Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We'll suffer because every player on the Jets who might go free agent is going to want top of the market money also if the Jets are paying a good but not great QB top of the market money.

It's the Revis-Wilkerson effect when it happens and it really sucks.

Try signing a top 10 LT to a cost-effective deal when you are paying your top 15 QB $30M a year.

twown and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Well the point has never been is he elite. We know hes not and he never will be. The point was price. I have and will always state, if you get him for 17 mil to a high of maybe 20 ehhh ok. I still dont think hes worth that much but i get it. 25 plus??? No way.

He doesnt make your team that much better without the pieces. Those pieces you need are gonna come at a hefty price. Next thing you know in 2 or 3 years well be cap strapped cutting guys who hell need just to get under the cap. So well be in rebuild mode perpetually.

If we were further along in the rebuild id be inclined to maybe agree more with you. But we arent and we still have a long way to go. I know its not what people want to hear, but this team was gutted and you cant fill that in a year or 2. Not in a sustainable way. Its time to be sustainable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we don't have a lt to sign. either A we draft one this year or B we sign another mid tier beechum type(retain beechum) next year. we are in a very bittersweet position right now. we can do this easily because we have no one else worth paying and no one on the immediate horizon either. by the time we do, cousins contract will either be voidable or a bargain

dogg and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

It really is true? Most of the dingbats on this site actually think Mac and Blowes are simply smarter than McCloughan and Jay Gruden. What is it that makes them say that? Is it that fabulous SB winning resume that Mac and Blowes have? NO. The fact is this is complete blind faith like all of the Jim Jones followers. Hell, they've already guzzled gallons of the Kool-Aid.

The facts are the following:

1) Mac is a suspect GM. All of his draft picks since coming to town have been so-so at best. The 2016 draft is garbage for the ages. There is NOTHING other than blind faith as reason to stroke this genius.

2) Blowes is a BAD HC. His win/loss states exactly that. There is no one who would ever call 20-28 a good record. He consistently makes the very same mistakes over and over again like it's 2015 all over again.

3) Kirk Cousins is a QB that has put up decent numbers, but has actually won absolutely nothing of note in his tenure in Washington with a roster that I would say is much more talented than the Jets. Besides the Browns the Jets are probably the least talented team in the league. Another noteworthy triumph Mac has done for the Jets over the last 3 years.

So there it is. That's the factual and objective take on Mac, Blowes, and Cousins. There is ZERO reason to be respecting those idiots.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless you're from DC, I think it's a pretty fair statement. It isn't like NY where most people aren't Jets fans. Pretty much everyone native to the area who follows football is a Redskins fan. And I purposely ask them their opinion on Cousins because I want to know what we'll be getting ourselves into if we sign him. They've made me feel better about it, not worse.

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah when he gets here and puts on the Jets uniform those days are over. He's not used to working with our savvy coaching staff. Their in game adjustments and astute clock management will put him on the path to that long eluded playoff success.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont live in NY so i dont really have an feeling of what thats like. Where i live in south jersey is an NFC east hotbed. Everyone here besides me likes an NFC east team.....and rare and random Oakland raiders fan. Not to mention i scour the internet for other teams boards. There def isnt a unanimous love of him. I dont doubt that you jave heard people day they want to keep him. But from what ive seen and heard, theyre ready to move on.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

All the more reason for my pessimism with this deal. Tho like i said before I think this will be Bowles last year. I like him, but hes not gonna get us over the hump without making changes

NYJetsO12 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  9. Br4d

Cousins contract will never be a bargain if he gets top of the market money.

He's not that good. He's a good QB who is incapable of carrying a team to the playoffs. Nobody in that skill range should be getting top of the market money. If you want to say that free agency creates scarcity in the QB market and that somehow it benefits us to pay through the nose for a good QB, well you'd need to show me the teams that paid top dollar for any QB and got anything out of it. Not in free agency, anywhere.

Even Peyton Manning's 2012 contract with the Denver Broncos was not top dollar and it included only $18M in guaranteed money, with the Broncos getting an out in the second year of the deal. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco all surpassed the income that Manning's contract guaranteed him at the time it was signed. He was an all-time great headed for the Hall of Fame and he didn't get the best contract in the land.

