Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I say if we sign Cousins we trade down if the opportunity presents itself.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Or get him his LT

3. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

And If by some glory of God Barkley is there.. you take him, sign him to 10 years, make him the captain, offer him your daughters and never look back

dogg likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

@Mainejet

#1404 Martin&theJETS, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I don’t get how you can think a QB is worth $25M but not $30M. What are you going to do with that extra $5M that’s worth more than a franchise QB. Ben Ijalana is making that figure this year. God forbid we can’t keep our backup tackle because we spent a little extra money to land a proven QB.

jonnyd, The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Please find where I assumed you never played ball. Not getting that one. Yes, I said that to compare NO to Cousins says you never saw him play. Because it's not an opinion, they are two different QBs. Opinion that they are the same isn't an opinion, it's wrong and all the proclaiming that it means I'm intolerant of another opinion is just as wrong. They're 2 different types. It's not a matter of credibility. The only similarity is they're young, available and nothing more. You ignored that Vinny was more of a similarity but hey, he was successful here so stay away from that one. Top taking someone who doesn't agree with you and try and turning it into more than it is. I can respect someone's opinion even when I disagree. Not agreeing that these two are alike doesn't make anyone stupid. I said it was a healthy debate, how that becomes some who is intolerant to others opinions is beyond me.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we were strapped for cash I’d understand it.

We aren’t. Not even a little bit.

PennyRoyal10, Big Cat and FJF like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Stat wise easily half that list

not just pure stat wise, manning is retired. eli isn't close to as good as cousins. neither is foles. I think him and wilson are about even (and remember wilson threw the game losing INT in the superbowl)

also look at surrounding talent. no 1 player wins a superbowl. How many has matt ryan won? and he's got a good team around him and he's a dam good QB. You can't judge any 1 player on SB wins alone. not in a team game like the NFL. by that account joe flacco is better then dan marino. obviously that's not true. even elway didn't win one until the end of his career and he was still considered one of the best. how many times did peyton manning "choke in the playoffs" before winning one?

9. GasedAndConfused

I really don't want rosen, allen , or mayfield. I'd prefer darnold or jackson personally at this point. I also wouldn't mind if we took a flyer on furgeson in the later rounds (round 5-6)

10. GasedAndConfused

it's nonsense and will never happen. nobody gets a fully guaranteed contract unless it's like 1-3 years.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep, and you can't blame them. Front office royally screwed it up by franchising him 2 years in a row instead of just working out a contract.

LF911SC likes this.
  12. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

What happens if he gets franchise tagged??? ESPN reporting now that the Redskins may tag him. Are we really willing to trade assets when we can get a fqb at 6???

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is a great point, @Big Cat. Get your QB. Bottom line. Mo is getting cut too. That saves a lot. Factor that in and the Jets will still have plenty of Cap space even if Cousins counts $30 mil against the Cap.
    Not going to happen. Could have, but trading for Smith shows the Skins are not keeping Kirk.

I get that point. You want a proper, long term, rebuild. Cousins definitely changes that.

nyjrkm06 likes this.
  14. Sam Hammer

If Josh McCown can keep the Jets competitive in almost every game, even against playoff teams, then logically Cousins would take us much further and put us over the top in many of those games. The Jets don't necessarily need an elite QB to have success, just a solid one that limits turnovers, and Cousins is that guy. Yeah, he's no Favre / Brady / Brees, but he's much better than the scraps we are use to, plus the Redskins are an ongoing joke, I feel he would have more success with the Jets provided they committed to surrounding him with playmakers and a sturdy oline.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather go the draft a QB route, but people are dismissing Cousins as if he's not better than any QB we've had on the Jets since Vinny T, excluding the one year of Favre.

LF911SC, FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  15. I was playing off of your "Take the ball & run away" metaphor. No need to further dissect.

My point has never been to call N.O the same player as Cousins..but they are similar LEVEL players becoming free agents at similar stages in their career.

