Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I only hope that the Jets don't bid against themselves to sign Cousins.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m good with this. Just protect the guy and get him another weapon.

Chrisiue likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate, but that is the market rn. Any QB with the potential to be a top 10 QB is going to get paid like this for the foreseeable future. IF the Jets had a history of successfully drafting QBs, then it might be a foolish move. However, we are terrible at drafting and developing QBs. Kirk gives us the best chance to be competitive and to make the playoffs.

We are running up on 8 years of not making the playoffs... if we draft a QB at #6 (which will probably be the #3 or #4 QB taken in the top 10), we will probably not make the playoffs in his first two years. If Mac and Bowles go 6-10 for the next two years, they are both unemployed and we have to start all over. Then the young QB, who had to deal with those jackasses, is going to be faced with a change of scenery almost immediately into the league.

The safest bet is Cousins and provides this franchise with stability and a guaranteed floor depending on injury. If we land Cousins, we instantly become a playoff contender. With the way this team is being built, the window is starting to open. Why would we not want Brees 2.0? Do we really want Josh Allen or Baker? Do we want those growing pains for the next 2 years and then having to clean house and start from square one? The FO's vision, approach, and what they have been preaching could go down in flames by rolling the dice at #6. If Rosen or Darnold were there, then you pull the trigger. But, I would be willing to bet that there is less than a 20% chance that Rosen or Darnold falls to #6.

Kirk absolutely gives us the best chance to stop being a joke in this league. He undoubtedly gives us the best chance to potentially reach a superbowl than any other option at this point. That is the goal and that is how Bowles and Mac can keep their jobs. The top 4 highest paid QBs in the NFL have practically no playoff experience and they certainly do not have a Super Bowl appearance, let alone a win.

With the way the NFL has been working (especially the AFC), a vast majority of teams do not have the privilege to have reached a Super Bowl. However, it is all about giving your team the best shot. Kirk does that for us. He can end the drought of no playoffs and maybe beyond. There is absolutely nothing to lose by locking up a borderline top 10 QB. Especially when we have a fuck ton of cash on hand.

The best way to reach a Super Bowl is to be a playoff contender year in and year out. If you can do that, you'll eventually make the Super Bowl. The first steps we need to take are to be in the playoff conversation every god damn year. Kirk instantly does that for us. How many QBs have made the conference championship game within their first 5 years? A significantly small percentage. Compound that with the fact that SO MANY QBs bust, Kirk provides us with the highest ceiling for the foreseeable future. With the way the FO's contracts are set up, our cap space, and the youth of our roster, it is time to stop dicking around and make the god damn playoffs. That is what Kirk can do for us.

#1363 Martin&theJETS, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    dogg, NYJalltheway, FJF and 4 others like this.
  4. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

I really am not getting any of this anti Cousins talk, take a look at his team last year, so-so receivers, a running game where a guy named Pegron was the best he had, losing the starting tight end for most of the year, continuing to make use of tight end Davis for most of the year, a offensive line that was obliterated most of the year.
    He still figured out a way to throw for over 4000 yds.
    If they sign him and are able to get Barkley for play action passes I see this guy being a great deal, pay him sign him or go for a guy like Bridgewater or Taylor.
    I could easily be dead wrong but the hyped QBs in this draft don’t look like can’t misses to me.

dogg, Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you think Cousins' contract won't reset the quarterback market you're being naive. Look at what Garoppolo got even though the 49ers could have franchise tagged him. Age has nothing to do with Brad's argument. He's saying that an expensive quarterback isn't worth it. If anything according to Brad our QB being younger would be worse because we'd be stuck with his contract longer. I'm also not saying Brad is wrong, though I think he is. But if he's right we shouldn't give an expensive contract to any non-elite QB, even if he's our own. And it sounds a lot less palatable when you think of it like that.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Two QBs couldn't be more unlike each other. The only similarity is they're available. It's a lazy mans comparison, we made a mistake with NO therefore Cousins will be a mistake. 25 years later, what's demanded from the position being completely different today. Toss in injury issues with NO and somehow one has anything to do with the other, both being eerily similar? No way. How anyone would ever claim to seeing both QBs proudly stating that a QB who once in his entire career topped 3,000 yards is eerily similar to a QB who has never thrown below 4,000 yards as a starter. 17 tads to 27 on average, 57% comp to 66%. They're nothing alike so yeah, I assume you never saw both play with adult eyes. That's not meant as an insult, just can't for the life of me see the similarities to them. Probably make a better case that he's more like Vinny with the Ravens.

