Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are missing the point Tony...Cousins is NO BRETT FAVRE

2. NYJetsO12

You have every right to be worried..

Blowes and Mac expect a couple of more years of 9-7 with KC will save their jobs..

This thing gets to be a save yourneck deal for the FO and CS and a screw job for the fans

#1342 NYJetsO12, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You should check out Favre’s numbers in his years leading up to being a Jet. You’re right, Cousins is no Brett Favre. If you make the fair comparison, he’s better.

FJF likes this.
  4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Well, neither do I. We all want what's best for the team. There hearts are in the right place. But it still doesn't mean what they advocate wouldn't turn out to be a truly dumb move.

Honestly, my COMPROMISE would be the following and I do believe this is compromise for both sides of this argument while still keeping the Jets out of financial harm:

Word has it Drew Brees COULD be a FA. Speculation already says on NFL network this morning that if Bree's is available, the Jets and Browns would both be possible destinations.

Why not sign Brees as that short-term stopgap ( no more than 2 to 3 years) AND draft a top notch QB talent at 6 to develop?

The Jets would be in the Best shape possible. They will not have to spend some insane amount as they would for Cousins and Brees has a legitimate SB resume.

Both sides of this argument get that instant return from QB like we all would love to see AND we have hope for the future in the form of Mayfield/Rosen/Allen on the team and working to get their chance and they get to learn from a guy who will be sticking their SB ring in their face and telling them, "listen to me young Skywalker."

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) saying 150 million doens't mean anything. it's a per year value no total value. you can give him 150 million over 10 years and he's underpaid. also his past is a pro bowl WB who throws for 4k yards every year (almost 5k one year when he had decent WRs) 25+ TDs and a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio. IDK what more you can ask for from your QB

2) yes i'm 100% behind the proven pro bowl QB.

3) He's better then a lot of Qbs that have won SBs in the past 10 years

Jets_Grinch and FJF like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

The sooner Free Agency over the better....will have QB situation a lot clearer

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're saying he's better than Brady, P. Manning, E. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlesberger, Wilson, Foles? WIthout himself having won anything? That sounds more like wishful thinking.

I do think that the Johnsons share your like of Cousins, and while I'm still on the fence about whether it's the best choice for them, I sure hope they don't guarantee more than 3 years of any contract they give him, and the latest rumor is that they're willing to guarantee 5 or more years which is stupid, but definitely fits with the SOJs way of doing things.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Brees is a shell of himself outdoors, especially as his age keeps going up

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's as much an NFL qb as Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.

I wouldn't mind facing Allen or Mayfield, but Jackson and the other 2 scare me if they were in the division.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Definitely agree that, from Cousins' perspective, the Vikes are the best fit to win now. Cousins will get paid. If he can get paid and win (easily), he'll definitely pick that. Over the next three years, the Vikes' cap situation remains strong: 49M, 79M, 114M. Conceivably, the Vikes could sign him for a contract that has a large signing bonus, or balloons in the second and third years, with guarantees.

One thing that might actually play into the Jets' advantage is that they're in the AFC East. Like the NY real estate market, the Pats bubble remains due for a correction. The Bills one-year ascent may just be an anomaly. And Mike T runs the Fish. Compared against the NFC North, which have Rodgers and the Pack, the surprisingly-decently managed Lions, and what's-left-of-the-Bears. Although the Viking's roster is very, very talented and setup for long-term success, they also face off against stronger competition. The Jets are a blank slate against a declining juggernaut and other identity-less franchises. Maybe it's a wash?

From the Jets' perspective, I see the logic both in going with Cousins, and in building through the draft. Whichever the FO choses, I'm preparing myself for the worst. If they sign Cousins, despite past performance, he'll play like O'Donnell or get horribly injured. If they go draft a QB, they'll pick a guy who'll bust, whereas the Pats/Raiders/Steelers will get someone in the fifth round who'll end up going to the HOF. Assuming failure, I'd prefer that the Jets draft a QB because it's more realistic to recover from missing on one draft pick, than it is to move a 150M contract with 60M-90M guaranteed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. This was the exact scenario I outlined as ideal before 17 season was even wrapped up.its the ultimate compromise & the best of both worlds.We get some immediate return & don’t sacrifice long term potential for a short term wild card run.

Problem is,a large portion of the Cousins crowd want above all else to Cross QB off the needs list & simply move on to another position in the draft.Kinda funny that we’ve been desperate for a QB for so long & folks aren’t even willing to do the hard right to fix it once & for all.

NYJetsO12 and Mainejet like this.
  12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Great to hear. Having Cousins start for the foreseeable future is the best thing for this team. It will keep the continuity of the team on track and it will allow for some QBs to be groomed on the bench. Have Hack and a day 3 QB sit the bench for the next several years. By the time Cousins' contract is up, we either resign him or we let one of the bench guys take over. We could then also trade the farm at that point to move up to select a QB.

Chrisiue and FJF like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is the biggest reason why I prefer the Jets take a QB in round 1 and build around whomever that QB is, preferably Rosen or Darnold. If a trade up is required, patch as many glaring holes in free agency with young in their prime or entering their prime players. Guys like Richburg at C and Robinson at WR come to mind.

14. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

If Mac does this, it will be this decision that will be cited as the pinnacle reason for his firing. Depending on the Jets success that may delay the inevitable, but make no mistake what their best case scenario is. The very best the Jets can hope for with Kirk Cousins is MEDIOCRITY and nothing better. It could also be disastrous depending on how bad we think our offensive CS is? Blowes is a bad HC that has no idea about how to run an offense. So that deserves mentioning.

But no matter how you slice it Kirk Cousins is a complete rip off knowing how much you'll have to pay him. You're not even getting a top 10 QB, but you're sure as hell paying for one. Based on the exorbitant percentage of salary cap he will soak up it will hamstring the teams ability to go after other need FA's. Most of all, the Jets will NEVER win a SB with Cousins.

You heard it here first.....

15. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I don't see it that way - if they get a high draft pick QB Mac and Bowles would probably be given a larger window to develop the QB - but if you give 150 million dollars to one player, I as an owner would demand results immediately

FJF likes this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Except Seattle signed the wrong guy. Lucky for them, they found a very underrated player in the draft to compensate. There is absolutely no evidence the Jets can or will do the same.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Make it happen Mac

Big Cat likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Aside from Mac being fired if Cousins flops, I couldn't disagree more with the rest of this post.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Huh? Strong disagreement. I have said this before: There are many ways Mac can get fired. He has to take a chance this year though. If it's Cousins, or Darnold, or Rosen, or Allen, or Mayfield, etc. All of them can cost him his job or get him a 10 year extension. That is how football works.

The Redskins defense has been pathetic. It's offense was pathetic this year too. Football is a team sport. Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers can barely carry teams to Super Bowls, so I don't get why Cousins gets so much grief for making a terrible Redskins franchise actually play decently the last few years.

NoodleArm, Cidusii, FJF and 2 others like this.