Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. I really don't blame any one for wanting cousins per se... I don't agree with it..but I get it..

But the blind rationalization is just jaw dropping. There's no need for them to put Cousins on some silly pedestal or make it like the Redskins are 1990's Prairie View A&M holding Roger Staubach hostage.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Here's the scenario, you sign Cousins, draft Chubb at 6, RB rd 2, Center, then address depth at other positions. I see a 3 year window for a SB. Windows don't tend to be long anyway. Cousins will be part of his most talented team. He did win the division with the Redskins.

Take a flyer late and allow Cousins and Bates to create some sort of offensive philosophy for the next qb. Choice between Mayfield at 6 or Cousins, I'll take Cousins each time.

FJF likes this.
  3. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Although cousins is the more expensive option I do like having the opportunity to grab an extremely talented pass rusher or Barkley and have a top 10 QB already in the mix out of the gate for next year. Even a 2nd round RB this year would dramatically change our offence with the deep class. Get a center in the second. It's a very attractive idea...just have to consider the contract it's going to take to get cousins here.

dogg likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

Jets need a difference maker on the outside to help Leonard Williams. Also allows Adams to play more in coverage.

Perhaps the Jets are evaluating a trade up for Rosen or Darnold but they aren't guaranteed production out of the gate. Darnold, not sure if he should be a day 1 starter. Rosen, he is, however the Jets could be wary of his concussions and ability to play under pressure.

Mac tried trading for Kirk a while back, there s history there. Mac is going to try and get his guy. I believe he rates Cousins above those guys.

dogg likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't see any window for a SB in that scenario unless the Jets hit all their draft picks and get cheap stars out of them.

I'd much rather draft a QB in the 1st and the 4th in this draft and add an offensive lineman and a tight end in free agency, maybe taking flyers on second tier RB's or WR's if they find a flat market.

The Jets are two drafts away from having an abundance of cheap young talent, this assuming they draft better than they have in the last 3 seasons. The only plus players to come out of the last 3 drafts, players you can view as potential stars at this point, are Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. The Jets need to find at least that many guys on the offensive side before you can project them as having a SB window.

Getting Cousins will just make it clear how far away the Jets actually are because he's going to be dealing with all the shortfalls around him right off the bat.

If you think 5-11 with Fitzpatrick and McCown was bad wait until the Jets win 5-7 games after making Cousins the richest player in NFL history.

#1325 Br4d, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  6. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what will happen and the jets will continue being a laughingstock.

NYJetsO12, Br4d and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Signing Cousins might be the safe play for Mac and Bowles, but it is anything BUT the smartest thing to do. In a deep QB draft like this, the #3 or #4 QB could wind up being just as good, if not better than the top 2-3 QBs.

ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And if he is good he is cheap and good which is the kind of QB you win SB's with.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He'll be cheap for four years. Then if he's any good he'll be more expensive than Cousins. So I take it unless he becomes the next Brady or Rodgers you'll advocate for us to let him walk in four years from now? Even if he puts up top 10 numbers, by your logic with Cousins you have to say yes.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Just because his price will go up doesn't mean the Jets should or would have to get rid of him. Who said he'd be paid more than Cousins? There's absolutely no proof of that. Cousins' value was escalated because he was tagged so many times.

Besides, that QB would only be 25 or 26. Even if he WAS more expensive, he'd still be with the Jets for a long time. Cousins won't. Your's is the logic fail.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Check out the Washington forums, you will find the vast majority of the Redskins fans are very unhappy with the FO for failing to sign Cousins to a long term deal and most want Bruce Allen fired.

12. TonyFtLaud

Just like the guy who decides not to date the girl after she turns him down multiple times........

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

They offered him what was the largest guaranteed contract in league history at the time. That's pretty telling.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

That's the nature of free agency. Every year the market is reset and salaries go up. Doesn't matter if we have an UDFA at league minimum, the LT or any FA is going to want the most money they can get, and if they are one of the better Players at their position, they will be overpaid. That's why you can not build a team in free agency. Only add a couple of players at positions of need.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

And Favre had the best season of his career the very next year after leaving the Jets. Just saying.....

FJF likes this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Spending that much guaranteed on Kirk Cousins scares the shit out of me. It's basically a guarantee that Cousins and say Nelson is the best combination possible for the Jets to be better next year; I'm afraid of what missing on this QB class means for our long term prospects vs our competitors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

When I see people talk about being scared and afraid when it comes to the QB market, I think of the Seahawks. Good thing they weren’t scared and afraid of spending money and picks on QBs.

Cousins isn’t Wilson, and Wilson wasn’t a free agent. But the point is be aggressive and get the guys you think can be winners.

18. 101GangGreen101

As long as Rosen, Jackson or Darnold aren't in our division, I'll sleep at night.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would actually love Jackson in our division. That means one of the Dolphins or Bills wasted a pick on him and will spend 3 years trying to make him an NFL QB.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well ..I have and the fan base is split . No clear majority on him staying and feeling bad if he leaves..

Just look at the FACTS : Guy lost in the Playoffs in 2015...and the Team has not returned ...Sound familiar??