The fact for Cousins is that he's a top 8-10 QB, no matter how many times people try to knock him down for having the misfortune of playing really well for a shit team and then blaming the QB for the teams lack of tal not and then injury history. People ignore that he lost 11 starters to the offense and stil produced. Add in that if we're not getting one of the top 2 QBs in the draft we're getting a QB with tons of questions, not one guarantee that without a huge amount of luck he'll be as productive as Cousins, nevermind the mythical "higher upside" that people recite like a broke record as if fact. Ignoring the one given fact, that a drafted QB will more than likely bust.

#1366 LF911SC, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree Mac must take a chance this off season,signing Cousins is the worst decision he could make. He's MUCH safer drafting a top notch talent at 6 and signing a veteran stopgap. Drew Brees would be an excellent choice, WAY better than Cousins. Cousins is NOT a stopgap. His price is way too much to be a stopgap. Signing Cousins is a do or die situation because of the money involved. Signing a veteran like Brees gives you a proven SB resume for multi millions less. Mac MUST take a QB in the draft that he plans to groom for when Brees decides to hang it up for good.

There's also a plethora of other very valid reasons why Mac shouldn't go near Kirk Cousins. The best you can hope for with Kirk Cousins is MEDIOCRITY.

8. Well you can assume anything you like..I'll just place you on ignore & wish you a nice day.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think the fully guarantee is a sentiment to Cousins saying: "You're our ride or die."

Think Cousins just wants to be wanted again...am I right married folks?

I just can't imagine fully guaranteeing $150m+ - plus I read somewhere that a substantial amount of that money is paid up front and the injury rate in the NFL is 99.9%...

ColoradoContrails and LF911SC like this.
  10. LF911SC

Choice is all yours. Some people just can't handle a healthy sports debate, insisting others just agree. Guess it's either your way or the highway and if I don't agree you'll take your ball and run away.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't think Cousins is a bad QB but I also do not think he is worth the money. If they overpay it will be a mistake,,,,team has many holes to fill and to overpay Kirk Cousins is a mistake....

tiger8mush likes this.
  12. LF911SC

This makes so little sense on every level.

NYJalltheway, FJF and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This entire post is trash. What's worse is all the suckers that are in lock step with you?

The goal is not to make god damn playoffs?! It is to WIN THE SB. What part of this do you not understand? What part of all of the other little munchkins not understand?

The job is NOT to make the playoffs. That's Herm Edwards BS line. The job is to win the god damn SB and ANYTHING less is called SHIT. The sooner you embrace that fact is the sooner you realize Kirk Cousins gets you nothing better than MEDIOCRITY, or shall I say making the playoffs as a wild card?

14. LF911SC

The real trash is your insistence that signing Cousins means you don't want or can't win a SB with him. You would think this years playoffs and SB would have taught you something. But no, a top 10 QB can't win a SB when you're selling something different

FJF likes this.
  15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Could be great if they also land Barkley in the Draft. Sign some OL FA's.

dogg and Jets81 like this.
  16. Hmm..funny cause there are countless folks on here whose opinion differs from mine...including on this very issue..yet we are able to have healthy debate free of insults & disrespectful "Assumptions".

You've twice now assumed I haven't seen both players solely b.c you don't like my position on the argument. You've done the same thing to other folks on here just as well.Seems like if I don't agree with you...you assume I've never "Played ball" before or just create a "new ball" all together that fits your prerogative.

You can disagree w. me all day..everyday. I'm totally fine with it. But don't question my credibility solely cause you don't like my position. After all couldn't I just accuse you of not seeing both players just the same?

While my comparison was an original thought...the notion has been raised by several other posters on here as well as the media. So why not stop acting like it's completely out of left field or totally unreasonable. There's obviously similarities between the 2 situations or folks wouldn't repeatedly raising the notion on their own accord.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Only within the Jets fan base can the safest option be drafting a complete unproven quarterback and handing big bucks to a proven top 10 to 12 quarterback while having about $100 million to spend is the worst possible thing you can do.

dogg, FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. Only within the Jets fan base are folks so desperate for a marginal level of success & so filled w. impatience that a 30 year old top 15 QB is anointed as the savior when he's accomplished nothing but mediocrity.

But hey..give the man a blank check..guarantee the whole deal! Wildcard here we come!! More like 4-12...but hey...at least we'll be offseason paper champs...AGAIN

Mainejet likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Link to posts where people called him the savior please.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep, people make you scratch your head on this site. $30 million a year is steep, but it solves the biggest problem in the NFL. So worth it if you asked me. Could Darnold, Rosen, Allen or Mayfield turn out better and cost less than Cousins? Yes. Risky though. They could turn out much worse too. So signing Cousins is by far the safest route to me and fastest path to winning games.

dogg and Leicester Jet like this.