Ok, so you say Manning was injured and missed 2011 and that's why his contract fell short. Well, he was the 5th highest paid QB over the next two years as well.

Note that all of the guys mentioned in front of Manning had won Super Bowls before hitting the top contracts and none of them did after that. Manning was ranked 5th at $19.2M the year that the Broncos won with him.

Paying Kirk Cousins as though he is Aaron Rodgers isn't going to turn him into Aaron Rodgers. It's going to remove about $10M in cap space that could be used for a Pro Bowl caliber player elsewhere on the field and Cousins is still going to be just a good QB.

10. FJF

using manning coming off a missed season and nerve regeneration is a bit misleading, don't you think? of course if that hadn't happened he wouldn't have been available because the colts wouldn't have had the suck for luck year. just out of curiosity, have you looked at the drafts from the saints.packers,ravens since they signed their qbs? its not pretty for any of them.

LAJet likes this.
  11. Br4d

None of that matters though.

You seem to think that the way the NFL works is that you pay huge contracts to players to get into position to win Super Bowls.

In fact it is exactly the opposite of that. You win Super Bowls at which point you have to pay huge contracts to players which then take you out of position to win future Super Bowls.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This is a lesser of two evils thing though. If you want to accomplish anything in the NFL you need a legit QB. That's the end of that discussion. You simply won't go anywhere without one. So if you don't have one, but could get one by "overpaying" in a way having the good fortune to have an opportunity to overpay for one is a blessing not a curse.

Plus with the QB position inflation what looks like a big overpay now might not look so out of line a couple years from now.

FJF likes this.
  13. FJF

you have to stop playing the game on a calculator brad.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Building through the draft and supplementing the core with good FA signings is the way to build a sustainable contender. Mac needs to hit a few home runs this year.

15. Br4d

I don't think Championships are won any other way.

There are no accidental NFL Super Bowl winners. Even the teams that came out of nowhere like the 1999 Rams had very low-priced stars like Kurt Warner making cap space for the guys like Marshall Faulk and Orlando Pace who had large contracts. If Kurt Warner had been paid what he was worth, let alone top dollar that year the Rams have to let somebody else go.

See also the 2013 Seahawks, who were paying Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman next to nothing and had money for guys like Marshawn Lynch, Russell Okung and Earl Tomas.

#1295 Br4d, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Three LIKES to your Post when there SHOULD be THIRTY..

Keep speaking the TRUTH Br4d

Cousins is like Fake News..but apparently he's the Opium for the TGG Masses these days

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What are you NOT getting????...like Br4d said "Cousins is a good QB..but incapable of leading a team to the Playoffs"...so you OVERPAY OR UNDERPAY FOR WHAT???

So in fact he is NOT A LEGIT QB at all .."to accomplish anything in the NFL".. unless you consider racking up stats between the goalposts without reaching the playoffs your desired outcome???

That TO ME is a waste ....and after 50 years as a fan ..not what I am looking for at all

I would rather trade up, take my chances that way, and build around some talent like Rosen, Darnold or Baker M

18. FJF

Except for the fact that he;you know, did actually take the redskins to the playoffs . But fuck facts right?

19. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

You could argue that if you have no QB, you are probably either overpaying any other larger contracts on your team, or wasting the talent of the low cost rookies while they're still low cost.

On the flip side, if you give a large contract to the QB, but have a bunch of other low-priced stars, would you still be in the same situation as you mentioned above with the 99 Rams and 13 Seahawks? Except having low-priced stars such as Barkley/Adams/Enunwa/Anderson (assuming draft picks worked out, which is where you get the low-priced talent) allows you to have large contract players like Cousins and, say, Ziggy Ansah.

FJF likes this.
  20. Br4d

If we build the low-priced stars team and it's ready to go I have no problem adding a high-priced QB to finish the mix. That's what the Broncos did.

If we add the QB first, well what are the odds we then manage to find a bunch of low-priced stars to complements him? 1%? Probably less given our track record.