But I've already stated this many times over...seems pretty self explanatory but you continue to misunderstand. So...I'll oblige. How exactly are Neil O'Donnel & Cousins that much different? Neil was a 6'3 228 pocket passer w. decent pocket presence,decision making & release.Kirk Cousins is a 6'3 210 Lb pocket passer w. good pocket presence,decent decision making & a quick release. Both were not originally intended to be the starters of their respected teams but earned their way due to the incumbents in front of them(RG3 & Bubby Brister) falling off for whatever the reason. Both are entering FA & are demanding rates of pay that don't equate to the production they bestowed up to the given point of free agency.Now I'll grant you Cousins is alittle more accurate on short throws, while N.O was better on deep throws. Cousins a better fit in WCO while N.O the Ron earhardt system who was his OC in Pittsburgh as well as w. the Jets when he signed(Sound familiar?)Both are top 15 QB's looking to...and likely WILL be paid top 5 money!

No it's not apples to apples...but the situations are damn similar. The only argument I've seen you make contrary to this is based on stats. The stats are the furthest thing from apples to apples given the drastically different eras of football. Further you said in a prior post that you didn't want it to be about stats.

So physically they are similiar, in level of play they are similiar, and the timeframe they are becoming free agents is similiar, and the Jets situation heading into their free agency periods is similiar.What am i missing here??

Vinny I don't include in the argument b.c he wasn't anywhere CLOSE to approaching the rate of pay that N.O and Cousins got/will get & he was originally signed here to be Glenn Foley's back-up!!

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I still disagree and think your reasoning is off. Cousins will be so high paid because he was tagged twice and has had what, 3-4 straight seasons throwing over 4,000 yards. If the Jets draft a young QB, the chances are very slim that even if he's very good and starts right out of the gate, he isn't going to throw for over 4,000 yards per seasons for the first 4-5 years of his career. Yes, Cousins contract could reset the QB market, but then again, it may not. If he's (Cousins) true to his word and puts winning over big $s and signs with a team that pays him a lot less than $30-$34 million per season, then the market isn't gonna be reset. Also, if NFL viewing continues to drop, the league will get less money from the next TV contracts, and the cap could, and probably would go down, meaning that QB salaries would have to go down as well.

The QB the Jets draft (if his career arc winds up being anything close to the norm) could wind up sitting his first half season, or maybe his entire rookie season, start but struggle a bit early his sophomore season, then start showing real progress towards the end of the season, then play very well his 3rd and 4th seasons. That contract isn't gonna set any records or be more than $30 million per year. Even if he started out of the gate, Peyton Manning struggled badly his rookie season. I don't think any of the QBs in this draft would likely do much, if any better, than Manning with the Jets in 2018, and unless the Jets have truly fixed the offense by 2019 and replaced Bowles with a quality HC, could still struggle even though he's a topnotch player.

17. Sam Hammer

Well, the Jets basically have a choice. Either you trade up and fill more holes in FA, or you sign cousins and fill more holes via the draft. It kind of balances out, but even if the team temporarily loses picks it can be well worth it if you find your guy. When the Eagles traded up for Wentz, many people thought they were being ridiculous but since it worked out it looked genius.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins is a godsend for the Jets, not sure why anyone would be against it. For a team that has been so desperate for a QB for so long to have a ready made QB that you only need to throw cash at during a time that the Jets have an over abundance of cash is just about the luckiest thing that has happened for this franchise.

What Mac does with the remaining 70mil or so and high draft picks will tell the story of what the Jets will become during the Cousins era but signing Cousins is a no brainer.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What blank check?

Cousins' compensation will be commensurate and directly in-line with the increasing QB contracts signed around the league.

There is no secret to what Cousins will be paid because there is a formula to the contract. If this ____ then that___ .

More likely than not, Cousins' compensation will briefly enable him to be referred to as the "highest paid QB in history" -- which sounds sexy for mouse clicks but in reality it just means business as usual for an ever growing NFL. Don't get caught up in the mouse click headlines.

Cousins' contract will be eclipsed by another QB very soon just as he eclipses Carr.

Also, with the growing salary cap, the $30M hit will be essentially the same as a $15-20m hit when the cap was tens of millions of dollars smaller a few years ago.