Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

NYJFOREVER and Attackett like this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They won't get Cousins, Denver will if they want him and then Buffalo will trade up and the Jets will be content with Hackenshit as their QB for another year.

3. FJF

[​IMG]

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not a big fan of long term, fully guaranteed contracts. 1 year? Fine. But 4-6 years? Mac should be fired if he does that. That's way too long and could wreck our salary cap for years.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Either the Jets don't think there's anyone who will be available at 6 will be a better option than Cousins OR, they have ZERO faith in Macc and don't trust his drafting acumen when it comes to QB's. Cousins does provide plenty of other upgrade paths via the draft and if they get creative with the contract, it won't be too painful. On the fence with the completely guranteed contract as injuries happen often in this league and it would be the Jets luck if Cousins gets himself injured and the Jets get stuck even with the insurance. The good thing in all of this is we'll see if Macc has learned anything at all over these last several years. He'll either make his mark as a GM or sign his exit papers. Time will tell.

GQMartin likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'll be clear. I'm pro Cousins but completely guaranteeing his entire contract (operative work "entire") would be brain dead.

Maybe the Jets will included the highest guaranteed portion of a contract ever which is a different story.

Cidusii, FJF, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The QBs in this draft don't have to be "can't misses." While Cousins almost certainly wouldn't be a "bust" with the Jets, he could suffer a career-ending injury in his first snap of TC. Even if he stays healthy, at 30 his skills could start deteriorating badly overnight. I think the notion that just because a couple of sure-fire HOF QBs have played very well into their mid- and late-30s, that all QBs can do that, is utter nonsense and delusional.

Even if Cousins can stay healthy and last into his mid 30s, that means he can only give the Jets probably 6 seasons. One of the young QBs could bust or struggle early, but he could also develop into a quality starter who could play for the Jets for 15 seasons. That is the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. The idea is to achieve long-term success and sustainability, not short-term success. The Jets are also in the middle of a rebuild. In order for them to sign Cousins, they would probably have to commit to signing several other older, expensive FAs and go all in on 2018, and for all intents and purposes, the rebuild would be over. That is not the right or smart thing to do imo. I get why you and others want Cousins, but imo it's simply not the best thing for the team/franchise.

GQMartin likes this.
  8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Oh well, forgive me for not reading all of your long, drawn out post which proves absolutely nothing other than your belief that a guy that's never won anything of note is going to join a team with far less talent than the Redskins and transform it into a Juggernaut.

But the emphasis of your post remains getting to the playoffs as though that's some sort of feat? It means nothing. What means everything is looking at the biggest picture and seeing where a guy like Cousins ultimately puts you. He puts the Jets in mediocrity and never gets them any farther. He's also insanely overpriced. He also undoubtedly gets Mac and Blowes fired because ultimately Kirk Cousins is simply not good enough to get the Jets to win a SB.

The much better,safer, and cheaper solution is to draft a QB in a great QB rich draft and sign a short-term QB stopgap with a proven resume like Brees (and unlike Cousins).

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

THIS would be dumb. If we pay a ridiculous amount of money for Cousins, we will look like a joke. Been there, done that, not eager to go back to those days.

Hell, screw what you think KC brings to the table, look at the rest of this roster. We are very much, still, in rebuild mode.

Paying that much money handicaps what we can do for the overall roster, being all in on an older QB in the league, with an above average skill set, isn’t going to do the rest of the roster any favors.

If he was a guy that elevated the play of others around him, it could work, (maybe) unfortunately, KC isn’t that guy.

Toooo many fans with those blinders on.

Sigh...

#1429 IIMeanDeanII, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Teams who could get Cousins Cap Space:
    Browns- $110 Million
    Jets- $73 Million
    Vikings-$49 Million
    Broncos-$27 Million
    Jaguars- $17 Million

So Denver is definitely in the mix, but not really able to get into a bidding war I would say. They can shed salary, but the Jets can too. The Browns on the other hand, could offer Cousins way more than anyone else if they wanted. That would make things interesting. I guess he would have to accept if they offered him $35 million or $40 million a year, right?

Cousins is not old though. He is going to be 30 and it is a young 30 at that. Only 3 full seasons starting. Much less wear and tear than a usual 30 year old QB.

dogg and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Can a mod consolidate Cousins threads please? It’s hard to go through 3 different threads to debate the same topic.

Thanks

FJF likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Name me some QBs that eroded on skillsets at 30...
    QB is not RB, unless it is a running QB of course ;).

I think the trend has favored QB's getting even better at 30.
    it's prime for the position.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  13. FJF

See I disagree with this. Being all in with an above average qb is going to to do the rest of the roster huge favors. D can play a little looser, pass game will be better, run game won’t have to deal with stacked boxes. Big dividends vs trying to bring along a qb getting ojt

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't see it as even close. niel odonnel never had 1 year nearly as good as cousins did 3 years in a row.

15. FJF

Stats show qbs having their best years around 30. From stars having big years like payton did to journeyman like Gannon having breakout years in Oakland. 30 is where the brain and the physical skill match up for qbs

Martin&theJETS and BacktoQueens like this.
  16. BacktoQueens

I believe the Vikings are the biggest threat to sign Cousins. Would be a great fit for Cousins, plenty of offensive talent, and a top D in league.
    Major upgrade over Keenum imo, and it's time they move on from Bradford who can't stay healthy.
    I really like the Vikings, but man that would hurt as they draft after us anyway.

Big Cat and FJF like this.
  17. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Jets willing to pay whatever it takes to land Cousins

vomit :/

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

As I’m sure you know, QBs tend to hit their prime in their 30s. Even middle 30s now days. While Brees might have the proven track record, he had to peak in order to reach that point.

Do you wanna know when Brees hit his peak? After he hit the FA and signed a long term deal with the Saints. He too also was criticized as not being able to reach the Super Bowl.

A team took a chance on him, even after a SIGNIFICANT injury, and it paid off. Brees had 1 playoff start when he hit the FA. But he was highly touted, even after his injury, because of his production.

Good thing the Saints realized that QBs often become better with AGE and that the sky was the limit for him. They took a chance on a QB that proved he could hold his own in this league and they recognized that he can’t be asked to do everything himself. They also realized that QBs like him don’t hit the open market. That is proven because the last QB to hit FA like this was Brees in 2006.

Just for reference:

Drew Brees: 30-28, 62% 12,348yds, 80 TDs, 53 INTs

Cousins: 26-30-1, 65.5%, 16,206yds, 99 TDs, 55 INTs

Brees has made the playoffs 6 times with the Saints in the last 12 years. They have only made it to the conference championship twice, and only the Super Bowl once. Sounds pretty average in the playoffs to me. But, he has made them competitive and increased their chances by making the playoffs roughly every other year.

Brees and Cousins are identical when they hit the FA. In fact Cousins is statiscally better, but it is more of a passing league. Cousins has also had much shittier teams and he has 0 history of injury. Especially not a complete tear of his Labrum and Rotator Cuff...

You would probably have been drastically against bringing in Brees in 2006 for many of your said reasons with Cousins. But the Saints took a chance on a proven starter that can get the job done. It paid off.

All Gas No Shake, nicg4360 and FJF like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mayfield or Cousins? Easy decision. Take Cousins. More easier then taking Leonard Williams or Jamal Adams.

20. BacktoQueens

you can't guarantee 5+ years at that amount.
    the team needs a little wiggle room in the event of injury, regime/system change, etc..

maybe guarantee 80-90M max, with no signing bonus, essentially making the first 3 years guaranteed leaving a team option after that.
    I'm ok guaranteeing his prime seasons at 30-32 years old.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.