaw
    Jim Plunket
    Steve Bartkowski
    John Elway
    Vinny Testaverde
    Troy Aikman
    Jeff George
    Peyton Manning
    Tim Couch
    Michael Vick
    David Carr
    Carson Palmer
    Eli Manning
    Alex Smith
    JaMarcus Russell
    Matthew Stafford
    Samantha Bradford
    Cam Newton
    Andrew Luck
    Jameis Winston
    Jared Goff
    How many of them would do well on a roster with little talent.
    Build around the drafted QB with FA talent? By the time he's hitting his prime and ready to get paid, the FAs are also either aged out or due big $. So now you have a QB in his prime, he gets paid, your vets walk and he has no team surrounding him. No depth due to giving away all those draft picks to aquire him. At best, if the stars align, you get a Ravens, Joe Flacco one and done Scenario.
    This is not a team that is a QB away, trading up only works if you have a very solid roster, and what we saw this year from the Rams, Vikings and Eagles, and even the Jags , proves a very solid roster can make an average QB a Super Bowl contender.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

your putting too much stock in 1 game, that's why you can't see it objectively. you mentioned wilson and yet forget he threw a game losing INT in the superbowl. from the 1 yard line on 1st down. Eli did it twice sure but i mean come-on a crazy helmet catch from a nobody on 4th and long or else eli doens't win that game. tyree and the defense were a bigger reason for the win then eli. Stop looking at superbowls and look at 3 years of performance. not many in the NFL compare to cousins over the past 3 years. I never said cousins will be a top 3 QB. i know he isn't. but he is a guaranteed top 10 QB for the next 5 years at least, which is more then you can say for anyone we draft. eli has been a borderline at best maybe top 10 at times QB but really overall pretty medoicre and yet he won 2, which again further proves the point that a better QB like cousins can get a superbowl. just like eli won 2, and dilfer, and foles, and flacco etc etc. he's better then a majority of QBs that won a superbowl over the past 15 years or so , so in other words, good enough

10. GasedAndConfused

it was still market value. hell cro at 8 mil a year with the option out was a great contract. revis was the best CB in the NFL at the time and got paid accordingly. it's not like he paid them way above market and fully guarenteed the whole deals

11. ColoradoContrails

Yes, he's definitely better than anyone since Vinny, and there's no question in my mind that he can likely lead them to the playoffs this year or next, but the question is: Can he take them to the SB and win it? I'm not interested in just making the playoffs, and even just getting to the conf. championship game, I want a SB, period. If Cousins can do that, fine, but while he's piled up good stats he hasn't shown he can win the big game. Maybe that's the fault more of his teammates and coaches, but the Jets are being asked to bet $30 million/year on a blind bet, and if the latest rumors are true, the Jets are offering 5 years guaranteed. What if he isn't good enough to win a SB/ How big of an anchor will his contract be, and therefore how much of a roadblock will be be if they want to try someone else, like a draftee?

No one here is saying he's terrible or chopped liver, us skeptics are more concerned that he'll cause more damage long term than even missing on a high draft causes.

12. The problem is...any of the mystery box contestants w. "legit adhesive properties" based on the information we have(FQB Potential if you will) aren't going to make it out of round 1. The QB position has become so crucial to long term success in the NFL that GMs simply aren't leaving it up to chance on draft day; if the player has any hope of developing into a starter & a long term fixture they're going in round 1. I highly doubt Falk makes it out of round 1.

Additionally..we've gone down the "wait till later in the draft" route many times over. Hack,Geno,Petty,Brooks Bollinger, Chuckie Clements,Tajh Boyd,Erik Ainge hell even Kevin O'Connel all say hi.

One way or another the position isn't getting fixed w.o some risk attached. Some folks like Cousins... I like the draft b.c even if the QB fails..it doesn't disrupt the true rebuild already underway. That to me is the most important thing. Build a complete, deep legit roster the right way. In my opinion the duct tape changes the entire plumbing system

13. TonyFtLaud

That I will agree on. He is less of a gunslinger, and has much better #s starting out than Favre with much lesser talent. Plus I doubt he will be sending out Dick pics...:p

FJF likes this.
  14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And he probably has no chance of making the HOF either..you forgot that part.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

See Geno Smith and Derek Carr. It set the franchise back not to draft Carr, cause Geno failed. You continue to waste time and resources. Perhaps it's not the same as the big $$$ days with Bradford and Russel, but it can still hurt the franchise. It will hurt the rebuild.

BTW Falk is not a first round QB, he's a 3rd to 5th round QB.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

Consider the source of the rumor. I think Cimini has a username on this board along with Mheta and the get together at night, suck each each off after reading the threads and hysteria they create on here with their bullshit story's.

17. ColoradoContrails

Does Darrell Revis ring a bell? How about Fitzpatrick?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

Depends where he ends up. He has as much chance, in fact a much better chance than whoever we draft at 6.

19. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Fair enough. If we don't get Cousins, I'm more than happy to try and build around whichever QB we go for in the draft. My biggest worry is we'll be left with the scraps barring a trade up, which in and of itself makes it harder to build that deep legit roster around the QB you trade up for.

While the Jets have been bad at finding a franchise QB in any round, I'm also skeptical of any of the scouting departments getting it right and drafting the best QB in the first round. The miss rate is ridiculously high at the position. Do all teams just under-invest in scouting overall, or is the jump from college to NFL just that alien and unknown? I don't watch any college ball really, so I'm pretty uninformed in that area.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Fitz deal wasn’t bad. One year $12 mil for a backup who was a serviceable starter made more than enough sense.

Never liked the Revis deal though because it was clear the island was well on its way to closing.